SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Family Fun magazine

Discussion started on

MaudeStephany

I have been subbing crafts to this magazine the past couple months and, upon reading their masthead at the front of their magazine once again, got a bit of a surprise...

"All materials must be accompanied by a stamped, self-addressed envelope and become the property of FamilyFun. All rights to submitted materials also become property of FamilyFun. Materials may be edited for length or clarity and may be used without compensation and acknowledgement."

In plain english, that means that if you submit to them and they do any editing whatsoever, they may decide that they do not have to pay you. That's rather unsettling, considering how many of us are trying to earn a living doing this...

If there is anyone here who has experience selling to Family Fun, I would love to hear from them.

Thanks,
Maude  :jump
#1 - May 16, 2007, 06:42 AM

shelly

Maude, I didn't actually go to their site and read their guidelines, but the wording you shared above seems to indicate that they can use whatever materials are submitted without paying the author *whether they edit them or not.*
#2 - May 16, 2007, 12:00 PM

shelly

Okay, I just had a quick look at their guidelines and didn't see this anywhere. Can you post a link, please?
#3 - May 16, 2007, 12:04 PM

I've sold to FF and have nothing bad to say about them. The ed called for verification of a few things, my piece was edited (but only a bit), published when they said it would be, and the pay was prompt and what I expected.
#4 - May 16, 2007, 01:47 PM
CITY STREET BEAT (2014)
LOOK WHAT I CAN DO! (2013)
STORM SONG (2013)
SAMANTHA HANSEN HAS ROCKS IN HER HEAD (2008)

I've written for Wonder Time, a new mag that's a pre-school spin-off of Family Fun, also published by the Disney Corp.  I had no trouble with my submission or payment, either.  As a matter of fact, I was paid $100 for a 4-sentence parenting tip, and the pay came quickly.  (Although, they still haven't published it!)

I don't recall ever seeing those sentences in the guidelines.  Can you tell us where you read this?

buglady
#5 - May 16, 2007, 03:04 PM

I've sold them two essays. No problem here either. They've always been great to work with, imo.

Katy
#6 - May 16, 2007, 04:10 PM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

keys-a-tappin

FamilyFun has a good rep among freelancers.  Masthead legalese like that usually applies to subscriber submissions - letters to the editor, etc. so the magazine can publish without further permission required.   Besides, copyright ownership can only be transferred in writing, so they'd need a contract to make that binding.

Dan
#7 - May 16, 2007, 05:57 PM

MaudeStephany

Thanks for explaining that keys... It just didn't make sense after what I had read in the guidelines to see those other lines in the masthead. I got all confused.  ???  And i suppose a bit of sleep would help ease that trouble.
Before I do this...  :faint:
Maude  :jump
#8 - May 17, 2007, 09:34 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Sent query on 4/2/07

Form rejection on 6/13/07

Jody
#9 - June 28, 2007, 04:54 PM
MOSTLY THE HONEST TRUTH (HarperCollins 3/12/2019)
Twitter: @jodyjlittle
Facebook: @jodyjlittleauthor

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I write for FamilyFun and Wondertime. Both are wonderful pubs to work with. Their contract is very straightforward and as I recall contains no such language.
Jean
#10 - June 29, 2007, 09:59 AM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Pup 681, Truman, When the Snow is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Specs and Specs II.
Others at www.jeanreidy.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Hello,

This question is about Family Fun magazine.  A month or two ago, I sent in a ms for the Family Traditions page.  Yesterday I got a call from an editor, wanting to buy...the idea only.  Not the writing, as I guess they have a contributing writer that usually does these things.  When he asked if I was willing to sell the idea, I said I'd consider it, although I'd prefer to do the writing, too.

What do you all think?  Is this a step forward?  It wouldn't really be a publishing credit, would it?  Should I just thank my lucky stars that they want it at all, or should I hold onto my great idea and try to sell it elsewhere?

Thanks for any advice!
#11 - November 17, 2007, 05:20 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
leah,

Their guidelines say they'll do that sometimes.  Unless you think you've got a chance to sell the idea AND the writing to another publication, I'd go with selling the idea and still use that as a credit in your cover letters..."sold idea to FF for "xxx" department."  My .02.

They might be more willing another time to look at what you've got!  Congrats!

Jody
#12 - November 17, 2007, 05:27 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
  • SCBWI PAL
Sell the idea and establish a relationship. I sold several story ideas to Woman's World before having my own work published there.
#13 - November 18, 2007, 07:24 AM
A WHOLE LOT OF LUCKY, Sept. 2012
Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning
The Summer of Moonlight Secrets
Me & Jack

http://www.danettehaworth.com

Lisa

Sell it! Family Fun is a hard nut to crack!
#14 - November 18, 2007, 04:45 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
I agree. Sell it and build your relationship with Family Fun.
#15 - November 18, 2007, 06:46 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Thanks to all who responded--very helpful advice!

:)  Sara
#16 - November 19, 2007, 02:45 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Members: