SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Alphabet Picture Book

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Good afternoon,

I've been working on a simple picture book based on animal pairs representing the letters of the alphabet.

I'm curious what the market is like for alphabet picture books, and if so, what publishers are ideal for this sort of submission.

Interested in receiving any feedback, please take a look in my gallery for an example from my manuscript.
#1 - March 15, 2021, 10:48 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Alphabet picture books are a tough sell unless they have a really unique twist. I subbed a Garden Alphabet book that the rhyme was perfect and I got a lot of compliments on but every editor that I got a response from said while it was lovely and perfectly written, it didn't have enough of a twist on it to make it stand out.

As for publishers who might be interested, if you can, get to a library and look up some recent alphabet books. You can also go to Amazon to see if you can find any recent ones and who publishes them.

The only new alphabet book I can think of is ODD ANIMAL ABCs by June Smalls which came out with Blue Manatee Press in 2019. I'm sure there are more but I'm drawing a blank.

Best of luck!
#2 - March 15, 2021, 12:37 PM
Freaky Funky Fish ( Running Press Kids, May 2021)
Tell Someone (Albert Whitman, October 2021)
Peculiar Primates (Running Press Kids, Fall 2022)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Deb has covered it. This is a tough area to break in with. There are classics, like Chick Chicka Boom Boom, and books with narrow focuses, like P Is for Pterodactyl or A Is for Activist. You have to be super unique to stand out in that category. Good luck.
#3 - March 15, 2021, 06:27 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Veni Sancte Spiritus!
Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Randy, I love alphabet books but I agree with the others that you have to have something unique to offer. If you have animals pairs, maybe choose one animal that eats another? It might upset some kids, so scratch that. How about pairing a plant that an animal eats? Or having a sentence where all the nouns/verbs start with the letter. Four fleas fight for fish :fishbowl  You could have great fun since you also draw your own pictures.

One of my favorites is Tomorrow's Alphabet by George Shannon. It's about how things are transformed. From the flap copy: A is for seed, B is for eggs, C is for milk -- what's going on here? The seed is tomorrows Apple, the eggs are tomorrows Birds, the milk is tomorrows Cheese! Explore a wonderful world of possibility with an imaginative alphabet puzzle that encouraged young readers to look beyond the obvious.
#4 - March 16, 2021, 11:13 AM
Little Thief! Max & Midnight, Bound, Ten Easter Eggs & 100+ bks/mags
https://vijayabodach.blogspot.com https://bodachbooks.blogspot.com

Members: