SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

American Girl still accepting fiction?

Discussion started on

I was wondering if anyone knew if American Girl mag was still accepting fiction? The most recent issues I checked out had stories written by their readers from contests and prompts that were provided.

If this one is closed to adult authors, any other girl mags I could submit a story to for the 8-12 y.o. crowd? The story involves a tween girl struggling with shyness.
#1 - August 01, 2008, 06:05 PM
Twitter: @ KarenBlyToo

Tracy Vonder Brink

My ten year old tried an issue of Discovery Girls magazine and liked it.  I don't know if they use fiction, but you might check them out.

Tracy
#2 - August 01, 2008, 08:17 PM

MaudeStephany

There are a number of Canadian girls' publications - Girls Can Do Anything, Girls' Life, Six78th to name a few... if you can manage a Christian tie-in there's Brio (and Brio and Beyond)... any other suggestions folks?

Maude  :broccoli
#3 - August 02, 2008, 08:45 AM

I think I recently read that American Girl was full on fiction submissions. Try New Moon for girls 8-12. 
#4 - August 02, 2008, 09:16 AM
Stained Glass Summer, Musa Publishing
Weaving Magic, YA Romance
Finders Keepers--MeeGenius Publishing
www.mindyhardwick.com

Member.
Poster Plus
There are a number of Canadian girls' publications - Girls Can Do Anything, Girls' Life, Six78th to name a few

The second two are not Canadian... Girls' Life is for slightly older (14 range), and Six78th does not print fiction.
#5 - August 02, 2008, 10:28 AM

MaudeStephany

New Moon, last I remember, was only accepting submissions from their readers...

sorry if I misrepresented magazines that are specifically Canadian vs those that are simply girls' magazines... it was early... the coffee hadn't kicked in... and the grammar check inside my head hadn't switched to the "on" position. 

Maude  :broccoli
#6 - August 02, 2008, 11:23 AM

Where did you hear that about New Moon? According to their website guidelines they accept Herstory, Women's Work, and Fiction from adult writers with best chance of acceptance if it fits one of their themes. I just received a personal rejection on a fiction piece with a personal note and invitation to submit more work.

Here are the guidelines according to the website:
http://www.newmoonmagazine.org/getinvolved/submitcontent/writingsubmissionguidelines/index.html
#7 - August 02, 2008, 01:45 PM
Stained Glass Summer, Musa Publishing
Weaving Magic, YA Romance
Finders Keepers--MeeGenius Publishing
www.mindyhardwick.com

Thanks for the recommendations for girl mags. Girls Life and New Moon look promising. Still not sure about American Girl though, I sent them an email but I'm not sure if I'll hear back.
#8 - August 04, 2008, 05:51 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hi KarenB,

American Girl Magazine was listed in this week's issue of Funds for Writers. Their current guidelines specifically say that they're not looking for fiction at this time. Here's the link: http://www.americangirl.com/corp/corporate.php?section=about&id=8

Good luck finding a home for your piece!
#9 - August 04, 2008, 09:49 AM

inluvwithwords, thank you so much for your reply. they must have changed their website because i didn't see that last time i was there. cross them off the list!
#10 - August 04, 2008, 10:32 AM

Members: