SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Highlights - craft submission

Discussion started on

JuliePgh

Has anyone here sold a craft to Highlights without actually including a sample of the craft? 

I'm also curious about the crafts they show in the magazine... are those the actual crafts that the authors send in or does the Highlights staff recreate them?  Those crafts always look so good compared to what I create.  I have a good craft idea that I think can sell, but I'm sort of afraid my lack of artistry  won't make it look appealing enough to sell.

Thanks,
Julie
#1 - June 16, 2008, 08:10 AM

I've sold several craft articles (including Highlights for Children) and I usually include a sample of the craft when I can.  The editors generally recreate the craft to be sure that it will be easy for children to make and the sample serves as a guide.  I wouldn't worry about your "lack of artistry"--if the project is fun and engaging for children (and has appeal for boys as well) this won't be a problem.  Here is a link for more information (scroll down to "crafts"):  http://www.highlights.com/custserv/customerservicecontent2main.jsp?iContentID=2552&iCategoryID=203&CCNavIDs=3,203

Good luck, Julie!

Jessica
#2 - June 16, 2008, 09:16 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I've sold a craft to Highlights. Although I did make a sample of the craft to make sure it worked and was easy for children, I didn't send it in my submission. I took a photo of it and copied the photo to a word document, printed and sent that with the craft instructions.
#3 - June 16, 2008, 09:22 AM
SPACE EXPLORERS (Rourke, 2019)
OCEAN EXPLORERS (Rourke, 2019)
GRAVITY IN ACTION (Rourke, 2019)
www.annettegulati.com

I've sold crafts to Highlights. I sent the instructions for the craft, along with pictures of each step.
#4 - June 16, 2008, 09:25 AM

Poster Plus
I sold two crafts by sending photos and instructions. 
#5 - June 16, 2008, 09:29 AM

JuliePgh

Great info and links.  Thank you, everyone!

Julie
#6 - June 16, 2008, 09:32 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I sold a few crafts to Highlights, and either included the craft, or if it was bulky or wouldn't travel well, a photo of the finished craft.  My daughters are seven and ten, and they eagerly created the samples for me.

Good luck!  I hope to see a post from you in the good news section soon. :goodluck
#7 - June 16, 2008, 09:38 AM

I went to a Highlights Foundation workshop last fall and the crafts editor said she prefers to receive a sample of the craft, whenever possible.
#8 - June 16, 2008, 04:01 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I've always sent a sample of the craft to Highlights.  I also seem to recall hearing they preferred to receive the sample. They bought a craft game from me a while back and used it.  The picture in the magazine seemed to be the sample I sent but looked like it had been photoshopped a bit for some of the colors to pop more. 
#9 - June 16, 2008, 04:57 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
I've sold 4 or 5 crafts, and always send a photo.  I've never sent an actual sample, and the photo in the mag is one they've made.

Sara
#10 - June 16, 2008, 07:08 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
New!
I've sold a craft to Highlights.  I sent a sample with the sub and that's what they used for the photo when they published it.
#11 - June 18, 2008, 12:47 PM
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 04:36 AM by Ev »

Members: