SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Cricket Invoice Question--help please

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
One of my poems accepted a while back is soon forthcoming in Ladybug (YAY!)...I received an invoice with the letter, asking for my address, SS#, etc. But there is a boxed section for "Description" and "Amount", with a "Total Due" at the bottom. Am I supposed to fill in the name of my poem and the amount they are paying me for this? (I don't remember the amount...it's been a while since the acceptance letter/contract...) Should I just fill in the name of the poem but leave the amount section blank?

Also, we will be moving soon (before this issue comes out). What is the best way to get my updated contact info into the right hands there? I have to make sure those contributor copies make it to me!!!

Oh, I miss this board! Look at all the adorable new smileys!  :eeyore  :mail  :mob  :hijacked  :lmao ....too cute! Hopefully soon I'll be able to post (& write!) more again.

#1 - April 12, 2008, 07:41 AM
DREAM JOBS IN SPORTS PSYCHOLOGY (Rosen 2018)
THE GROSS SCIENCE OF BAD BREATH AND CAVITIES (Rosen 2019)

http://www.authorjessicashaw.com

MaudeStephany

Okay... first things first.. you need to dig up that acceptance letter and find out what they offered you for the poem at the time of the acceptance.

The Description column is for you to write the title of the poem, and the Amount and Total Due need to be filled in appropriately.

It has been my experience, with a number of different publishers, that you need to send an invoice when the article/etc is accepted or risk not being paid on time. I recently made that faux pas with a publisher, contacted them a month later and was told to, in the future, send them my invoice with my article.

I would mention, in my response, that effective a certain date, you will have moved to (and give the address of where you are going). However, it is not a publishing house's job to keep track of where everyone is moving etc. I would ALWAYS (for the period of a year anyhow) pay to have my mail forwarded to me whereever I move. But then, I did a cross-country move a few years back and while it was a nuisance getting some of the mail for our old address, I knew that I was getting EVERYTHING that I would have missed otherwise.

Hope that answers your questions... and good luck!

Maude  :broccoli
#2 - April 12, 2008, 08:21 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
MaudeStephany,

Are you saying that when they send you a letter accepting your contribution, you are to send them back an invoice?  Or did I misunderstand?

Jody
#3 - April 12, 2008, 10:04 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
Interesting- I have never had an invoice sent to me from Ladybug or Babybug. Perhaps they are starting something new since they've been rather slooow getting their payments out.
#4 - April 12, 2008, 10:34 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Jayca, this is new to me, too.  But the Cobblestone group routinely sends out an invoice like the one you describe with the galleys.
So, fill it out with the name of the poem in the descriptor and dig out your acceptance.  They should've told you how much they would pay.  I think for poems it si $25.  If you're not sure or don't have the paperwork, CALL and ask to speak to the vendor dept.  Or the adminstrative asst.  If it's Marybeth, she's very, very good. She'll take good care of you.

Also let them know you're moving.  Your PO will forward mail for a year, but it's best to let people know of your new address (if you have one).
Vijaya
#5 - April 12, 2008, 01:13 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

MaudeStephany

MaudeStephany,

Are you saying that when they send you a letter accepting your contribution, you are to send them back an invoice?  Or did I misunderstand?

Jody

That's right, Jody. My experience has been that, unless told otherwise (or the contract says differently) send the invoice with your acceptance of their contract terms. (the magazine can make say "we love your poem, we'll give you $5 for it and you still have the right of refusal.)  Make sure you know exactly which rights you're giving them too (so you know if you can ever reprint the poem). Does it show that I studied a bit of contract law in University?

Maude.   :broccoli
#6 - April 12, 2008, 01:30 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Maude,
So for the three poems of mine Babybug has accepted (but not yet scheduled), I should send them an invoice, huh?  I hadn't heard of this before.  I just assumed when they sent me a contract and I completed it and sent it back, that document served as the invoice or sorts.  Who wooda' knew?

:thankyou

Jody
#7 - April 12, 2008, 01:59 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Thanks for the great input, everyone. To clarify: I received my letter of acceptance & contract  many months ago (for 2 poems)...maybe last summer (?)...signed the contract and sent it back in. And now, just a few days ago, I received a letter informing me that one of the poems they accepted will be in their Sept. issue. Along with this letter, there was an invoice (as described in my original post). The problem is, we have boxed up a lot of our stuff and moved it into storage (to show our house). There is a good chance that my contract, specifying the amount they will pay, is in storage. (Not smart of me, I realize...I was in a hurry to get boxes packed and didn't think I would need to reference the letter anytime soon).
Soooo...if I can't find it, I will do as Vijaya suggested and give them a call to clarify the amount.
But Jody, assuming this is their new protocol, you don't have to send them an invoice...just fill it out and send back if they send you one.

As for the move, we don't have a new address yet. But when we get one, maybe just a postcard with my updated information would be appropriate to send them.

Thanks again, blueboarders!
#8 - April 12, 2008, 04:02 PM
DREAM JOBS IN SPORTS PSYCHOLOGY (Rosen 2018)
THE GROSS SCIENCE OF BAD BREATH AND CAVITIES (Rosen 2019)

http://www.authorjessicashaw.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Thanks, Jayca.   :goodluck with the move!

Jody
#9 - April 12, 2008, 04:10 PM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Interesting!  The Cricket Magazine Group seems to have a variety of ways of doing this.  Both times I've sold stories to Ladybug they've sent me an acceptance letter first which required my response saying I was okay with their terms.  Then they've sent edited copies of my story for me to approve.   Then I've gotten my contract at the same time they've sent the invoice. 

One of those was just a couple of weeks ago.  The other was about a year ago.

Jayca, congratulations on your upcoming publication and best wishes on your move.

Ev
#10 - April 13, 2008, 08:39 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Jayca, did you get an Author's Agreement with the invoice?  If--and this might be a pretty big if!--Ladybug works the way that Dig and Calliope do, the AA will have the amount you fill in for the amount and total due; for description, you should put something like "Poem--TITLE" (your title where "TITLE" is, obviously!).  You also have to sign the Author's Agreement and fill in its various blanks.

Congratulations on the sale!
#11 - April 14, 2008, 10:35 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
I've had a few poems published in Carus mags and haven't had a invoice from them until today. I'll dig up my contract but I think it was $3 per line? Don't know if that helps, Jayca.

#12 - May 01, 2008, 03:06 PM

Members: