SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

sfwa membership--worth it?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Are any of you members of SFWA? Are you glad you joined? What do you like most about being a member?

Thanks!
#1 - November 26, 2008, 07:56 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'm a member...I haven't really done anything with it yet, but I do love the Bulletin because it's got fabulous articles.  Have gone onto any of the on-line pieces--from what I hear it's kind of a jungle and can get pretty nasty.
#2 - November 26, 2008, 09:03 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

SarahP

Former member.  Totally not worth it.  The online presence, including the chat rooms Marissa mentions, is a total mess. 

You can PM me if you want more info.
#3 - November 26, 2008, 10:30 AM
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 06:05 PM by SarahP »

I passed for the above-mentioned reasons. Wanted to support, but couldn't bear the politics.
#4 - November 26, 2008, 01:34 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I joined as soon as I was eligible, back in the '90s, and I'm still a member.  I will admit that the online presence isn't what it used to be. When I joined, there was a great community on an online service called Genie. Through Genie--and SFWA--I met and became friendly with some of the biggest names in the field during what amounted to a convention (with discussion panels on every subject imaginable) that lasted for years. This had an enormous impact, I believe, on my (modest) career. 

But that was back when there were not many online options. Today the community is more diffuse, scattered to personal blogs, though SFF.net seems to be a place where SFWA members congregate.  And yes, the politics can be petty and ugly. But I still belong and would not have it any other way.  The SFWA Bulletin is useful, the Membership Directory is indispensible.  The Contracts Committee, the Legal Fund, the Emergency Medical Fund, and the Grievance Committee are benefits that I, as a writer, would not want to be without, and I'm pleased that my dues fund these services, whether or not I myself ever use them.
#5 - November 26, 2008, 04:43 PM

I belong. What you get out of sfwa is directly proportional to how involved you want to get.  They are always looking for volunteers--which is a great way to start networking.  

I joined for two reasons-- to establish myself as a professional when querying agents and for the networking. But it makes me feel good to know the legal services and support are there if I need them. I also make use of their market information.

Over the last year there have been postitive changes happening within swfa and they are open to feedback.

#6 - November 26, 2008, 04:50 PM
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

What kind of awards does membership make you eligible for? Does that alone make membership worthwhile?
#7 - January 17, 2009, 10:39 AM
The Echo Room (Tor Teen, 2018)
Where Futures End (Penguin, 2016)
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Member.
Poster Plus
You don't have to belong to SFWA to be eligible for the awards.
#8 - January 17, 2009, 11:18 AM

You don't have to belong to SFWA to be eligible for the awards.

Thanks for clearing that up.
#9 - January 17, 2009, 12:31 PM
The Echo Room (Tor Teen, 2018)
Where Futures End (Penguin, 2016)
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Members: