SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Highlights High Five

Discussion started on

stephwc

Does anyone know where I can find submission guidelines for High Five, Highlights new mag for the 2-5 year old set?  I've tried searching threads on the Blue Boards and I've also used Google, but I can't seem to find them.  I feel like I've heard that writers should just sub to Highlights and if they deem it appropriate they would put it in High Five.  Is this right?  Would I just mention in my cover letter that I think the ms would be appropriate for High Five readers? Or just say "Highlights younger readers" and let them connect the dots?  :eh2

Thanks!
Steph

#1 - March 06, 2008, 01:43 PM

SimplyFi

That's what happened to me...  I subbed some poems to Highlights and received a revision request to simplify one of them for High Five.

"Would I just mention in my cover letter that I think the ms would be appropriate for High Five readers? Or just say "Highlights younger readers" and let them connect the dots?"

I'd probably do the latter and then that would leave it open for either magazine.
#2 - March 06, 2008, 02:14 PM

Harrietthespy

Yep.  I concur.  As of now, you don't submit directly.  But they're all in the same office anyway, so there's not problem with something not being read and passed to the appropriate editor!  Good luck.......C
#3 - March 06, 2008, 06:02 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Sub as you would for Highlights.  I've addressed subs that I felt could be use by either to Highlights/Highlights High Five.  I was notified recently that a piece I sold Highlights a few years ago will appear in High Five this summer. 

Good Luck.  Highlights is a lovely magazine to work with. 
#4 - March 06, 2008, 07:03 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

stephwc

Thanks, everyone!

Steph
#5 - March 07, 2008, 05:16 AM

DeirdreK

Based on what I read in the SCBWI newsletter, I've been subbing directly to High 5 (they asked specifically for stories of 150 words or less.)

I sold one a few weeks ago, so obviously the "direct to high five" route can work too, if you have a short-short story....

(note: they're looking for tension, conflict and resolution in 150 words or less....  tough, but a rewarding exercise!  The one they bought was about losing the class pet....)
#6 - April 08, 2008, 10:12 AM

stephwc

Thanks, Deirdre.  My story is currently 249 words.  Guess I've got some cutting to do! (this is where we need the animated scissors smiley)

Steph
#7 - April 08, 2008, 02:31 PM

Members: