SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Better Skype?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Hi all,
I'd like to first say I am NOT a techie.  :spaz  Ahem, now on with my question. I recently had a Skype visit where everyone on the other side looked as though they were under water. Also, if the person asking the question was not right next to their computer, I couldn't understand them. I made sure everything on my side was shut down-- in order to save bandwidth, but neglected to mention they do that too. I don't know if that is what caused the problem but I'm wondering if there is a better way to get a clearer connection. Does Skype offer a premium service or something? I've seen snapshots of people during their visits and they're crystal clear.

Danette
#1 - July 01, 2014, 01:40 PM
THE TROUBLE WITH HALF A MOON
G.P. Putnam's Sons
SSYRA List 2012-2013

SAVING BABY DOE
G.P. Putnam's Sons

http://Danettevigilante.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I am not an expert, but my guess is that the problem in this case is not Skype but the computer equipment used by the school. Sounds like they were using a low-end mic and web cam, maybe just the one on a laptop, which would not have sufficient range for a classroom set-up. There's not much you can do about that, no matter what web conferencing system you use.

#2 - July 01, 2014, 02:36 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

DEADWOOD, Spencer Hill, 2014
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Members: