SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

done extensive research but can't find answer on page breaks in pic books

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
Hi, I have researched extensively about formatting a children's picture book manuscript.  I have a publisher I am submitting to that says
"Children's pic books : send your full manuscript including page breaks."

where I am confused is when researching, I get conflicting advice.  My book has short sentences and would have page breaks between all of them.  Some advice states" after that paragraph and leading into a new paragraph, I should have a page break and leave the rest of the paper blank and start the new paragraph on the next page."  That looks really strange, not to mention a waste of paper.  Other advice was to " insert (page break) after a space but then continue forward with the text on that same page."
I guess like:
     Blah blah words here....

(page break)

Blady-blah blah I should have listed to my mother and went to law school.

I am sorry if this was covered elsewhere, I couldn't find it!  please help!
thanks,
Erin
#1 - January 29, 2018, 11:26 AM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Hi Erin,
In my experience it's rare for a publisher to say they want to see page breaks. Given that, you may not receive lots of advice here. Given that too, here's a short part of my published nonfiction picture book, I've Got Feet!, which shows how page breaks were indicated. However, this was towards the end of the editing/revising period with my editor so someone else may well chime in with other recommendations.
Best of luck with your sub!

[pg 1]
design/art

[pg 2]
copyright info and dedication page
[pg3]
Title page

[pg 4-5]
Animal feet can walk, run, and kick. They can climb, jump, and dig. Some feet swim. Some catch food. What a lot of things animal feet can do!

[pg 6-7]
I’ve got fast feet! My feet are as quick as a car on the highway. Sidebar: Cheetah feet never slip. They have claws that grip the ground (even better than soccer shoes.)

PS Note how the double page spreads are indicated.
#2 - January 29, 2018, 01:31 PM
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (August 2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I've never seen anyone ask for page breaks; that sounds strange to me. But if I were doing it, I'd do what Julie suggested. Sending each line on a separate page sounds a bit over the top, right? I think her way is clear and clean.

Best of luck!
#3 - January 29, 2018, 02:39 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Erin, I've been asked sometimes to indicate page breaks and I indicate it as Julie has. However, even before I'm asked, I prepare a rudimentary dummy for all my picture books because it helps me to see how the page turns will work. If you google making PB dummies, you'll get lots of practical advice on how to make them. Good luck, Vijaya
#4 - January 29, 2018, 03:09 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I saw an editor speak yesterday, and she suggested doing just what Julie has. It wasn't a requirement for her though. She just used this as an example for anyone who wanted to submit that way. I do think it's becoming more common.
#5 - January 29, 2018, 08:25 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
It really depends upon the editor/publisher as far as how they want PB manuscripts sent to them. If someone asks for page breaks, yes, do this as shown above. Good luck!

#6 - January 30, 2018, 09:23 AM
ROYALLY ENTITLED (inspirational/historical YA) and OOPS-A-DAISY (humorous MG) out now.  http://www.melodydelgado.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Agree with above - it's fine with me if you describe the pagination, as above. (Or not).

What is NEVER done, in my experience, is *literally* paginating - In other words, don't send one line on one page, one line on a new page, etc. That is definitely weird, bad advice.
#7 - January 30, 2018, 11:58 AM
twitter: @literaticat
ask the agent: http://literaticat.tumblr.com/ask

Members: