SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

need help with Word 2013

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
I am one of these crazy writers who writes her ms. in longhand first. I'm now getting ready to type it into my new Word 2013 program....which is driving me nuts, it is so different from my previous Word program. Question: when I first save part of my document (I'm going to save it to my computer) - it will show up as "save as"; can I go back into it and add more text? In my old program, first came "save as", then "save" to ensure everything would still be there. Sorry for sounding so dense. I need to get this typed in within the next 10 days. The tutorial was just confusing to me. Any help along these lines would be greatly appreciated.

Leslie
#1 - June 18, 2014, 03:31 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Yes! You can always save more to the same doc. If you're on a PC, just use CTRL+S periodically as you type, or on a Mac use CMMD + S. I basically save this way after almost every paragraph I type, lol!
#2 - June 18, 2014, 04:35 AM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Thanks, Dina. But I also mean if I shut down the computer, then come back to the document a day later. The 'save as' has me worried what I type that next day will override what I did the day before!  Okay...so I am not the most computer-savvy person!  :confused2
#3 - June 18, 2014, 06:11 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I don't think I fully understand?

1. Type your document.
2. Click Save As and name the doc whatever and save it to your folder of choice.
3. After that if you click SAVE (no AS), it will overwrite your doc with the most recent changes. If you want to have each day's writing as a NEW file, then you must do SAVE AS each time and name the file something different.

Does that help?

I always email my files to myself, too, so I have them backed up elsewhere in case I forget to save or overwrite the wrong file, etc.
#4 - June 18, 2014, 09:26 AM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Thanks so much, Dina, I appreciate your help.

Leslie
#5 - June 18, 2014, 11:26 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Thanks for all the advice offered here.  I am just starting to use Word 13 also and all the menus are confusing.

And I like the idea of emailing the day's work to myself. I have lost work before and it is not a pretty thing.

Jan Boies
#6 - June 22, 2014, 08:34 PM

Members: