SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Closing for Submissions questions

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
Hello,
I read that Highlights is closing to submissions May 31st and will reopen at the end of August, I believe.

I have submissions with them now. Is it expected that they would hold submissions over their break, or do they sometimes clear their inboxes before a hiatus? Thank you! Just wondering what I should expect, and if I should try to get some more in before their hiatus.
#1 - May 14, 2019, 10:35 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I could be wrong, but I think they closed last summer as well. It's my impression that they are closing to submissions so they can spend the summer reading their pile of subs and clear them out. So my guess is that you will hear one way or another on your query over the summer.

But hopefully someone with experience subbing with Highlights will chime in!
#2 - May 14, 2019, 04:09 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
The usual reason for closing to submissions is to clear out the backlog. I can't be sure that's the reason here, but it is most common.
#3 - May 14, 2019, 06:36 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
They closed for a reading period last summer, so my guess is this is likely the same.
#4 - May 14, 2019, 08:14 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
Ok gotcha, thank you!
#5 - May 15, 2019, 06:58 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
I had a short story acceptance during the last summer closing, so yes, I believe they will be responding and catching up during that time. Good luck!
#6 - May 15, 2019, 07:16 AM
Anita N. Amin
THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019)

If  your submission is already in their hands, like the others have said, they will read it. Good luck with it!!
#7 - May 17, 2019, 05:31 AM
MA in creative writing. Author of upper middle-grade novel and chocoholic and SCBWI member

Members: