SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Is there a market for inspirational PBs like "I Wish You More" anymore?

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Hello all,

I'm a new member of SCBWI. I'm also just starting out on my writing and querying journey. So, I am hoping to get some feedback. I recently wrote a lyrical picture book that conveys a parent/caregiver’s aspirations for a special child’s life and future. I'd categorize it as an inspirational book similar to "I Wish You More," or "The Wonderful Things You'll Be." 

I've shared the book with other parents, as well as several early childhood educators, and even a high-quality children's book seller. They all believe there is a market for it. However, as I'm working on putting together a query list, of agents and publishers, I'm starting to feel a bit discouraged. These types of books don't seem to be showing up on their wishlists.  Are they still in demand? Would anyone like to share some insight? Thanks so much in advance. I appreciate your help.

Sally
#1 - April 05, 2022, 05:48 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
:welcome Sally. I Wish You More is one of my favorites. Gosh, I love anything AKR wrote. RIP.

The "I love you" type books are always going to be staples of children's books, no matter if agents/editors say they don't want "quiet" books. So any new way to express it will be welcome. Send out your work anyway to agents and publishers who seem open to the idea. Good luck!
#2 - April 05, 2022, 07:20 AM
Little Thief! Max & Midnight, Bound, Ten Easter Eggs & 100+ bks/mags
https://vijayabodach.blogspot.com https://bodachbooks.blogspot.com

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
:welcome Sally. I Wish You More is one of my favorites. Gosh, I love anything AKR wrote. RIP.

The "I love you" type books are always going to be staples of children's books, no matter if agents/editors say they don't want "quiet" books. So any new way to express it will be welcome. Send out your work anyway to agents and publishers who seem open to the idea. Good luck!

Oh thank you so much for your comment. I feel the same way about these books. They have such a classic style. (Not to mention they are great to give as gifts for showers, birthdays, graduations, etc.) I've talked to several parents who say they love to read and share these types of books with their children too.

So I'm definitely going to send it out. It'll just take a little more digging on my part to find agents who are open to it.  (Fingers crossed!)
#3 - April 05, 2022, 07:39 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
It'll just take a little more digging on my part to find agents who are open to it.  (Fingers crossed!)
You can still query agents who take PBs in general, even if their wish list doesn't specifically state they're looking for this type of book. MSWL, and an agent's own wish list that they might tweet or put on their personal site, are great tools, but they don't mean this is all the agent will look at (unless that is specifically stated; look, too, at what they state they do not want). Sometimes, when some of their wishes are very specific, they get inundated with just that type of book and little else, and it sounds like they're starting to realize that.  Querying writers often wonder why they get rejected when they met the wish list exactly, but the problem is so did 50 others.
#4 - April 05, 2022, 10:42 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
I think there's almost always a market for a pb that is well written and or has a good or unique take that hasn't been done before. You just have to find the right agent/publisher for it. 😊
#5 - April 05, 2022, 01:19 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Sometimes, when some of their wishes are very specific, they get inundated with just that type of book and little else, and it sounds like they're starting to realize that.  Querying writers often wonder why they get rejected when they met the wish list exactly, but the problem is so did 50 others.

:lol4 good point

#6 - April 05, 2022, 04:38 PM
Little Thief! Max & Midnight, Bound, Ten Easter Eggs & 100+ bks/mags
https://vijayabodach.blogspot.com https://bodachbooks.blogspot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
New!
Sometimes these books are published for the gift market and not for kids. Think about if the parent or child is the real audience. It can, of course, be both. Also, look at books like this in book stores and see if you can find out who agents the author, if they have one. If not, you might be able to go direct to the publishers.
#7 - April 05, 2022, 06:53 PM
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 06:23 PM by Debbie Vilardi »
Twitter: @dvilardi1

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
You've all made some really great points. I appreciate your time in responding to me. I feel better moving forward with my query journey now! Thank you.
#8 - April 06, 2022, 06:43 AM

Members: