SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Hi---It's Been A While

Discussion started on

Hello, all you saints and scholars!  :love5

I haven't been on in ages, but needed to log in to retrieve some information. How could I not extend good wishes!

In the several months since Mike died, I have become a Reiki practitioner (Master-Teacher level), reducing my own chronic spine/hip pain significantly. And since I'm the "man" of the house now, that's a good thing:  mowing, shoveling, garbage, etc.

I begin hospice training this week; my passion is to be with patients whose deaths are imminent as opposed to inevitable. (Hospice wouldn't let me begin training until at least six months had passed and I was evaluated for emotional stability and maturity--------lol, didn't know I ever had that.  :pp)

I also have been working with a man who a quadriplegic...getting him ready for his day and/or bed, wound care, range of motion exercises, etc. (Another reason to count your blessings when you see the struggles others have to endure.) I feel like a million dollars when I work with him....knowing I'm making some sort of difference in someone's life. And if I hadn't gotten my pain under control, I could not be working with him-----he's a work-out-----I don't need a gym membership taking care of him!

That's the short of it. Big hugs to all! Lots of love! Much light!  :goldstar
#1 - January 13, 2018, 01:14 PM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Arona, it was so good to hear from you again, and your post was just what I needed to read today.

Best of everything to you. You are an inspiration.  :love5 :stars3
#2 - January 13, 2018, 01:30 PM
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:40 PM by Pons »

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
So glad you've checked in, Arona!
#3 - January 13, 2018, 01:46 PM
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
VAMPIRINA AT THE BEACH (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
It's good to hear from you, Arona! Best wishes to you on your hospice training; what a satisfying occupation! Hospice care is such a blessing to those who need it, and to their loved ones.
#4 - January 13, 2018, 04:08 PM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
Book Friends Bookshop
KidLit Agents/Editors at Conferences, Workshops/Retreats/Online Workshops
twitter @VonnaCarter

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Arona, when I saw your name I got chills. I am so, so sorry about Mike. I hope he had  a beautiful and holy death. And here you are, being light and love to others. God bless you. Thank you for coming here too. :flowers2 Vijaya
#5 - January 13, 2018, 05:10 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
Bless you, Arona. I have wondered where life as a widow has taken you. Seems you have taken it by the horns and are a shining light for Mike's memory.
#6 - January 13, 2018, 05:55 PM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing Aug 2012
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520 July 2011

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Coming Soon: Beep! Beep! Special Delivery
Poster Plus
Hi Arona,
It was nice to read your update and hear about your good work.  :love5

Della
#7 - January 13, 2018, 06:08 PM
How Will I Ever Sleep in This Bed? / Hey! You're Eating My Homework / Beep! Beep! Special Delivery / Precious Baby  / Huggle Wuggle, Bedtime Snuggle

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Hi Arona, I too am sorry about Mike's death, but I'm also admiring your bravery and strength.  Thank you for shining a little of that light back here and for the good work you are doing for others. Godspeed.
#8 - January 13, 2018, 06:31 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Arona, it's so good to hear from you! I'm glad that life is providing some new opportunities. :hearts
#9 - January 13, 2018, 07:47 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Wishing you well, Arona.

The work you are doing is making a huge difference in people's lives. You are an inspiration.

Jody
#10 - January 13, 2018, 09:29 PM
MOSTLY THE HONEST TRUTH (HarperCollins 2019)
Twitter: @jodyjlittle

Thanks for popping in, Arona. It's good to hear from you.

Ree
#11 - January 13, 2018, 11:26 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
So good to hear from you, Arona. Bless you for taking on such an important role. My dad was in hospice before he passed, and the love and respect he received there was so heartwarming. It takes a special kind of person to be there at someone's side to take care of them in their last days, and you are exactly that kind of person. :hearts
#12 - January 13, 2018, 11:57 PM
'Vehicle Dreams Series' Running Press Kids
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale 2015

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Thank you so much for taking the time to check in and share how you're doing. How wonderful that you're following your passion and doing such good and worthwhile work. You are, indeed, an inspiration.
#13 - January 14, 2018, 06:37 AM
2017:
Sibling Split series (Stone Arch)
Gender Wage Gap (Abdo)
Smooth Road Trip (Capstone)
www.mghiggins.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Damn, if you've reached Master Level that means it's been WAY too long since I've touched base with you, my dear.  :hiding

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!  :stars3 :love5 :stars3 You might feel like a million but you're worth much, much more than that.  :kiss :grouphug2   :flowers2

#14 - January 14, 2018, 08:08 AM
Top 50 finalist, The Launch Pad Manuscript Competition, https://www.tblaunchpad.com/contests/6

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
It's wonderful to hear from you, Arona! You are an inspiration. Hospice is such an amazing organization--thank you for being a light in the world.

Here's wishing you continued peace and strength as you move forward.
 :hearts

#15 - January 14, 2018, 11:32 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Arona, so glad to hear you're doing well. :flowers2
#16 - January 14, 2018, 02:10 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I'm so glad you stopped by and updated us, Arona. What an inspiration you are, and a bright light in the world! Hugs and prayers as you continue on this path!
#17 - January 14, 2018, 04:59 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Welcome back, Arona! I'm so glad you dropped in. Yay that you found a way to lower your pain and have been able to be a lot more active because of it.

I love how you're looking for ways to help others.  :love5 :love5
#18 - January 14, 2018, 10:49 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
So glad you checked back in with us, Arona. Really good to hear from you. I'm thankful to hear that you're finding good ways to make a positive difference in the lives of others.  :hearts  Blessings on you.
#19 - January 15, 2018, 07:20 AM

Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I think about you often, Arona, and it's really nice to hear how you're doing.  You are making a real difference in people's lives and I hope you continue to feel better.  :flowers2
#20 - January 15, 2018, 08:24 AM
http://twitter.com/EnaJones
http://www.EnaJones.com

CLAYTON STONE, AT YOUR SERVICE
Holiday House, 2015
CLAYTON STONE, FACING OFF
Holiday House, 2016

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
 :star2   :star2  You are the queen of inspiration, Arona! You deserve nothing but happiness from now on!  :love5   :flowers2    :star2

Oh, speaking of reiki, here's a secret technique I have used successfully: chocolate reiki! I invented it. Hold a piece of chocolate over the body part that hurts and think healing thoughts. Then eat the chocolate. I'm serious and it works, but you have to really believe it will work.  :chocolate2
#21 - January 15, 2018, 11:39 AM
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 11:45 AM by Barbara Etlin »
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
It's so good to hear how you're handling your 'new' life, Arona -- thank you so much for checking in and letting us know. :hearts
#22 - January 15, 2018, 02:50 PM
Robin
Teen Books A Guide for Families (Vol. 1&2): https://www.amazon.com/s?field-keywords=robin+prehn
My Blog: http://robinellen.livejournal.com

I thank the heavens for people like you, Arona! You make the unbearable bearable. Lots of light to you, too.  :goldstar
#23 - January 16, 2018, 06:28 AM
THE DARING PRINCE DASHING, Sky Pony Press - available now!

Such nice, nice, warm people. The world needs more like you.

I don't know about being an inspiration (part of my "deeds," I think, is me atoning, lol), but for certain Mike continues to be the inspiration.

Barbara--some folks Reiki everything, and I'd imagine chocolate only gets better when infused! (I respectfully disagree about having to believe: the first session I received, I didn't know what it was, was skeptical, etc. I was truly in awe of the physical change in a condition the Master didn't even know I had. I LOVE THIS UNIVERSE AND HOW IT WORKS!)

I've been reading without logging in, and glad to see things moving right along for folks...and of course, that everyone continues to be so supportive and respectful of each other. YOU guys are a light...like a constant star...for so many.  :goldstar

Hope everyone has a  :running kind of day.  :love5
#24 - January 18, 2018, 05:58 AM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Members: