SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Highlights, Cricket- citing sources

Discussion started on

Lynda B.

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can point me in the direction of good online articles etc. on citing sources for a magazine submission. The story is fiction, but I want to include a non-fiction side bar on one of the  story elements. Would it look just like the bibliography of academic research papers? I still have my MLA etc.

I'm editing to say that I will also post this further up the board where I see there is a section for magazine related work.

Thanks!

Lynda
#1 - April 14, 2008, 10:36 AM
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 10:39 AM by Lynda B. »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region germanyaustria
The Safest Lie in stores now
The End of the Line - VOYA Top Shelf & YALSA Quick Pick
www.angelacerrito.com
FB/twtr/Tmblr AngelaCerrito

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I merged both of your messages together in one thread, Lynda B, so you will be able to look in one place and find any answers to your questions.  Because there are so very many people posting on this board, we ask that everyone limit their questions to ONE place.  If you find you have posted it somewhere that isn't the best board (yes, there are a LOT of boards to consider and this is very easy to have happen!) then you can always post a plea in your topic for one of the moderators to please move your topic to the more appropriate board.  They are happy to help. 

Hmmm.  They'd BETTER be happy to help. <glares at moderators :skull>  You ARE happy to help, right?  :guns  :lol
#3 - April 14, 2008, 11:32 AM
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 11:37 AM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Lynda B.

Thanks for the link Angela! Nice! I've added it to my bookmarks.

Verla, thanks for the clarification!!  :broccoli

Lynda
#4 - April 14, 2008, 11:51 AM
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 11:54 AM by Lynda B. »

I merged both of your messages together in one thread, Lynda B, so you will be able to look in one place and find any answers to your questions.  Because there are so very many people posting on this board, we ask that everyone limit their questions to ONE place.  If you find you have posted it somewhere that isn't the best board (yes, there are a LOT of boards to consider and this is very easy to have happen!) then you can always post a plea in your topic for one of the moderators to please move your topic to the more appropriate board.  They are happy to help. 

Hmmm.  They'd BETTER be happy to help. <glares at moderators :skull>  You ARE happy to help, right?  :guns  :lol

Yikes!

Of course we're happy to help!

I actually deleted the redundant message that it turns out Verla had merged over here before I saw Verla's comment! :oops Just trying to help.... :moose
#5 - April 15, 2008, 09:02 AM

Another thing I would suggest (since you specifically mention HIGHLIGHTS and CRICKET) is that you make a copy of the specific pages you got your information from because eventually you're going to be asked to send it. In fact, in an ICL chat, a HIGHLIGHTS editor said she likes to see really thick packets with NF submissions -- with those copies right in the packet. A CRICKET editor said she thought that would be great and a time saver but it's not really required at the time of submission (but having sold them NF, they do ask for it eventually).

Jan

#6 - April 23, 2008, 07:12 AM
ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW HOLLYWOOD MOVIES GET MADE [Cherry Lake/2015]
GHOST LIGHT BURNING [ABDO/2015]
MONSTER HUNTERS [ABDO/2014&2016]

make a copy of the specific pages you got your information from because eventually you're going to be asked to send it.

Cricket will also ask for these pages to be sent for any historical fiction they purchase as well.
#7 - April 23, 2008, 09:28 AM

Members: