SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Icelandic names for a YA male main character

Discussion started on

Anja was the name that threw me off.
The sagas are a good resource of names. It doesn't matter if the name was common at the time. Most of the names are used today.
The translations are a little funny though. You might want to check. My kids went to school with kids whose names would translate to English words such as raven, sunny road, whale, god's writing, ugly (I'm serious about this one) and more. Many of the names are taken from nature of from the norse gods.

If you want me to look up the names, I do have a very good extensive dictionary. I also have an Old Norse dictionary. Of course you might be able to get the translations online.
#31 - March 07, 2009, 05:23 AM
Sarah Blake Johnson, MFA
http://sarahblakejohnson.blogspot.com/
Crossings (2017, Cedar Fort)

jules

Oh, sorry, I read your post too quickly the other day, thought you were looking for suggestions. Of the ones you listed, I like Bjorn.
#32 - March 07, 2009, 05:29 PM

Anja was the name that threw me off.

I am thinking it may have come to Scandinavia from Russia later.... But I LOVE Anja and have been thinking of my character as Anja for the last few days.... I wonder if it is anathema for me to use an anachronistic name....

Oh, sorry, I read your post too quickly the other day, thought you were looking for suggestions. Of the ones you listed, I like Bjorn.

That's fine--I was open to other names as well--thanks! I liked Bjorn, too. In fact, that's the name I used for the brother in my Cricket story. But I think I've fallen for Kol for my novel.  ;)
#33 - March 08, 2009, 10:54 AM

Members: