SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Picture Books (PB) / Re: What is meant by "Query letters not accepted"?
« Last post by John Nez on May 29, 2022, 10:22 AM »
Yes, attachments can be problematic especially for web based responses where you're supposed to limit the size of the attachment. This is hard to do with even jpegs.

One thing that I've found difficult is some agents or publishers who are open to looking at work from an author/illustrator will have a size limit of 2 mb on their forms! 

Don't they realize it's almost impossible to show more than 3 images or maybe even just 1 image at that size?

I'm sure it's easy to put up a text PB or even novel that fits into 3 mb... but that's not the case with images. As we know, image files are composed of millions of bits of data, so it's difficult to show any kind of illustrated work with a 32 page dummy book that is smaller than 5 mb.

Sometimes I just have a sort of mix of story text and illustrations that I present as a jpeg... and that kind of works.  So attachments can be problematic.
Thank you JulieM, dewsanddamps, christripp, and Ree - this is all very helpful to me. I will heed your advice and get to work submitting my MS. Thanks so much!
I agree with the above. A great story will get attention regardless of how it is addressed.

Ree
Editors change publishers often, so even if you have a name from a source printed a yr ago, it could easily be out of date by the next yr. If unsure, there is nothing wrong with addressing your sub to "PB Editor" or "PB Acquisitions", for examples.
I also find Twitter helpful. Most Editors are on Twitter and using your example of " Creston Books
PUBLISHER & EDITOR: Marissa Moss", I find Marissa (as an Author) is there, plus a search of "Creston Books Editor" turns up Tweets also by Marissa, who was/is also the founder and lists a link to her web site. So in that presses case, addressing to Marissa turns out to be a safe bet.
Also great help to follow Editors on Twitter, to see their likes in PB's.
But really, in the end, it's a good query & manuscript that will get their attention, not your use of their proper name, don't be too worried about that :)
Anthony, JulieM has given you good advice here. Just one more thing to mention--you don't want to call a publisher. They would much rather get a ms with a poorly-targeted salutation than answer a phone call from everyone sending a ms.
 :goodluck
Hi Anthony,
Sometimes getting a sub together can take as long as writing the book, can't it? It's not easy, but you have made a great start. I have the same two names as you for Creston and Innovation, but I always do a google search of the name and publisher (together) to check to my best knowledge if the editor has moved on before submission. When there are a number of names listed (as you've mentioned from in The Book), you could either do as you've suggested, or research each name on a search engine to determine which editor is the best fit for your ms. Eg who concentrates on YA, who likes PBs, who likes social issues, who likes nature, etc.
I hope this helps.
Julie.
PS After all the research you've done, put your results into a database to make it easier next time you submit. Gradually you'll grow quite a useful list, although you'll still need to double check they haven't moved on each time before you submit, and update your list as required. Best of luck.
Hello, all! I have a PB manuscript that I'm getting ready to send as an unsolicited MS to five different publishers. This is my first time doing this, so I'm wondering to whom I should address the submission. I tried calling all five publishers to see if someone could answer that question, but only one publisher, Sleeping Bear Press, actually picked up the phone; they told me that "Dear Editors" is fine.

I checked The Book, and for two of my publishers (Albert Whitman and Chronicle) there are a number of names listed. In these cases, would "Dear Editors" be acceptable?

For the other two, I only found one name each:

Creston Books
PUBLISHER & EDITOR: Marissa Moss

Innovation Press
PUBLISHER: Asia Citro

I did some Googling and can't find any other editor names associated with these two houses. Can anyone confirm that these are the individuals to whom I can address my submissions?

This is all still so new to me, so I appreciate any insights you all may have. Thanks so much!
Picture Books (PB) / Re: Less Traditional Publishing Route
« Last post by Ev on May 26, 2022, 05:24 PM »
Yes, Callisto definitely does children's books under their Rockridge Press imprint. I've done one with them and was just zooming today with one of their editors about another possibility.
Picture Books (PB) / Re: Less Traditional Publishing Route
« Last post by jessie-raspbury on May 26, 2022, 01:06 PM »
So I’m not sure how to reply to each person individually, but thank you all for the comments! My friend had said Callisto doesn’t do children’s books (she writes for them) but clearly they do! And I’ll definitely be checking out the resources posted. Thank you!
Picture Books (PB) / Re: Fiction PB Marketing Proposal?
« Last post by Elizabeth James on May 26, 2022, 07:42 AM »
Thanks so much!!! I like the idea of honing in on the elements that I enjoy, and I think that totally makes sense.

I think where I'm struggling is with the formatting and how detailed does it need to be. That's why an actual proposal would be so helpful. I'll keep searching online and see if I can find one.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10