SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Subbing to "religious" magazines...

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I have a couple of poems that were rejected by Babybug and High Five. I'm now looking for another place to submit them and as I have been thumbing through my Children's Writer Market book, noticed how many magazines have a religious (mostly Christian) orientation. As a non-religious person, I am a little intimidated about submitting anything to these magazines. I guess my question is, do these magazines only accept material with an overtly religious theme, or would a poem about, say, being kind (in a general way) be something they would be interested in? Can someone point me in the direction of which of these magazines might be worth exploring for a non-religious writer?

Thanks!

Carrie
#1 - December 23, 2009, 05:11 PM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (coming in 2020)

You can check out Guide magazine. What you write may be perfect for Pockets magazine as well. They tend to steer clear of the over religious type material

Good luck.
#2 - December 23, 2009, 05:44 PM
Unsinkable
A Bond Broken
Cassi da Conch

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
You can't really lump these magazines together. Some want chapter and verse, some want their writers to adhere to their doctrine (I got a questionnaire on beliefs from one once, just because I requested guidelines), and some want material that's in keeping with Christian belief but doesn't necessarily mention God, Jesus, or quote the Bible. As writeaway said, Pockets is a good example of one that's in the latter category. They use a theme list, and you can find it online.
#3 - December 23, 2009, 06:13 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Pockets sounds like a good place to start. I will check it out.

Carrie
#4 - December 23, 2009, 06:59 PM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (coming in 2020)

Also, even magazines that publish mostly very religious oriented material will often include pieces that are less church/scripture/doctrine related and more an illustration of positive character traits -- this is particularly true in poetry.

Jan :snowman2
#5 - January 03, 2010, 10:03 AM
ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW HOLLYWOOD MOVIES GET MADE [Cherry Lake/2015]
GHOST LIGHT BURNING [ABDO/2015]
MONSTER HUNTERS [ABDO/2014&2016]

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I've had stories published in religious magazines and those stories had a "moral" (put yourself in the other person's shoes, for example) but weren't really religious.  In one magazine, the magazine placed a bible quote at the top of the page that fit the theme of the story.
#6 - January 03, 2010, 05:44 PM

Shirley Anne

I have been published many times in "religious" magazines and the one thing I can say about them is, simply, they are all different. Some have no "religious" message and some publishers require it. There is a Christian Writer's Market Guide that is very good although I haven't ordered it in a few years. For poetry, I'd try Pockets first.

#7 - January 27, 2010, 06:21 AM

Members: