SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

What is the issue with the peace symbol?

Discussion started on

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I happened to spot a "review" on Amazon where the reader gave one-star to a  book she said she will not read because it has a peace symbol on the cover and the peace symbol conflicts with her faith.

I didn't understand--what is the issue with a peace symbol?
#1 - March 28, 2013, 08:07 PM

Hmmm. From a Christian's point of view, not sure why peace would conflict with faith? Unless she's purely connecting the symbol to the hippie movement and its perceived wild lifestyle? Stumped.
#2 - March 28, 2013, 08:47 PM
SWAY, 2012 from Disney-Hyperion
CIRCA NOW, 2014 from Disney-Hyperion
http://www.ambermcreeturner.com
https://www.facebook.com/SwayByAmberMcReeTurner

Although the peace symbol was designed in 1958 and represents two semaphore letters (n and d for nuclear disarmament) some people have been taught that it is an upside-down broken cross-- a 'satanic' sign.  That is very sad.

eab
#3 - March 28, 2013, 09:00 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
It is sad that people would view it that way. I'm not sure a lot of young people really even associate it with peace now either, it's just a symbol on a T-shirt in Wal-mart, you know?
#4 - March 29, 2013, 04:19 AM

Interesting. I had no idea where it came from or that people really thought it was satanic. 

It also seems unfair to the writer to base a poor review on the cover art--and to allow the review to remain up when the reviewer didn't even read the first pages the book.
#5 - March 29, 2013, 05:00 AM
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
It also seems unfair to the writer to base a poor review on the cover art--and to allow the review to remain up when the reviewer didn't even read the first pages the book.

There are crazy Amazon reviews everywhere--for example, I've seen any number of them in which a reviewer gives a book 1 star because Amazon didn't ship quickly enough. ??
#6 - March 29, 2013, 06:09 AM
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
VAMPIRINA AT THE BEACH (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Chronic
Poster Plus
Probably one of the folks who think that if you play your vinyl rock and roll records backwards (not that most people have them anymore) they reveal satanic worship  :duh. I mean the peace symbol, really?
#7 - March 29, 2013, 07:17 AM
Film school grad. Time traveller. Billy Bragg fan. Canadian/Irish novelist of character-driven fiction from sci-fi to slice of life.

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
 :hijacked

There are crazy Amazon reviews everywhere--for example, I've seen any number of them in which a reviewer gives a book 1 star because Amazon didn't ship quickly enough. ??

A friend got a one star b/c the reviewer didn't like erotica. The book was a legal thriller! Not even so much as a smooch was exchanged. My friend asked Amazon to remove it, and after a little bit of back and forth, they did.
#8 - March 29, 2013, 07:21 AM
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:24 AM by Bridgette Booth »
bridgettebooth.com
twitter.com/Bridgette_Booth

Poster Plus
I didn't do any fact-checking on this but found it interesting...(I looked around because I know I've seen the peace symbol in my travels where the meaning was obviously not the post-1950's meaning...maybe in Caodai temples in Vietnam? I'll have to look through my photos.)

http://www.teachpeace.com/peacesymbolhistory.htm

#9 - March 29, 2013, 07:38 AM

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I didn't do any fact-checking on this but found it interesting...(I looked around because I know I've seen the peace symbol in my travels where the meaning was obviously not the post-1950's meaning...maybe in Caodai temples in Vietnam? I'll have to look through my photos.)

Interesting! I guess if someone goes back far enough in time, probably he can find an insidious meaning in just about any symbol! 
#10 - March 29, 2013, 08:29 AM

Russell's primary interest in the symbol was to communicate defeat, despair, and disrespecting Jesus. Secret societies advancing the Great Plan enjoy seeing people, especially young children, wearing the peace symbol with the arms down because in their Luciferian religion they believe deception produces a dark energy helping to pave the way for the Antichrist.

Yeah, right.

#11 - March 29, 2013, 09:36 AM

Probably one of the folks who think that if you play your vinyl rock and roll records backwards (not that most people have them anymore) they reveal satanic worship  :duh. I mean the peace symbol, really?
There's a lot of misinformation out there. I know people like this. They want to do the right thing and "facts" get passed around like a game of telephone till standing for what's right means no peace symbol. Often a gentle discussion can correct things.
#12 - March 29, 2013, 10:03 AM
Robin

From the same website:

People often claim Harry Potter books are just fantasy and do not include real witchcraft. Sadly, this is not true. The Harry Potter series is an abomination. To find Harry Potter is not introducing people to white and black magic is to make a compromise with the powers and principalities of darkness.

They also claim that the 9/11 memorial is filled with occult symbolism and have vague allusions to a number of secret societies and other conspiracy theories.

#13 - March 29, 2013, 10:07 AM

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Russell's primary interest in the symbol was to communicate defeat, despair, and disrespecting Jesus. Secret societies advancing the Great Plan enjoy seeing people, especially young children, wearing the peace symbol with the arms down because in their Luciferian religion they believe deception produces a dark energy helping to pave the way for the Antichrist.

Yeah, right.

OMG. :faint
#14 - March 29, 2013, 10:08 AM
2018:
Start Your Babysitting Business (Capstone)
Deadly Bites (Saddleback)
Hip-Hop Bios: Future (ABDO)
Twitter: @mg_higgins

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member

That webpage is full of hogwash, to put it mildly.

Apparently the sign has been used before, if you read the comments here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7292252.stm

Nothing sinister, though.
#15 - March 29, 2013, 07:12 PM
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 08:40 PM by Franzilla »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
With regard to poor reviews made by ignorant people, a counter-review might be helpful. You know, multiple stars and a comment saying that it's not fair to rate a book you didn't even read for gosh sake.  Too bad we can't rate the reviews, lol.
#16 - March 29, 2013, 10:34 PM
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Bobi, I agree. The point here isn't to discuss what this or that religion thinks of this or that symbol, according to this or that person. What's appalling is the complete lack of credibility of some of these so-called reviews. If I want a review, I go to Kirkus, SLJ, HB, etc., or to bloggers I trust.
#17 - March 30, 2013, 07:44 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
Just to clarify here...I was absolutely not presenting that website as anything other than where anybody with 1 minute and google might get negative information about a peace symbol (or anything else for that matter.) I guess I didn't make that clear.

Oh, and the symbols all over the Caodai temples were actually the eye inside a pyramid (that appears on US paper currency and also has some wacky interpretations out there.)
#18 - March 31, 2013, 12:41 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Just to clarify here...I was absolutely not presenting that website as anything other than where anybody with 1 minute and google might get negative information about a peace symbol (or anything else for that matter.) I guess I didn't make that clear.

Oh, and the symbols all over the Caodai temples were actually the eye inside a pyramid (that appears on US paper currency and also has some wacky interpretations out there.)

I'll admit that reading this made me breathe a big sigh of relief, TH!

Yes, I've also heard funny stories about the eye and the pyramid. I read something similarly conspiracy-based about a Disney film recently. I think if you dig around there are probably conspiracy stories about almost anything that's popular/ubiquitous/or almost anything to do with politics/religion/government, ie anything at all!
#19 - March 31, 2013, 05:52 PM

Poster Plus
Thanks, Franzilla...yeah, I was pretty mortified when I realized how people read what I'd posted. I guess I use "interesting" in the way someone who hates your curtains calls them "interesting".  This is why I don't post all that often. :-(
#20 - March 31, 2013, 08:19 PM

Members: