SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Help! Can't delete line in Word doc

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I wanted to indicate sections in my manuscript, so I held down shift and the hyphen key. I made a two inch long line. Then I hit enter, and the line extended by itself to the right side of my page. Great.

Now I want to get rid of this line, and I can't! Anybody a Word wizard?

Jody
#1 - November 07, 2013, 09:11 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

I just tried to repeat what you did in Word.  In my version, after I hit enter and the line extended all the way across . . . yes, I could not click on this line to select it or delete it.

BUT I was able to place my blinking cursor right under it, on the following line (on the left margin) and hit "delete" and it backed right up to delete the previous long-line line.  So it went away.
#2 - November 07, 2013, 09:29 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Thanks, Jaina. I wonder if it's the version of Word I'm using. What you suggested doesn't work for me. I can't even get my cursor below this line!

I ought to print out the doc and see if it's only on my screen and wouldn't be on the actual paper.

Choosing borders/delete, etc. also doesn't work. Nor does copy/pasting the doc into a black Word doc. The darn line is still there. Ack!
#3 - November 07, 2013, 09:34 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Okay. Got it. I copied and pasted my text into an email. Then I copied and pasted it back onto a blank Word document. Voila! But what a pain.

I'll think twice before doing the shift + hyphen line anytime soon.

Thanks, Jaina.
#4 - November 07, 2013, 09:45 AM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

I'm so glad it worked out! I was at a loss because I'm so stinkin' bad at some of this Word stuff when it automatically does something that's supposed to be helpful, and I'm like what?? No!  NO NO NO! 

In the computer lab where I work, I dread students saying things like "Will you help me with this outline?  These won't line up . . ."  Inevitably someone's try to use some auto-formatting thing and it's all gone bonkers.  All I can say is--thank goodness for the "undo" button.  And thank goodness for the Word gurus in our lab who can step in when I'm flummoxed!
#5 - November 07, 2013, 09:58 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I'm glad you found a way to fix it, Jody!

Whenever I have something strange show up in Word, I immediately hit the undo button, and that does the trick (just in case anything pops up in the future).
#6 - November 07, 2013, 10:05 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I know what you mean, Jaina!

Thanks, Mindy! I love Undo!
#7 - November 07, 2013, 10:17 AM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
That's happened to me several times. I'll put the line in, but then change my mind after it's too late to undo. It can take forever to get rid of it. Glad you figured out a solution.
#8 - November 07, 2013, 12:59 PM
CALL ME AMY (Luminis Books, 2013)
AMY'S CHOICE (Luminis Books, 2014)
ROLLER BOY (Fitzroy Books, 2018)
www.marciastrykowski.com
Twitter: @MarciaStry

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Seems like it should be a no-brainer, Marcia, but apparently it's bigger than mine can handle!
#9 - November 07, 2013, 02:03 PM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

When you create the line, you actually create a border. So to delete it, put the cursor above the line and then click on the little arrow to the right of the border icon (right under the backwords P that let's you see hidden characters) and select No Border (fifth option).

That'll do it.

#10 - November 08, 2013, 02:16 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Once again David rides to the rescue! I've only run into this issue once and I think I solved it by starting all over. This is very good to know, and I've been using Word since Word6 was a pup :thankyou
#11 - November 08, 2013, 02:53 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
Blessings on you, David Wright, for posting your solution to this problem. I needed it today!
#12 - May 23, 2014, 08:42 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
David! I came back here today to read how to do this again, and again it worked, thanks to you!  :bananakilt
#13 - June 17, 2014, 01:39 PM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

:) Happy to help
#14 - June 17, 2014, 02:52 PM

Members: