SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

how to copy query into email w/o losing indents

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I know someone must have a great solution to this!   :huh   I've finished my manuscript, it's been critiqued and revised, and is, I hope, quite lovely.  But when I cut and paste the first 10 pages into outlook to email a query, it loses all its indents.   :beating   Any good solutions??  Other than retyping the first 10 pages for every agent!

Thanks,
Rebecca
#1 - May 28, 2014, 03:19 PM

Had the same thing happen today - I went through and indented everything manually, but it doesn't happen every time I copy/paste, so I'm confused.
#2 - May 28, 2014, 04:13 PM
www.jancoates.ca
2018, Talking to the Moon
2018, A Halifax Time-Travelling Tune
2016, Sky Pig
2015, The King of Keji
2014, Rocket Man

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I believe some agents prefer a single spaced block style. But if you want to double space and indent, here's what I do.

Highlight the text in your message. Click Format Text tab at the top. Click the tiny arrow in the bottom right of the Paragraph box (you'll find your spacing options in this box) at the top. Find Indentation about halfway down, then on the right find Special. Click the down arrow and choose First Line and say Okay.

Good Luck!
#3 - May 28, 2014, 06:25 PM

Sometimes First Line indent doesn't work.

In those cases, I use Replace (top left corner of Home tab in Word).
I put ^p (shift 6, p) in the find box and ^p^t (shift 6, p, shift 6, t) in the replace box. Then I Replace All and copy/paste my document into my email.

And I don't save changes in Word because I don't want to keep the funky indents :)

BTW: The replace looks for paragraph ending marks and puts a tab at the start of the next paragraph.
#4 - May 28, 2014, 06:46 PM

Fabulist
Poster Plus
The problem with formatting emails is that it might get all fudged up on the agent's end. Everything I've ever read about queries recommended you single space between paragraphs.
#5 - May 28, 2014, 07:00 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Rebecca, it probably would be helpful if you'd note which version of Word are you using, and whether you are using a PC or a Mac. You can add that to your original post via the Modify button on the top right side of the the frame.
#6 - May 28, 2014, 08:01 PM
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 08:04 PM by AnneB »

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I agree with Daniella that it's safest to block space emails.

I could be wrong but I bet agents are quite used to messed-up formatting if the request pasted pages. Can they read beyond it? I hope so.
#7 - May 28, 2014, 08:06 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

DEADWOOD, Spencer Hill, 2014
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
What Kelly and Daniella said. Agents prefer block formatting, and are used to receiving wonkily-formatted emails.
#8 - May 29, 2014, 07:37 AM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

Members: