SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Picture Books (PB) / Re: Agent post on learning or improving your PB writing
« Last post by 217mom on June 29, 2022, 04:38 PM »
Jennifer Laughran's "Ask the Agent" Tumblr is a valuable resource. She used to be a regular contributor to the Blue Boards and was tremendously helpful to many. She's blunt, but to my ears this is a plus.
« Last post by olmue on June 29, 2022, 12:21 PM »
I like how she summed it up as, and here is your MFA, lol. (From what I have observed from others, that really is an accurate summary!)
« Last post by Ev on June 29, 2022, 10:43 AM »
Thank you, Anne, for sharing with us.  She has helpful tips.
« Last post by Pons on June 29, 2022, 08:54 AM »
Thanks for the link, Anne. It contains good, practical advice.
Picture Books (PB) / Agent post on learning or improving your PB writing
« Last post by AnneB on June 29, 2022, 06:14 AM »
FYI: Jenn Laughlan, a senior agent at Andrea Brown, published this Tumblr post yesterday on how to learn/improve PB writing. 
https://literaticat.tumblr.com/post/688217116054355968/how-do-your-clients-improve-their-writing-skills
Picture Books (PB) / Re: Agent Query Format Question
« Last post by Grace Coffey on June 28, 2022, 09:34 AM »
Thank you both for the feedback. That makes total sense!
« Last post by RebeccaL-G on June 28, 2022, 07:54 AM »
Like Debbie said, if I had a connection with the agent through a conference or meeting, I led with that, otherwise I put it at the end. 
« Last post by Debbie Vilardi on June 27, 2022, 06:04 PM »
If I have a really strong why, I start with it. Then I add the book info as it's usually related. The hook follows.

If the why is less strong. (You take YA fantasy.) I may start with the hook, but not always.

Sometimes I'll see a preference in an interview. I always follow that if I find it somewhere.
Picture Books (PB) / Agent Query Format Question
« Last post by Grace Coffey on June 27, 2022, 04:44 PM »
Hi!
I have a question about the format of a query letter.
I understand the "hook, book and cook" guidelines.  I have also seen people say it is important to say why you picked that agent to query.  Where does the "flattery" part come in, if at all?  Should WHY I chose to address this agent in particular come first or my hook?
Thank you! 
I agree to not submit to publishers widely if your goal is to have an agent, but a small number (less than a handful) of publishers who really seem to align with your manuscript or you have an opportunity via a conference or something, doesn't hurt in my opinion.

And Steph, congrats on the nearly 20 deals!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10