SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Re: Whatcha reading?

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I loved The War that Saved My Life. I hope our library has the sequel.

Me too. Pons, just put in a request for the book. That's what I did and I'm waiting.

I'm still feeling very :xmastree and the book I loved best was Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden.
#1081 - January 12, 2018, 10:08 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I don't like dystopia either, but I LOVE southern Utah. So I may have to read CROSSED. Or MATCHED.
#1082 - January 13, 2018, 06:49 AM
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 06:57 AM by Betsy »
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

I'm on  a non-fiction kick right now, but I'm sprinkling in MG as well.  I just finished THE GREATEST KNIGHT: THE REMARKABLE LIFE OF WILLIAM MARSHALL by Thomas Ashbridge and it is amazing! If there was ever a book that needed a movie or mini-series, this is it. I also finished SERAFINA AND THE SPLINTERED HEART this week, and as always, it was a joy to read. I love Asheville, NC and Biltmore Estate, so it's especially fun for me.  I'm about to start another NF: WAR OF THE ROSES by Dan Jones, I've read him before, and it should be a good follow-up to THE GREATEST KNIGHT.  I'm also about to get a Lauren Magaziner book, not sure which one, but they look wildly entertaining!
#1083 - January 15, 2018, 05:47 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I was blown away by Bonnie Sue Hitchcock's handling of multiple 1st person POVs in The Smell of Other People's Houses.  It's one of those books I started re-reading a day after I finished it just so I could admire how it was handled.  Another, very different book that handled multiple POV so well was Ruta Sepetys's WWII book, Salt to the Sea.
#1084 - January 15, 2018, 08:15 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
I'm still feeling very :xmastree and the book I loved best was Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden.
Oh, I LOVE Rumer Godden! I have a copy of HOLLY AND IVY and re-read it just a few weeks ago. I think for me it is going to be a "read this every Christmas" kind of book.  My kids aren't really old enough for it yet, unfortunately.

Right now I am reading a YA novel, ASYLUM. The writing style didn't win me, but it's genuinely creepy. For me this is one of those books you want to read in print form rather than on an e-reader, because of the images.
#1085 - January 15, 2018, 03:14 PM

I read J.R. Tolkien Letters to Father Christmas.  The book had the actual letters in their envelopes with artwork.  Enjoyed the book and I thought it was fun to read like you could read it to your small child.
#1086 - January 15, 2018, 04:02 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
I'm reading Frances Hardinge's A FACE LIKE GLASS and enjoying it a great deal--which is good, because it's five hundred pages, I started it last night, and my book group is discussing it on Tuesday.
#1087 - Today at 07:02 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Members: