SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Cricket and photos for NF

Discussion started on

kate_b

Hi everyone!

My mom (a biologist) and I have just written a nonfiction article that we plan to submit to Cricket.

Both my mom and the expert we interviewed are amateur photographers who have some great pictures that could illustrate the article.  We didn't even have to ask the expert about it -- he volunteered the information that he had some great photos.  I have two questions about this:

1. This is my first time submitting photos.  I was planning on submitting the article in standard manuscript format (including the bibliography that Cricket guidelines require), with the photos inserted as images onto the last page (or last couple pages, more likely), together with an explanation of what each picture shows and who holds the rights for the picture.  Does that sound okay?  I've heard that some people send in prints.  Would a color printout work too?

2.  Would Cricket pay the expert for his photos?  I read in another mag's guidelines that they basically expect photos from experts to come for free.  I think our expert would be willing to do that, but I also think it would be cool if he got paid.  Does anyone know Cricket's policy on that?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Best,

Kate.
#1 - February 26, 2008, 12:12 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Kate, you can submit a copy of the photos along with the article.  Make sure you write your name and address on the back of it, so that they can return it if they don't want the pictures or after publication.

I've gotten paid for photos.  In fact, the pay is much nicer for pictures than my words :)  However, don't be disappointed if the editor decides to use a different photo from a public source (free) or if they use your photos to make an illstration (and in that case the illustrator gets paid, not the photographer).

Good luck.
Vijaya
#2 - February 26, 2008, 08:18 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

kate_b

Thanks for your reply, Vijaya!  That is good information to know.

I don't think we (my mom and I) would mind if they pass up our photos.  I was just thinking that if they do want to use our expert's photos, that would be a nice thing to look forward to.  Our expert was really helpful and pleasant to work with, and I would feel good if he got a photo payment out of it.  His photos are of wildfires in specific locations, so they would probably be hard to get elsewhere. 

For myself, I see the photos more as a way to help the article get into print, not a money source.  But what you said about making an illustration from a submitted photo bothers me on a kind of theoretical level.  If I understand things correctly, making a drawing or painting from a photo is considered making a "derivative work," the same as making a translation of someone's words.  Both are protected by copyright, so they should not be doing that without your permission.  I guess it would be okay to look at the photo as a way of thinking about the proportions or textures of the real object, and then use that abstract knowledge to make an original drawing, but the photo should be sent back first.
#3 - February 27, 2008, 08:17 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region michigan
Another route to consider is to submit only the article (since you are trying to sell your words, not someone else's illustrations.) In the cover letter note the availability of photos from your expert.  If the expert has read the article for accuracy, make sure to also mention that.  If the editor decides to accept your article, let him/her then negotiate directly with the expert for photo rights if there's an interest.  I've done this in the past, and been happy to give an editor a source without being in the middle of someone else's negotiations.
Buffy
#4 - February 27, 2008, 10:00 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Buffy's suggestion is great.  Let them know your expert has pictures and they can negotiate directly with your expert.
Vijaya

You're right Kate, that they do ask if they can make an illustration based on the photo, if they choose to go that route.
#5 - February 27, 2008, 02:13 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

kate_b

Thanks for the responses, Buffy and Vijaya!  I appreciate your help.

-Kate
#6 - February 27, 2008, 04:47 PM

Members: