SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Highlights submission

Discussion started on

Tracy Vonder Brink

I'm working on a holiday story about St. Nicholas that I'd like to sub to Highlights.  It is fiction, but I'm going to include a bibliography.  Should I also include photocopied pages of the sources?  Highlights asks for copies for nonfiction, but this is fiction, and I don't quote anything.  Not sure what would be best...

:thankyou  Tracy
#1 - August 13, 2008, 02:34 PM

If it's fiction, and how could a story about St. Nicholas be anything else (unless you're talking about the original priest, or was he a bishop), why do you need a bibliography? And if you do include a bibliography, I've never been asked to submit photocopies of where I got the quotes.
#2 - August 13, 2008, 04:02 PM
Come join my novel writing journey where I often offer writing tips at www.paulwwest.com, and find my novel Bridgetown High set in Crockett, Californi

Tracy Vonder Brink

My story mentions some different traditions from around the world, as well as some of the stories about St. Nicholas. (the actual historical figure)  I thought I'd include a bibliography of where I learned about the traditions/history.  Am I wrong?

Tracy
#3 - August 13, 2008, 04:45 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
I'd save it until they ask for it.   If they need one,  they'll let you know.

:goodluck

Christine   
#4 - August 13, 2008, 10:09 PM

Tracy Vonder Brink

Thanks!

Tracy
#5 - August 14, 2008, 07:15 AM

Shirley Anne

I  have never sent a bibliography for fiction, but have sent hundreds for non-fiction. Don't send copies of your references. Just send the bibliograpy. Shirley Anne
#6 - August 14, 2008, 09:44 AM

Tracy Vonder Brink

Thanks.  I asked about the photocopies because the Highlights contributor guidelines (for nonfiction) say: "Complete bibliographies as well as photocopies of key pages in references must be included."

However, as I'm revising my story's becoming more and more fictionalized, so I don't think I'll need a bibliography.  (The first few drafts relied more heavily on the legends, which is why I wondered if I'd need a bibliography.)

:thanks2 to all!

Tracy
#7 - August 14, 2008, 12:46 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
I've sold "fact-embedded" fiction to Highlights and they have not asked for resources. I sent a bibliography and that seemed to be adequate.

However, Carolyn Yoder made such an impression on me at Chautauqua a few years ago, that if I were to send her so much as a cover letter I would be compelled to include a copy of my birth certificate to back up my signature. ;)
#8 - August 28, 2008, 02:04 PM

Tracy Vonder Brink

Thanks, Cassandra!

Tracy
#9 - August 29, 2008, 07:23 AM

However, Carolyn Yoder made such an impression on me at Chautauqua a few years ago, that if I were to send her so much as a cover letter I would be compelled to include a copy of my birth certificate to back up my signature. ;)

:dr
#10 - August 29, 2008, 11:04 AM

Members: