SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Please Help Me Send Photographs to Fun For Kidz

Discussion started on

Virginia Bartolus

I got a how-to article accepted in Fun for Kidz a couple years ago. I sent the photographs and thought everything went fine, but I just got a phone call saying the photos didn't email correctly. Before I try sending them again, can anyone give me any tips (I'm terrible working with photographs). How big should the files be? Do you just attach each photo individually? Do you send as a jpeg or something else?

I'd like to know this in case I make the bad decision to email photos in the future, too.  :whistle

:thankyou
#1 - November 12, 2008, 08:04 AM

I send pictures as jpeg. You might want to send them individually or reduce their size first. Can you test the email by sending to a friend or another account you own, first?

:goodluck

#2 - November 12, 2008, 08:17 AM

Virginia Bartolus

I just sent them to my other email account, and they came out okay. I'm not sure if I did anything different than the first time I sent them, though. They're in jpeg, reduced in size, attached individually. I'm off to try again.  :thankyou
#3 - November 12, 2008, 08:26 AM

I always downsize my photos before I mail them through a software program I use.  I downsize them to 72. 
#4 - November 12, 2008, 10:13 AM

Virginia Bartolus

Is that a standard size, Kim? If they're reduced in size, does that affect their quality (as in: when the magazine enlarges them again, will they look worse?). I really need to take a class in digital photography.  :yup

I have another question for anyone who's sent requested material to Fun for Kidz, Hopscotch or Boys' Quest recently: does the email address still end in blufftonnews.com?
#5 - November 12, 2008, 10:18 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
When you're sending a photo for a print magazine (not e-mag), do NOT reduce the resolution to 72. That's not high enough for print and your photo will come out all grainy.
#6 - November 12, 2008, 10:23 AM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com
Hedy Lamarr's Double Life
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machin

Virginia Bartolus

Resolution is different from size though, right? (Though 72 does seem very small).
#7 - November 12, 2008, 11:04 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
72 is the normal resolution for web publishing. If you are sending them for a print magazine, I recommend 300 resolution.  That will make them harder to email, though.  Images can be reduced in size without losing quality but they lose quality fast when expanded in size.  I'd recommend asking the magazine how they want the images -- what size and resolution -- so that you can send them the best way for their needs.
#8 - November 12, 2008, 12:28 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Shirley Anne

For the print you want to send them as 300 dpi, either TIFF or JPEG. 72 will NOT be good for print. The Bluffton Group wants you to send a CD with your photos at 300. I've sold many to them. When I submit a manuscript, I always send it and the photos by snail mail. I love the web, but you can't use it for print photos. Any questions, just call them. I called yesterday about their theme list which had been dated June, '08. Today I see they updated it. They are very nice to talk to.

Shirley Anne
#9 - November 12, 2008, 12:34 PM

Virginia Bartolus

I probably should've sent the photos on a CD (I was even more clueless in 2006). I just emailed them again and haven't heard back yet, so maybe it worked this time. I've got the phone number, so I think I'll call and make sure. Thanks for all the great advice.  :broccoli
#10 - November 12, 2008, 01:13 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
For any of you who see Shirley Anne's note that the Bluffton theme list has been updated, don't feel you need to rush off to check it.  There are no new themes on it.   :waiting
#11 - November 12, 2008, 06:31 PM

Virginia Bartolus

If anyone's interested, I did call, and I did send the photographs successfully. I couldn't have done it without all your help.  :love
#12 - November 13, 2008, 02:45 PM

Members: