SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Landlord Catfight

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
A bit of a rant here: most of you who've read my posts know that I got a new kitten a few months ago. He settled in nicely. Today, however, my landlord approached me on exit from my flat and said he had received a complaint from another tenant of a smell out back of urine. I haven't let Spock out yet so it couldn't be him. Landlord said he might have to ask me to give Spock up if the smell continues. Regardless of smell, I wouldn't let an un-neutered kitten outdoors. Any thoughts on what I can do? Thanks
#1 - April 19, 2013, 07:40 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
Hmmm...that is a mystery, since your kitty is an indoor cat. Maybe there is a natural deterrent, like a spice or other  non-toxic product that would make your property less desirable to strays?
#2 - April 19, 2013, 09:10 AM
Butterfly Girl (middle grade novel, Clear Fork Publishing, spring 2018)
Ten Clever Ninjas (picture book, Clear Fork Publishing, summer 2018)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
My cat is only an indoor cat because he has FIV. He actually landed in the backyard as a feral kitten. He must have fallen in, so obviously there are other feral cats around. It's doubtful, but that could be a contributory factor.
I just returned home after a visit to town and John reminded me that we have a leaking toilet which is something that needs to be addressed.
I visited a tenancy advisory office in the city and have an appointment on Monday. There was a man tiling the bathroom this morning and put a question to him: "we have a gas shower and need to switch on the gas which heats the entire building for at least half an hour it heats the water, how easy would it be to get an electric one? The other tenants have one."
His response: "well, for a start, I'd have to remove these tiles and totally rewire your bathroom."
It would seem to me that a cat would be the least of my landlord's worries!
Sorry to be a grouch, but I have a list a mile long. My cooker has been replaced three times in seven years!
#3 - April 19, 2013, 09:37 AM

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Show your landlord the kitten's litterbox, maybe that would help.

Or, if you know someone who could take the kitten for a few days, and if there are still complaints about the smell it will show it is not your kitten.

:goodluck

#4 - April 19, 2013, 01:51 PM

Cats bury their urine as you know. Usually when humans smell cat urine, it is right after the cat urinated on something like a bed or a pile of clothes, which is normally done by indoor cats as a way to get attention. Outdoors? I would be really surprised if any person could smell cat urine outdoors unless the cat was ill. Like I said, cats bury it. It also does not usually come out in such a large volume as to leave a smell for a long time. When people describe something as smelling like urine, they are usually referring to the type of urine they are most familiar with: people urine. You can definitely smell human urine outside and if someone told me they smelled urine, I'd guess they were actually smelling human urine. Cat urine has a very specific odor that is different from human urine.

You could remind your landlord of all this, but there is a chance he knows already. Is he a nice person or is he someone you don't trust? I am wondering if he has some other motivation for wanting you to possibly not keep your kitty, and he's just using this as an excuse.

If I were in your situation, I would just tell my landlord that you've thought it over and that as it's almost impossible for the smell to have been cat urine, and definitely impossible for it to have been your specific cat's urine since he is indoors, you were wondering if there were any other concerns that he had about your cat. I'd let him know that I'd really like the opportunity to address these, because your cat is a part of your family and you can't imagine giving him up, but at the same time you want to be a respectful tenant and you'd certainly like to know if there is something you can do to make him or other tenants more comfortable.

I just suggest this because sometimes if you are direct and open with people you have the best chance of finding out their motivations, which can help you solve the problem. I also thought ButterflyGirl's suggestion of something to deter other cats was a great idea. But if your landlord has ulterior motives, you made need a Plan B.

Good luck! I am sending good thoughts your way -- I remember from an earlier thread that you've had a hard year as a cat owner.
#5 - April 19, 2013, 02:21 PM
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:23 PM by Christine B. »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I may be completely off base with this, but I used to advise tenants on tenant law in my town. I don't know what state you live in, but I'm wondering if there could be some connection between your request for a new heater and the accusation of cat urine odor. It wasn't clear to me from your post what the sequence of events was.

I can tell you that sometimes landlords retaliate against tenants for making legitimate requests. They try to get demanding tenants to move out. In many states including mine (California) this is against the law. One of the few rights tenants have is the right not to be evicted for a reasonable request, especially if it involves a legal right. Landlords know this and will sometimes try to find other ways to get a tenant to move out.

In other words, is it possible that your landlord is seeking a way to get you to move because of some other issue?  I have absolutely NO idea if this is the case, but it wouldn't be the first time I've seen it happen.
#6 - April 19, 2013, 03:26 PM
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 04:21 PM by Betsy »
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Thundering, I hope the anti-kitten landlord is reasonable and you gets you a heater too ...
Vijaya
#7 - April 19, 2013, 03:54 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Let me be clear: we have the heat-too much of it! The problem is that we have to turn the heating on to have a shower. This heats a three storey house separated in flats, thus the other residents are heated too. I spoke to an electrician who said for us to get an electric shower the entire house would need to be rewired. There are so many things wrong with this place, it would cost landlord thousands to rectify them. My problem is that the stench is in the backyard and I can't convince landlord it isn't my cat.
#8 - April 19, 2013, 04:07 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I hope you get it resolved, Thundering. And that you find out your rights at the tenant advisory meeting. For what it's worth, I believe you about the kitten. Hope you can make the landlord believe it too.
#9 - April 19, 2013, 04:24 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Members: