SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Author/Illustrator raise your hand

Discussion started on

ladylind

Hey all,

I'm trying to get a feel for the population in the writer/illustrator species?  On the Who We Are poll, there were a total of 4!  I'm wondering if we are really such a small species, or possibly endangered.  Anybody else out there?

Does anybody have the history on the illustrators section of the BB's, how long has it been a part of this whole scene?

Tally ho.

LL :goat
#1 - August 22, 2009, 08:01 AM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Mmm. Hmmm. One more in the crowd, the very small crowd on these boards. And I know of a couple of others. One is published and one is working very hard on her craft. (The latter could be having her baby-tho, so she might not check in 'til later.)
#2 - August 22, 2009, 12:32 PM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Avalon Ink

I do both, but not really with each other. I do a lot of freelance commission and design work and would like to branch into childrens and PB art, but my writing is focused on MG and Adult novels
#3 - August 22, 2009, 01:16 PM

Noodler & doodler
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
[Raising hand] Hi, I'm an author/illustrator! Just noticed the poll and filled it out. Ladylind, fyi, this board is, historically, a magnet for writers--more so than illustrators. I think more illustrators hang out at Drawn and Illustration Friday. Just my observation...
#4 - August 22, 2009, 02:14 PM
Forthcoming books:
HONU AND MOA (fall 2018), author/illustrator
THANKU picture book anthology (fall 2019), contributor

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
I do both. Together and separately. I have 3 PB which I both wrote and illustrated. One picture book which I illustrated. A PB with an agent waiting to hear back, which I will do both, another picture book due out in 2010 which I will only do the art and an adult non-fiction with an agent waiting to get her revision suggestions. I also have two MG novels in first draft. LOL. And yes, I am certifiably insane.
#5 - August 22, 2009, 07:40 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

I do both, too. You can check out my art at

pjlyons.com

pj
#6 - August 22, 2009, 07:52 PM
The Art of Story

ladylind

Wohoo, there are 5 to 7 of us!

Good to know you all and fantastic to hear about your successes too. 
I hadn't heard about Drawn and Illustration Friday.  Are there any writer's in that group?

When I first started to do research, I kept reading that you don't do your own illustrations because the publisher will choose one, so I was tiptoeing around a bit.  But then it looks like agents are looking for writer/illustrators.  So I wondered if that was just a recent phenomenon and what is causing the change AND if writer/illustrators are finding success.

I've got a website I'm finishing up that I would love to have your opinions on.

Thanks for your responses! :cookiemonster

LL
#7 - August 23, 2009, 08:51 AM

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I'm an author/illustrator too!

ecm, do you mean drawn.ca?
#8 - August 23, 2009, 07:56 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Noodler & doodler
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I hadn't heard about Drawn and Illustration Friday.  Are there any writer's in that group?
Hard to tell. Those sites are focused on illustrating.

But then it looks like agents are looking for writer/illustrators.  So I wondered if that was just a recent phenomenon and what is causing the change AND if writer/illustrators are finding success.
Why not pose this question on a separate thread? That way a lot of people can respond and the topic is more easily searchable, etc.
#9 - August 24, 2009, 02:07 AM
Forthcoming books:

janeeeeee

I do both.
#10 - August 24, 2009, 01:17 PM

ladylind

Hard to tell. Those sites are focused on illustrating.

Why not pose this question on a separate thread? That way a lot of people can respond and the topic is more easily searchable, etc.

Good Suggestion.  Thanks

LL
#11 - August 24, 2009, 01:34 PM

Noodler & doodler
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
ecm, do you mean drawn.ca?

Yeah, that's the site I meant, Stephanie.  :)
#12 - August 24, 2009, 02:25 PM
Forthcoming books:

Poster Plus
I am an author/illustrator too. Nothing published yet. Emphasis on yet.
#13 - August 24, 2009, 10:31 PM

innercontent

Hi,

I`m an illustrator (and would love to write too someday!) I also noticed that there don`t seem to be that many of us on this forum, but I`m not on enough to really know...

Check out my site and blog!

http://www.artbyshiran.com
http://www.artistinjerusalem.blogspot.com

Best,
Shiran
#14 - August 26, 2009, 03:34 AM

laser_braids

I'm published as an author/illustrator. Sorry, I don't seem to be able to check the board as much as I like. Where is the poll?
#15 - August 26, 2009, 06:28 AM

Zuzus Petals

I am an author/illustrator too. Nothing published yet. Emphasis on yet.

Yep, in the same boat.

Mary
#16 - August 26, 2009, 06:59 AM

Noodler & doodler
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm published as an author/illustrator. Sorry, I don't seem to be able to check the board as much as I like. Where is the poll?

Hm, maybe it's me but.... saying "published author/illustrator" sounds redundant to me. Sorry, Sarah, if it seems I'm picking on you. I'm not trying to... 
:smile

Seems to me, the meaning is changing in the course of this discussion. FWIW, there was a discussion thread on the Blueboards questioning the use of "author" vs. "writer." IMO, it follows suit that when you use the word author, you imply that one is a "published writer," so then "author/illustrator" means you're published as well. Do others have that impression?

ETA: Here's that thread... http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=37044.0
#17 - August 26, 2009, 11:46 AM
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:50 AM by ecm »
Forthcoming books:

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Seems to me, the meaning is changing in the course of this discussion. FWIW, there was a discussion thread on the Blueboards questioning the use of "author" vs. "writer." IMO, it follows suit that when you use the word author, you imply that one is a "published writer," so then "author/illustrator" means you're published as well. Do others have that impression?

I've been trying to stay out of the other thread (although I swear I've commented on it in another thread), but I will say here that I think author is fine to use even if you're not published. Also, some people have different versions of what "published" means, and whether you can truly be published if you don't have a book out.

Can you use illustrator if you're not published, or does it have to be artist? Or can you only be an artist if you've had an art show? I had trouble thinking of myself as an illustrator for a long time, because I was always an artist, but then I realized that in children's books, the work I was trying to do was illustration AND art, so either term would work.

Besides, writer/illustrator just sounds weird to me. Author/illustrator sounds much more natural, so it's what I use. I have been published, both as a writer and an illustrator, but not in a book, unless you count that one anthology, and I don't. I've also had art shows. Even if none of those things were true, I'd be comfortable calling myself (and I did) author/illustrator/writer/artist, etc. I think that everyone else should be able to call themselves whatever they want and feel comfortable with, and if people want to wait to call themselves author until after they're published, then good for them.
#18 - August 26, 2009, 01:43 PM

ladylind

I apologize.

I'm not published either.  I started this thread with the heading author/illustrator and then started talking about writer/illustrator.  Thanks you ecm for pointing out the discrepency (nice website btw).  Oh words, they're so little, yet mean so much. 

Sruble, I like your perspective on the matter I was wondering about illustrator vs. artist myself.

The poll is at http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=37733.0

Innercontent, your artwork is great!  If you want to write then you should just do it, unlike being an author (lots more work involved), a writer can just pick up a pen and be one.

Hi,

I`m an illustrator (and would love to write too someday!) I also noticed that there don`t seem to be that many of us on this forum, but I`m not on enough to really know...

Thanks for everyone's responses here.  I'm lovin the comraderie.  I got my website up today.  I'd love to get some good critiques from some fellow writer/illustrators.  Feel free to make suggestions about things you think would make it better.

www.MelissaLind.com

LL

#19 - August 26, 2009, 01:52 PM

laser_braids

I'm not sure what you were going on about, but to give a longer explanation: I am published as an illustrator, and also as an author/illustrator. Does that make sense? It really doesn't seem worth wasting time fussing about. Thanks for the link to the poll.
#20 - August 27, 2009, 06:31 AM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
In Publisher's and Agent Guidelines, they list: Authori/Illustrator please send dummy packages to:  The terminology for the combo seems to be universal as opposed to Author/Writer only.

But, it's nice to see there are some more here. Our Artemesia may check in too. She just had her baby a couple of days ago. (Maybe a future Author/Illustrator.)
#21 - August 27, 2009, 06:58 AM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
ladylind, just checked out your site. Your illustrations are gorgeous! (pastel? oil pastel?) Can't wait to see more!

The main suggestion I have is that you might want your name on all the pages (even though it's in the url). You could add it to the header or put text in at the top of the page. That way people don't get a few pages in and then forget your name. You might also want to add a © notice to your pages and images. A lot of people add them for online images these days, but some people don't.
#22 - August 27, 2009, 07:13 AM

ladylind

sruble,

Thanks for checkin' it out, it is a mix of pastel and oil pastel.  Good suggestions.

I started a separate thread http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=38224.0 for web critique so that I don't veer off course here.  I wanted to mention it though cause sometimes things get lost in the webs.

LL

#23 - August 27, 2009, 07:32 AM

df

Hi all. I haven't visited here in a while - you can count me in as a published author/illustrator. I'm sure there are more of us out there!
Debbie
#24 - September 04, 2009, 03:25 PM

I write and illustrate. I'm not published yet. I'm never sure what to call myself...     :eh2

I hear the terms 'published author' and 'unpublished author' quite a bit, so I've always taken that to mean that someone who refers to themselves as an author/illustrator could be either published or unpublished.
#25 - September 05, 2009, 09:08 AM

LauraOP

I can't see the poll either! But I guess I do both...

Although Illustration is my main passion, I rediscovered my love for writting about a year ago. I have written and illustrated one unpublished book.
I'm also in the beginning stages of creating a dummy and will be submitting it to a UAE based children's publisher. Finger's crossed they'll like the writting and illustration and take the "un" out of published!
#26 - September 06, 2009, 12:51 PM

ladylind

The poll is still up at http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=37733.0 it is at 199 polls- you could be number 200!!!  What is UAE? 

Glad to see that our numbers are still rising.

ML
#27 - September 15, 2009, 01:32 PM

Shadow22

Hey, count me in TOO.  I just got published a few months ago. 
#28 - September 15, 2009, 05:38 PM

jamiepogue

I wouldn't mind being thrown in as an author illustrator...or at least, aspiring.  Currently working on a manuscript as we speak.
#29 - September 17, 2009, 08:22 AM

JoS

me too!  :paint :writing3
#30 - September 17, 2009, 08:28 AM

Members: