SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Cricket, Spider ...?

Discussion started on

smichel

Anybody hear anything from them but the sound of no reply? I just wonder what's going on there. I subbed something way back in October and never heard back. I tried emailing them but never heard back either. So then I resubbed but still haven't heard a peep.  I know I had the address right both times ( I double checked ) and I sent SASEs.  Nothing. I know they've been slow to respond but this seems a little beyond normal.
#1 - June 28, 2008, 08:01 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
One of my stories to Ladybug took 10 months for a response.  (That was year before last.)  Like you, I figured it was lost and resubbed, but when I got the response it was to my original.

I subbed another story to them in May 10, 2007.  I resubbed in January when I hadn't heard.  I got an acceptance to the resub within two weeks.  I finally heard from the original March 15th and it was a rejection--so again that was more than 10 months.

I think they're just a lot slower than they used to be.  Hang in there.  I'm wishing you good luck and hoping yours will be an acceptance.  :crossedfingers

Ev
#2 - June 28, 2008, 08:25 PM

smichel

Thanks, Ev. I'd like to think it might be an acceptance but I doubt it.  Maybe they're just overwhelmed by the sheer volume of submissions. I guess i should be patient.

Stella
#3 - June 29, 2008, 07:17 AM

Murph

Received a rejection on 6/30/08 for three poems submitted to Spider.  Four months and five days of waiting.
#4 - July 03, 2008, 06:50 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I sent something to Ladybug in December--no response yet.  Last week I decided to send a status query.  I'll let you know if I hear anything.   :goodluck
#5 - July 04, 2008, 09:35 PM
You must be mad, said the Cheshire Cat, or you wouldn't have come here. -- Lewis Carroll

I sent a story to Spider over
a year ago (3-07). Haven't heard anything.
Sent a status query
email last fall, I think. Again, no word.
I have not tried resubmitting, but I guess I could.
I have another story at Cricket that has also been with them
about a year as well.
But I've also heard that long waits are not unusual for
them.
#6 - July 05, 2008, 09:32 AM
twitter.com/enzor_jenni
jennienzor.blogspot.com

MichelleBud

I subbed something to Cricket at the end of December and haven't heard anything either. I'm trying to be patient about SQing, but patience is not one of my strong suits....
#7 - July 05, 2008, 12:24 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
If the other bug magazines are like Ladybug, it's probably not helpful to status query.  At least that's been my experience.  If it's long past the reply time that they've given, I'd just resub.  They send out boxes of subs to first readers and don't have any way of tracking them, so status querying just doesn't work.

Best wishes,
Ev
#8 - July 05, 2008, 12:58 PM

MichelleBud

Thanks for the insight, Ev!

Maybe I should refocus my energies on writing something new, or even do some laundry!  :linedry

(Ok, I really just wanted to use that icon!)
#9 - July 05, 2008, 03:05 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I received my status query back yesterday telling me to resubmit.  (I sent it  :snail mail on June 25th.) 
#10 - July 06, 2008, 03:34 PM
You must be mad, said the Cheshire Cat, or you wouldn't have come here. -- Lewis Carroll

Member.
Poster Plus
On a different note, are they slower with their comp copies lately? It's been awhile since I've been in a bug magazine, but they used to send author copies before the month of the issue. Now I am in the July issue of Cricket, and I've seen it at the library, but haven't gotten my copies...
#11 - July 17, 2008, 06:22 PM

Hey, congratulations! I didn't know you were in July's Cricket--which is yours? (I'm in there too.) I got my copies around the third week in June....
#12 - July 17, 2008, 11:09 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I spoke too soon-- mine arrived today! I think the confusion arose because they had my correct street address, city, state, etc., but then had the country listed as Canada! It was mailed from Sweden, too, which I found odd...

My story is "Little Brother." I haven't sat down to read the issue yet, but I paged through, and yours looks very interesting!
#13 - July 18, 2008, 11:21 AM

Sweden?!  :eh2 That's hecka weird.

I really liked your "Little Brother" story! Looks like we both wrote about boys with bats (or mallets) and something to prove  :D
#14 - July 18, 2008, 11:41 AM

Members: