SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
Chapter Books, Easy Readers, and Middle Grade (MG) / Re: Chapter length in MG
« Last post by mrh on August 01, 2022, 01:26 PM »
Your overall word count is quite short. If you are under 20-25k (even under 30k, maybe), you might be told this is too short unless it's a verse novel. Are you sure it isn't a chapter book?

1. I don't think 1500 is that long for a chapter, and I've not heard of this being looked down on.
2. This is totally my rule of thumb, but I don't go over 10 manuscript pages per chapter and preferably 7-8.
3. I enjoy many short chapters as a reader because I think it pulls you through the book. There's always time for "just one more chapter," and then "just one more chapter," etc.

If you're finding a ballpark range for number of chapters in similar books, I'd try to hit that range.
Chapter Books, Easy Readers, and Middle Grade (MG) / Chapter length in MG
« Last post by andy-sywak on August 01, 2022, 11:51 AM »
Hi,

I'm finishing up a draft of a sports-themed MG novel.

I have ten total chapters ranging from about 1200-2400 words (most are 1400-1700) and it's made me wonder if these might be too long by current standards. In reading other MG books, there appears to be a trend towards titles with lots of chapters of short length (not sure on word count but just a few pages long - definitely less than a 1,000 words).

I'd like to know where other MG writers fall on this.
- Are long chapters (maybe 1500 words or over) looked down upon by publishers in this genre as a rule of thumb?  Or is it immaterial as long as the story works?
- What would be considered too long for a chapter for this audience?
- Does anyone think that the "many short chapters" approach is inherently better for any specific reason?
Yeah, I'd grab at least twenty recent MG GNs and read to see how other folks are doing it, and what looks best to your eye and seems to fit your story best.
 :goodluck
I don't know if there is a standard. It may vary by publisher. I do think chapters are in order though. Maybe check a library or bookstore, even Amazon, and look at the page counts and word counts for comparable texts. Some educational publishers have quite a few and will want yours to fit an existing series, so it's a good idea to search publishers and see if they have guidelines for GN submissions.
I'm adapting a manuscript that I wanted to be an older children's picture book manuscript into a middle grade graphic novel cause I can't get it under 2000 words. 

The story takes place in the plant cell city of Cellulose and a water molecule named Ama Eden gets super powers to stop the evil Dr. CO2 from freezing all water molecules in the plant.  Thus killing it.  The whole story is to teach kids the temps water changes states of matter with future stories about how plant cells function.

How long do middle grade graphic novels need to be, and do I still need to separate into chapters?

Please note:  I have written comic book scripts before, so no formate issues.
Picture Books (PB) / Re: A Rhyme Primer
« Last post by Debbie Vilardi on July 27, 2022, 06:21 PM »
Thank you, Debbie! These rhyming resources are terrific!

I'm glad people are using them.
Picture Books (PB) / Re: A Rhyme Primer
« Last post by deb-gruelle on July 26, 2022, 07:56 PM »
Thank you, Debbie! These rhyming resources are terrific!
I always use Renaissance Learning's ATOS analyzer. It's free and easy. Just paste your text into the box and push submit.

http://www1.renaissance.com/Products/Accelerated-Reader/ATOS/ATOS-Analyzer-for-Text/lang/english

I was looking for this link yesterday. This is what educational publisher clients suggest I use. There is also a version that will do text of a whole book.
Chapter Books, Easy Readers, and Middle Grade (MG) / Re: Reading Level
« Last post by JodyJS on July 26, 2022, 03:19 PM »
Good luck!
Picture Books (PB) / Table share at 8/20 San Diego Book Festival?
« Last post by dscott-casperson on July 26, 2022, 02:40 PM »
Hi. Would love to be a part of the Sat. 8/20/22 San Diego Book Festival but in an effort to conserve funds am looking for somebody to share the costs/space. Any children's picture book author or illustrator interested in splitting the travel, $300 entrance & 6' table?  Am an LA-based self-published author of five picture books (two are in route from printers). I make a great wingman who's happy to pitch your goods while you step away. Deadline is this week so reach out & let's see if we'd be a good fit. Could be fun, enlightening & most hopefully profitable! Scott Casperson www.mixedmessagespublishing.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10