SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Highlights Kids' Submissions

Discussion started on

Hi All! I'm not really sure where to post this, buy anyway...

Does anyone have kids who've submitted something to Highlights' "Your Own Pages"?
Do they send any notification if they plan to print their work?
My son just sent something, so naturally he's kind of antsy.
#1 - April 07, 2008, 01:53 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Hi, jlinsky!

My daughter recently subbed a poem.  Two/three weeks later, she received a letter saying they liked her poem and would consider it along with all the others they get, and that she may have to wait a year to find out...

Good luck to your son.

Jody

#2 - April 07, 2008, 03:13 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Page7

My daughter is a published Highlights poet!  (November 2006, top of page 33 -- poem about puddles, if I may brag).

May 2005 - letter received shortly after my mother submitted it, thanking her for her submission, and saying that she will be notified later if it is under consideration. 

April 2006 - another letter saying it was, in fact, under consideration, and asking for further information about her. 

August 2006 - letter telling us it was scheduled for publication in November 2006.  She was five when my mother sent in the poem, and she was a month shy of seven when it was published.  So it takes a long time but they are good about keeping you notified.   
#3 - April 07, 2008, 04:46 PM

Congrats to Page7's daughter for being published at the tender age of six!

And Jody, I'll keep my fingers crossed for your daughter, too.

Thanks to you both for the information. Having some sort of time frame might make the wait
a little easier.
#4 - April 07, 2008, 07:21 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
My kids have sent in drawings and they always get a lovely response, and they let them know that many children send in submissions, that not everybody's artwork is published, but they thank the kids and tell them to continue to write and draw ...

At Chautauqua, the Highlights folks said that they respond to each and every letter.  Class act, through and through.

Congrats to Page7's daughter!

And jlinsky, love your username and pic.  We are great fans of Jenny Linsky and the Cat Club.

Vijaya

#5 - April 07, 2008, 08:20 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Thanks, Vijaya! (I love how she dons that red scarf and feels soooo brave...)
#6 - April 08, 2008, 09:22 AM

Members: