SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

writing samples

Discussion started on

ginbug

Hi everyone!

I want to query Faces about an article based on one of their themes. I noticed they ask for a writing sample if you've never written for Faces before. I'm wondering what to send, since I have been unable to get anything published in the children's genre. I have bunches of published nutrition/food articles that I wrote for the general public. My nonfiction article idea is loosely based on food. I also have PB text that is, of course, unpublished. And lots of unpublished poetry.

Hmm...maybe I'm just a bad writer and no one has the guts to tell me?   :eh2

Anyway, should I send an adult clip, or should I write up a children's nonfiction writing sample about some random topic and send it with the query letter?   
#1 - October 10, 2008, 12:02 PM

Hi Ginbug,

I've not subbed to Faces or offered samples before, but here's a short piece by Vijaya from the boards about Work for Hire and she discusses magazine work there as well as books:  http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=13056.0

Perhaps she or someone else in the know will stop by and offer some more specific advice, or you may want to pm her...

:goodluck
#2 - October 11, 2008, 03:35 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hi Ginbug,

When I wrote my query to Cobblestone (which is published by the same group as Faces) , I ended up writing a sample article geared toward their target audience about a different nonfiction topic I was interested in.  I'm happy to say it worked!  Cobblestone requested that I write my proposed article and published it.  (My lack of an appropriate writing sample had been making me reluctant to submit, so I was so glad that I finally just jumped in and did it.)

Good luck with your submission!

Brianna
#3 - October 11, 2008, 07:01 PM
Intergalactic Afikoman (publisher)
WHERE DO DIGGERS SLEEP AT NIGHT? series (author)

www.intergalacticafikoman.com
www.briannacaplansayres.com

Members: