SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Haunted States of America Contest

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Congratulations, KatyD! And congratulations, too, to Trace and Alison, for making it to the final round. I hope, like Kenneth, you can find the right place for your stories. (And thanks for sharing that, Kenneth!)
#121 - February 26, 2022, 05:13 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Congratulations KatyD!
#122 - February 26, 2022, 07:32 PM
Tracé Wilkins Francis
Inspiring Children One Story At A Time

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Just sharing this article/list of winners from the SCBWI Insight email. Congrats to the winners!

https://www.scbwi.org/haunted-states-of-america-makes-strides-forward/
#123 - March 01, 2022, 06:15 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'm probably the only one who counted up the states and realized that one was missing. Maine is AWOL. There are a lot of writers in my state (which is open), so I am thinking they're hunting for more diverse writers.
#124 - March 01, 2022, 01:35 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm probably the only one who counted up the states and realized that one was missing. Maine is AWOL. There are a lot of writers in my state (which is open), so I am thinking they're hunting for more diverse writers.

If I look at the article above and start counting from 36, I get to 50 plus Washington DC. Maine may have been selected already, but possibly they haven't notified the winner yet. You're right that it isn't in the winner's list. It could also be the person who typed this missed it. You could email and ask about it.
#125 - March 01, 2022, 06:21 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
I have a couple questions about this contest, so I thought I'd ask here! The email today said no more than 500 words, but the submission link says 1300 words. Which one is correct?
Also, I have a spooky MG story that isn't based in specific legend or folklore, but takes place in the Natural History museum in  Washington, DC.  Anyone know if this would be ok to submit, since it's a story from my own imagination?
(*adding that I lived in DC for 5 years, so I definitely have a connection to the area)
#126 - March 01, 2022, 07:16 PM
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 07:37 PM by lauren-redmond »

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
Congratulations to all the winners!! I am excited to read these stories, and best of luck to anyone considering a new story for the remaining states. I'm curious: did everyone rejected get an email from the publisher saying so? It's strange; I didn't get any word but saw that my state was chosen and included in the official announcement. Best of luck to everyone and hope you're able to place your stories elsewhere.
#127 - March 02, 2022, 09:41 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I have a couple questions about this contest, so I thought I'd ask here! The email today said no more than 500 words, but the submission link says 1300 words. Which one is correct?
Also, I have a spooky MG story that isn't based in specific legend or folklore, but takes place in the Natural History museum in  Washington, DC.  Anyone know if this would be ok to submit, since it's a story from my own imagination?
(*adding that I lived in DC for 5 years, so I definitely have a connection to the area)

My email says 1300 words.  For your other question, you'll have to look at the information on the website or ask whomever the contact is. Blueboard staff isn't involved with this.

Amaris, my friend did get a rejection via email. See posts on the prior page of this thread. Maybe check your spam folders.
#128 - March 02, 2022, 06:47 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
They've updated the post with the correct information now.  ::-)

It seems like a fun contest. What a pity I live in Australia and have nothing to contribute!
#129 - March 02, 2022, 07:39 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Amaris-Castillo, I didn't see a rejection email, either. I do check my spam folder regularly, but in the 1 year+ that this went on, it is entirely possible that I missed it. But, yes, like you, I send my congrats to all the winners and best wishes to those looking to place their stories elsewhere.

Lauren, I saw in the Insight letter, they were saying 500 words. That surprised me, because in the original call (and in today's email) it said 1300. If  you are submitting for one of the remaining spots, I think it would be worthwhile to clarify, just to be sure. Good luck! 
#130 - March 02, 2022, 07:40 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
It's 1300 words. I would never bother a busy editor to ask a mundane question like, where's Maine😂. My thought this morning was that maybe they have so many entries for some states they're doing a separate book for those states. Wishful thinking, I know.
#131 - March 03, 2022, 02:12 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
My email says 1300 words.  For your other question, you'll have to look at the information on the website or ask whomever the contact is. Blueboard staff isn't involved with this.

Amaris, my friend did get a rejection via email. See posts on the prior page of this thread. Maybe check your spam folders.

Thanks, Debbie. You’re right, the new email today confirmed 1300 words. There isn’t a listed contact anywhere though, just a link back to the general SCBWI help form which has been less than responsive for me. If anyone knows who I can contact, please let me know!
#132 - March 03, 2022, 03:48 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Watching my email, hoping to hear about my Maine story, oh ayuh.
#133 - March 03, 2022, 06:27 AM

Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Lauren -- I would just submit it. The worst they can do is reject it. The guidelines say they have to be inspired by local events or myths, so if you can revise it to be related to something like that you probably have a better chance.
#134 - March 04, 2022, 04:40 AM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Lauren, I remember somewhere in the latest update it said you can also have strong ties to the state. I definitely would submit your story for Washington, D.C. 

Best of luck.
#135 - March 04, 2022, 05:59 AM
Tracé Wilkins Francis
Inspiring Children One Story At A Time

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Any news on the MAINE selection???
#136 - March 09, 2022, 08:05 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Kathleen, no, I still haven't heard anything about my Maine story. 
#137 - March 09, 2022, 03:31 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Has anyone heard anything about the Maine story?
#138 - March 23, 2022, 05:23 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Hi,

I saw a list of the winners a couple of weeks ago but North Carolina was not on it. Is there now a completed list? I also never received a rejection letter. Congratulations to those who won!
#139 - April 05, 2022, 02:06 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi,

I saw a list of the winners a couple of weeks ago but North Carolina was not on it. Is there now a completed list? I also never received a rejection letter. Congratulations to those who won!

I don't think they've put out the remaining states yet.
#140 - April 05, 2022, 06:58 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region louisianamississippi
Has anyone gotten a response to a submission sent under the March 21 deadline? Thanks!
#141 - April 21, 2022, 07:48 AM

Not yet! It sounds like it took them a really long time to sort through the original submissions. I'm trying not to think about it (hence my checking this thread to see if anyone has heard anything . . .  ;D )
#142 - April 22, 2022, 10:21 AM

I haven't heard back yet either, and am dying to know!
#143 - April 25, 2022, 12:23 PM

Just FYI, I received a (very polite) form rejection for one of my stories earlier this afternoon.  According to it, if you submitted multiple stories you should receive a separate rejection for each. Having received only one e-mail I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my second story . . . We'll see!
#144 - April 28, 2022, 12:53 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Has anyone else gotten rejections? Or acceptance letters for the 3/21 submission? A friend of mine had a rejection yesterday but I’ve heard nothing! Diligently checked my spam too…dying to know!
#145 - April 29, 2022, 08:39 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Fingers crossed for those still waiting.
#146 - April 29, 2022, 06:41 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
Has anyone else gotten rejections? Or acceptance letters for the 3/21 submission? A friend of mine had a rejection yesterday but I’ve heard nothing! Diligently checked my spam too…dying to know!

I got a rejection yesterday also. Sending good vibes for those of you still waiting!
#147 - April 29, 2022, 06:48 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Shoot so sorry Lauren!

Have any of you/anyone you know gotten acceptance notices from the 3/21 submission date? It sounds like the contest has been very drawn out but just wondering how long I should keep my hopes up! 😂
#148 - April 30, 2022, 09:31 AM

Rejection for me too, wah wah
#149 - May 03, 2022, 08:16 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Rejection for me too, wah wah

I’m so sorry Maya! Did the rejection come today?
#150 - May 03, 2022, 09:56 AM

Members: