SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Carus Publishing

Discussion started on

I subbed 3 poems to Ladybug 7 mos. ago, and I received 2 back today with a form rejection. There was no mention of the third poem. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I write to them or just sit tight? Thanks!
#1 - May 19, 2009, 04:35 PM
www.amycobbwrites.wordpress.com

Twitter: @AmyCobbWrites

The first reader may have sent the other poem to the editors for their consideration.
#2 - May 19, 2009, 05:09 PM

Poster Plus
I posted something about this under magazine response times- the same thing happened to me back in 07 with Ladybug. I never heard anything about the third poem.
#3 - May 19, 2009, 06:48 PM

Thanks for your thoughts, Lenzi and Cindyb! After 7 mos., I'm ready to sub elsewhere.
#4 - May 20, 2009, 12:52 PM
www.amycobbwrites.wordpress.com

Twitter: @AmyCobbWrites

Definitely--Good luck with it!
#5 - May 20, 2009, 03:23 PM

richmond8

I got a rejection recently for a Cobblestone mag theme query/proposal, can't remember which magazine. 

Anyway in surfing around, I discovered that the magazine had done an identical theme about ten years ago, maybe more.  And that other themes are being repeated too.   I couldn't help wonder whether Carus is recycling some of the articles from these older issues, rather than buying new material.  The last three queries I've sent have all been rejected. 

Just been wondering.  I'd love to compare an old and a new version of these themes.
#6 - May 20, 2009, 04:59 PM

HollyB

I recently got a rejection of a short fictional piece most appropriate for Spider.  i asked for reasons for the rejection and was granted a lovely email with a clear explanation--too much like a vignette and not enough page-turning action.  I will be submitting again.  :smile
#7 - May 21, 2009, 11:38 AM

Mimi

Since this is all still pretty new to me, maybe someone "in the know" can help me out.

I sent in a query for Cobblestones Gettysburg theme. It was due Feb. 1. I have heard nothing yet. Is this unusual? How long after the due date should a writer expect a response?
#8 - May 21, 2009, 01:17 PM

their guidelines say you will be notified 5 months before publication date if they want to use your stuff. My experience with some of the other mags (Appleseeds, Odyssey) has been that there is no response to queries if not interested and a phone call or email if interested.
#9 - May 21, 2009, 03:18 PM
Twitter: @ KarenBlyToo

Poster Plus
Hi, Mimi -- I agree with Karen, it goes by pub date, not how long after the due date. With me, Appleseeds contacted me by email in April for an article in the following January issue. I had to get the article in by May. When they're not interested, there's no response.

Good luck with your query! 

Andrea
#10 - May 22, 2009, 03:57 AM
CHRISTMAS EVE BLIZZARD, Arbordale Publishing

No response definitely means they're not using your query. The most recent guidelines say that, too..they no longer respond to unused queries because they receive so many of them.

Marcia
#11 - May 22, 2009, 12:02 PM
Author of over 100 nonfiction books and 500 magazine articles for young readers

Members: