My Cats are in Grave Danger!

Discussion started on

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
It's 6:00 AM. The cats are tearing madly through the house. "It is obvious they are going to soon starve to death" because there is a PAT OF BUTTER sitting on top of their dry food in their food dish. They are refusing to eat their food because if they do "THEY MIGHT EAT SOME OF THAT BUTTER" which would help them to PASS their hairballs instead of being able to cough them up all over the floors in the house. It is obvious to the cats that THAT BUTTER PAT is poison! :cat :cat
#1 - May 26, 2013, 06:35 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
I sympathise immensely, Verla. It is lunch time here and I've just made a chicken and cheese sandwich. Spock has followed in his predecessor's pawsteps and developed a taste for cheese.
It has created quite a predicament for both myself and John since our place is so small.  We've had to resort to locking Spock in my room or the bathroom. Either that, or go on "meal" rota.  I am currently munching at my lunch whilst John has Spock in the lounge with a brush wedging my bedroom door shut from the outside. (no key for my room)

Why do we love these invading little beasts so much?
Must go. John needs to eat.
#2 - May 26, 2013, 07:13 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Verla, I think it's obvious that someone needs to report you to the nearest animal welfare agency. :jail
#3 - May 26, 2013, 07:25 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Verla, that is so funny. I can just imagine them stalking the food dish. Maybe they'll pounce upon it and discover how much they love a pat of butter ...
Try some Vaseline with tuna. My kitties love that too.
Vijaya
#4 - May 26, 2013, 07:41 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
This reminds me of my mother's cat who loved butter. She had to hide it from him or he would lick his way through a whole stick.
#5 - May 26, 2013, 08:59 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
 :lol5 Verla! I hope your cats eat soon.

We once bought something from the vet for our cat. I think it was called Laxotone or something like that. But you had to rub it on their nose and they said the cat would lick it off BUT our cat was NOT very happy with us putting that sticky stuff on his nose.

I bet Vaseline with tuna would have worked much easier. I will have to remember that! 
#6 - May 26, 2013, 09:41 AM
'Vehicle Dreams Series' Running Press Kids
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale 2015

They also have this stuff in the pet store that's like a tube of beef-flavored greasey clear stuff.  It's basically vaseline-and-tuna ready-made.  Our cats would lick it off our fingers (TMI?).
#7 - May 26, 2013, 10:06 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Hmm. I don't know if our cats would eat tuna or not. I suppose I could buy some tuna packed in OIL instead of in water and see if they would eat that. I might try one can and see.... Three times in one day of a cat spitting up hairballs (with one incident in each of the two days before) has driven me to drastic measures!
#8 - May 26, 2013, 10:34 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I read in a cat-care book some time ago that you can smear Vaseline on their front legs. They'll of course lick it off, and presto, ingested. I've found it to work.
#9 - May 26, 2013, 10:52 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
Cats cannot stand anything on their paws. Try smearing the butter on one upper paw, even if they hate it, they will lick it all off. Repeat as necessary :).

PS: don't put so much on they can fling it off as they race around the room to lose it! (Been there...)
#10 - May 26, 2013, 02:05 PM
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press, 2015
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com
https://twitter.com/catherineawinn

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
:lmao Cathie! What an image that invokes. Hubby and I are both doubled over with laughter!
#11 - May 26, 2013, 02:27 PM
Verla Kay

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I've had cats that have loved the laxatone(? hairball medicine) and would lick it straight from the tube every night.  In fact if you forgot to give him his 'treat' he would have a hissy fit and drive you crazy until you got the tube down so he could have some. Others, you sort of had to put on their nose, but they did not object widely too this.

This is also something you must be careful not to put too much on or a cat that doesn't like it will fling it right back at you. 
#12 - May 26, 2013, 03:39 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Oh Verla, my cat would give anything to get to butter. She's in LOVE with butter!
#13 - May 26, 2013, 03:59 PM
Robin

My cats are like Robin's, they'd love to get their paws on some butter!
#14 - May 26, 2013, 05:24 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
This makes me glad that I have shih tzus instead of cats.
#15 - May 26, 2013, 05:53 PM

My cats love butter too.

Another thing my cat (at least my male cat) loves is coconut oil. I use it as a moisturizer and when I happen to be in shorts, straight from the shower boy cat will lick my leg--not that I let him do this but it must smell good enough to want to taste. It might be an alternative to butter.

This is food grade, unrefined coconut oil which I use for cooking as well.

I didn't know about this trick. As one of mine keeps coughing up nasty stuff, I might have to try this.
#16 - May 27, 2013, 05:05 AM
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:14 AM by L.E. Falcone »

Ah, Verla. How dare you put butter in their bowl?

Ree
#17 - May 28, 2013, 06:54 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Ah, Verla. How dare you put butter in their bowl?

Ree
Oops. Well, that's me being reported to animal welfare, then. Moggy was partial to his cattuccino of milky coffee and as you can see, he was a yogi-cat. I couldn't stop him.

Spock hasn't developed such desperate dietary tendencies.
He just prefers to bear gifts of noodles and punnets of mushrooms!
#18 - May 28, 2013, 08:17 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
:-) It took two days, but the cats FINALLY ate the last of the crunchy food that had the melted butter on it. So they got their butter. Ha!

The only cod liver we could find is in pills. Perhaps I'll stick the pills into "pill pockets" and stuff them down their throats. (NOT a fun thing to do.) Unless I can cut them open and they eat it on their own? I'll try that first....
#19 - May 28, 2013, 08:36 AM
Verla Kay

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Sigh.
I thought that with the passing of darling Moggy, my days of felines attempting to obtain restricted foodstuffs were over. I was wrong.
The alien is as bad as his predecessor. Spaghetti, potato, rice! All of them have been pinched by Spock.
Mind you, raw noodles was a bit of a first for me. But that was more of a gift...I think.

Verla: Moggy mastered the art of opening the fridge to get at the butter, but never bothered with cream. Yoghurts were never safe.
#20 - May 28, 2013, 09:01 AM

Members: