SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

How do I turn the smileys off??

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
The smileys slow my machine down to a crawl.
#1 - December 17, 2007, 09:05 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Use the quick reply box at the bottom of the screen, gla.  Then the smilies won't show up while you are writing your message. If you know what the code is for the smiley (they all start with a colon : followed by a descriptive word) you can type the code into your message and still use them without having them show up on your screen.   To find the codes of the ones you like, go to the regular reply screen one time and click on your favorites to put them into a message. Write the codes down for each one, and next time you can use them without having to bring up the smiley reply screen.  (And just for the record, after a while I'll put most of them into the popup screen, so there won't be so many on the regular screen.)
#2 - December 17, 2007, 09:25 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Member.
Poster Plus
Thanks for the info.
#3 - December 17, 2007, 09:51 AM

RyanBruner

Forgive me, but I don't see any "Quick Reply" option anywhere.  (I've seen it on other boards, but not here.)  The only way I can reply is to use the  main reply screen.  But I find the hundreds of smilies terribly annoying.  I tried to turn them off, but I still get a giant list of words with a few smilies. 

Is there a way to get rid of the smilies altogether on the Reply screen? 
#4 - March 20, 2008, 11:21 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Quick reply should be at the bottom of your screen on the left side.  I'm using it now.
#5 - March 20, 2008, 11:23 AM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

RyanBruner

Okay, I found it.  It isn't enabled by default.  I had to go into my user profile and change my settings to enable it. 
#6 - March 20, 2008, 11:24 AM

Gabby

Oh, good ... because I was about to say ... I don't have it either.  Thanks Ryan, I'll go enable mine, also.
#7 - March 20, 2008, 11:25 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Good to know!  I'm glad you solved the mystery. :)
#8 - March 20, 2008, 11:28 AM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Gabby

I also found where you can turn the smilies off all together. It's in the same place as where you enable the quick reply.
#9 - March 20, 2008, 11:29 AM

RyanBruner

Very good.  Much better.  Thanks, Birdy.
#10 - March 20, 2008, 11:32 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Just a word of caution here... some people have found when they turned off their smilies, they lose the ability to delete or modify their own posts. If you find your modify and/or delete button is missing and you want to do either of those things to any of your posted messages, try turning your smilies back on and see if that fixes the problem.  You can then turn them back off again after you have modified and/or deleted your problem posts.
#11 - March 20, 2008, 11:36 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Wow, thanks. I didn't know about this either and I'm very smiley averse. They're gone. Huzzah!
#12 - March 20, 2008, 09:07 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
NOTE:  If you have turned off the smilies lists, you can still put them into your messages if you know the code for the smilie.  Some are strange... like <colon followed by the letters dr> type:dr is this laughing one :dr, but most of them I've tried to keep simple.  (If you don't have a space in front of the code, it will post the code instead of the smiley.)

Here are a couple of my favorites... type:grrr :grrr ...type:love :love ...type:typing :typing ...type:invisible :invisible ...type:woo :woo ...type:whitebunny :whitebunny

If you don't know the code, try guessing at it by the image. If you are wrong, either something else will show up in your preview or you will see just the colon and code word instead of a smiley.
#13 - March 23, 2008, 10:24 PM
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 10:26 PM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

I have found the fastest way is to go to PROFILE (top of this page) and click on LOOK AND LAYOUT PREFERENCES (on the left side of your screen in the profile page). The second setting down in the LALP scrren allows you to choose NO SMILEYS. My computer instantly sped up when using this site. I'll miss the smileys but I'll trade them for speed anytime.
#14 - March 28, 2008, 10:10 PM
www.jillcorcoran.blogspot.com & www.hermanagencyinc.com
DARE TO DREAM...CHANGE THE WORLD, Kane Miller, Fall 2012

Members: