SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Favourite resources for writing nonfiction?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
What are your favourite resources for learning about writing & researching expository nonfiction for children? I'm particularly looking for tips for researching. I did a lot of research before even thinking about writing so now I think I need to back track and re-research with the intention making a book proposal.

I have enough research completed to write an outline & make a case for publication. The resources used were reliable but not many first-person or necessarily from experts. I have started doing more in-depth research for my sample chapters, looking for better resources for those particular sections. But what about the rest of the proposal? How in-depth do you go into your research before submitting a proposal?
#1 - January 02, 2018, 01:33 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
I'm not sure you need to have all your research done before you submit, but you should have good sources. One thing you can do is fine a good secondary book (like a basic biography or history of nineteenth-century France or whatever you're writing) and check the author's bibliography. It's a way to shave some time off gathering your sources. Obviously you still need to evaluate them for usefulness for your purposes, but it's a help. If you do that for three or four aspects of your topic, you can probably get what you need.

Do make sure they're written by experts, though. If it's a history, get things by historians. There are a lot of people who once had a talk show and write a book about a historical topic, which they have no other qualifications to write, and wow can you tell.
#2 - January 02, 2018, 03:25 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Zotero!!  It's a free reference manager that has a Word (including Word for Mac) plug-in for fast citations and bibliographies!  It has saved me SO much time.  Plus, free.  You can't go wrong.
#3 - January 02, 2018, 05:12 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I like books that have good end notes, bibliography that can lead me to primary sources like letters. I need to have enough of the information in my head so that I can write without having to look up every little factoid.

Giblin's book on writing NF is also very good.
#4 - January 02, 2018, 05:33 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Children's Book Editor
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I always recommend Marge Facklam and Peggy Thomas's Anatomy of Nonfiction, which is the most comprehensive guide I know of to researching and writing nonfiction for children. The link will take you to a review of it I wrote.
#5 - January 03, 2018, 06:18 AM
Harold Underdown

The Purple Crayon, a children's book editor's site: http://www.underdown.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/HUnderdown

Members: