SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Anybody else waiting for screenplay contest results this summer?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
New!
I'm in some of the big ones.

One is in BlueCat (quarterfinalists announced June 15). This one gives feedback to all entries.
Jinnie Wishmaker is in the Page Awards (quarterfinalists announced July 1).
Both are in Nicholl's (quarterfinalists announced end of July).

Anybody else on pins and needles?
#1 - June 07, 2009, 12:27 PM
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:07 AM by TexasGirl »
Author of iPad apps, MG books, and women's fiction

I only entered the Nicholls -- got an email update a week (?) ago. There are 6,374 total scripts entered this year. So... waiting on pins and needles, not so much. Hoping a reader there rescues my needle of a script out of that massive haystack, yes.

Goodluck, Texas!  :flowers

(I've never heard of BlueCat, must go investigate...)
#2 - June 07, 2009, 01:13 PM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
BlueCat seemed interesting because the feedback is included (it costs $70 extra in Page.)

BUT, in Page, you are up against only other scripts in your genre. So my MG book script is only against 400 family screenplays, not the entire 4400.

Yeah, Nicholls is a serious longshot, but I have two friends who have been quarter and semi finalists. One of them has sold two options. Agents generally start calling if you make it that far.
#3 - June 07, 2009, 08:43 PM

... but I have two friends who have been quarter and semi finalists. One of them has sold two options. Agents generally start calling if you make it that far.

I've made it to the Quarterfinals before. It didn't do much for me agent-wise. I could see it happening at the Semi's though. Who knows? Anything's possible. It's still the best competition out there as far as I'm concerned.
#4 - June 08, 2009, 05:46 AM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

lydap

I'm also in the Page and Blue Cat with a romantic comedy I wrote with a friend. We placed 18th earlier this year with it in an Acclaim contest. The Blue Cat feedback is pretty good already. We got a first round and submitted revisions. We're going to enter another couple of contests, especially the ones with categories, as you say. It's a lot better only competing against other comedies.

I made the second round of Slamdance and the semi-finals of Writers on the Storm a few years ago with a Western romance named Long's Peak. And before that an honorable mention in the Texas Screenwriters Assn contest with a short named Transfer Station.

I've never entered the Nicholls. Thought it was too elite. Great that you made the quarter-finals in it CC. That's fabulous.

Good luck to you both.
#5 - June 08, 2009, 08:52 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
Wow, Lydap, you're rockin' da HOUSE!

Great to hear BlueCat feedback was helpful. I didn't finish early enough to take advantage of that feedback/resubmission process. I'm in two screenwriting groups with people who work regularly, so I'm lucky that I can have good readers if I need them (been too chicken so far, I'm a total n00b in screenwriting.)
#6 - June 08, 2009, 10:19 AM

lydap

I took a lot of classes here in Nashville and also in DC when I lived there. It's great to have a group to read your stuff, that's for sure.

#7 - June 08, 2009, 10:40 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
Well, I made Quarters for BlueCat. We'll see what the judges said when the feedback comes in a couple weeks. Exciting!
#8 - June 15, 2009, 08:55 PM

lydap

Congrats!!!

We didn't make it. We got the analysis last night. It was very extensive and detailed, although some of it I thought was a man trying to interpret a romantic comedy. It was interesting. He thought the guy who was completely and to a chick obviously unright for our heroine was just right for her.

Here's hoping you make the semis as well!
#9 - June 16, 2009, 10:37 AM

Well, I made Quarters for BlueCat. We'll see what the judges said when the feedback comes in a couple weeks. Exciting!

Wheee! Good luck.

:cheerleader
#10 - June 19, 2009, 03:13 PM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

lydap

We made the second round of the Page. Anyone else?
#11 - June 26, 2009, 06:50 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
Yep. I made the 2nd round with a family film (different script than the one in the quarters at BlueCat.) Very fun! Sounds like we'll hear pretty soon on the quarters.
#12 - June 29, 2009, 11:28 PM

lydap

:yay

Congrats. I guess we hear tomorrow?
#13 - June 30, 2009, 11:16 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
Sounds like it. I was in Canada when I got the first email, then the error email, and I thought that I wasn't in the running until I had time to read it more closely.

That's pretty quick for them to read 1400 scripts. We'll see how it goes!
#14 - June 30, 2009, 01:07 PM

lydap

Rats. We didn't make it. :eeyore

anyone else?
#15 - July 04, 2009, 05:25 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
I didn't advance again in page. Still in BlueCat, will find out about semi's on the 15th. And then Nicholl's at the end of the month! I have two scripts in it.
#16 - July 05, 2009, 11:00 AM

lydap

:goodluck
#17 - July 06, 2009, 10:42 AM

I just got my email from Nicholls 2009 -- I made it into the Quarterfinals again (this was a different script than the last Quartefinal script).

The email said the Quarterfinals this year are the top 321 scripts out of 6,380 entered -- which, I think is the top 5 percent? I can't do math in my head and I'm too happy to care right now. Good luck to those still waiting.

Yippee!   :yay
#18 - July 28, 2009, 05:46 PM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Member.
Poster Plus
Congratulations, CC!
#19 - July 28, 2009, 06:59 PM

lydap

Congrats!!! That's fabulous.

:yay :yay
#20 - July 29, 2009, 07:59 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Wow, CC! Congratulations and good luck!
#21 - July 29, 2009, 09:54 AM
Author of SILVER PONY RANCH and ZEKE MEEKS series

http://www.DebraLGreen.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
Awesome, CC!!!!

I didn't advance in Nicholl's this year, but both my screenplays advanced in other competitions this year, so I'm a happy writer!
#22 - July 30, 2009, 06:43 AM

I just got my email from Nicholls 2009 -- I made it into the Quarterfinals again (this was a different script than the last Quartefinal script).

The email said the Quarterfinals this year are the top 321 scripts out of 6,380 entered.

UPDATE: Found out today that I didn't progress into the Semi-finals. 114 scripts out of the 321 Quarterfinalist scripts made the cut, but mine wasn't one of them. I knew I shouldn't have opened that #$@%&*#! email!

Curses, foiled again.  :rejection Oh, well. I say that a lot lately... oh well...
#23 - August 28, 2009, 04:15 PM
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 04:17 PM by CC »
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
Just making it to quarters in Nichols is so huge. I'm sorry you didn't advance, but you still did great!
#24 - August 28, 2009, 08:19 PM

lydap

Just catching up. What TexasGirl said. Making the semis in the Nichols is a great thing.

My co-writer and I are starting to shop our script around.
#25 - September 05, 2009, 12:15 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
Good luck, Lydap! I've never shopped a script, although if I encounter a director or CE who's looking, I pitch them, so they've been read. But querying and all that, don't think I'm up for that. I hope to hear great news from you soon!
#26 - September 06, 2009, 11:53 AM

lydap

I haven't either. It seems to be fairly similar to querying book MSS although I am sure it's even more difficult to get even a request for the script. We do have a few tenuous relationships to pursue. My co-writer is a reality TV writer/producer but the two worlds don't overlap at all.
#27 - September 10, 2009, 08:07 AM

Members: