SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Last day of university

Discussion started on

bookworm452

I didn't know where to post this. What happens on the last day of university (on in your last year but in your first year). I'm hopefully (should I get the grades) going to university in September and I'm just curious.
#1 - April 26, 2013, 07:18 AM

Do you mean the last day of classes--what happens in them?  We operate on a semester-by-semester basis, so basically there are two "last days" each year (one in December, and another in May, typically) at the end of each semester.

For my students, it's often been a day to show up to class, talk about your average, maybe turn in a few assignments (if I'm allowing some sort of "late" exception).  A very easy day.  Mostly I have grades already calculated.  I may give an extra-credit writing assignment that they can do right there in class for one extra point, or something.  But we don't normally have big exams on the very last day.  Often, they're on the second-to-last.  Gives the teachers more time to grade them before official grades are due at the Registrar's office.

Because our school allows you to have a certain number of absences without it affecting your grade, students who have attended class regularly all semester may "use" on of their absences and skip the last day entirely.  But a few of the nicest ones come anyway--they're in the habit, they just want to say hello, goodbye, thank you, or they want to do the extra credit assignment (even though that kind of person usually has a high grade already!).
#2 - April 26, 2013, 07:33 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
But if you mean the last day before you go home....I don't know how it is at other schools, but for me, everyone left on different days, depending mostly on when their last final exam was. So if all your final exams were on the first two days of exam week, you might be gone before some people with unluckier schedules were even done with exams. (The same was true for which day you left to go home for winter break.)
#3 - April 26, 2013, 08:38 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
That also depends on what country you live in, as I expect there are differences between British and American colleges/universities.
#4 - April 28, 2013, 11:02 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

bookworm452

That also depends on what country you live in, as I expect there are differences between British and American colleges/universities.

Most likely. English universities.
#5 - April 28, 2013, 11:43 AM

Members: