SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Author/Illustrator raise your hand

Discussion started on

ladylind

Welcome Kristen!  Sounds like quite a journey you were on.  Glad you found your way back :)
#61 - November 23, 2010, 11:28 AM

jd hull

I'm both a writer and an illustrator. I worked as an illustrator for 5 years. I've written mostly short stories and short screenplays. My goal is to write write write this year and create a graphic novel next year.
#62 - January 06, 2011, 06:18 PM

JustWrite

Hi Edna, old buddy old pal! I'm an agented young adult writer, graphic designer and hope to be illustrator of a picture book I just can't seem to get started on. I'm not worried about the art--I've already done samples--I'm just so stuck about writing the picture book. I know it's weird, but how I'm so intimidated by it!
#63 - January 06, 2011, 09:51 PM

traylorillo

Hi, I'm a writer/illustrator and have been a graphic designer for 17 years.
Here is my website:

Tami Traylor | Illustration and Design
www.traylorillo.com | tami@traylorillo.com
#64 - January 09, 2011, 01:02 PM
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 01:03 PM by traylorillo »

Rock of The Westies
Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Welcom Tami. Your work is very lovely. Nice to see you check in.
#65 - January 09, 2011, 06:24 PM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

ladylind

How fun, new people!  Always good to strengthen the AI ranks.  Welcome.

Good luck on your Graphic novel jd hull.  No need to fear JustWrite, you can do it.  Great website Traylorillo.
#66 - January 15, 2011, 08:12 AM

stacebee

Hullo ,

Illustrator and new writer, teetering on the cliff's edge of publishing - getting ready to dive in!   :drowning:   

Feel free to check out my blog (http://byerfire.blogspot.com/)

Thanks for starting this thread !

#67 - January 16, 2011, 08:10 AM

ladylind

Welcome Stacebee,

Fun artwork...I like your house spirit coming out of the wall.  He is mischief all over.  

And the Caribbean!!!  How cool is that?
#68 - January 19, 2011, 08:51 AM

stacebee

Thanks Ladylind !
 Caribbean culture is chock full of very interesting folklore characters !
#69 - January 23, 2011, 03:46 PM

DDHearn

I am an author/illustrator with three published books that I both wrote and illustrated.  I have illustrated over 50 published books by other authors as well.  Right now I'm working on a dummy of a story I wrote, hoping to find a home for it soon.  The struggle never ends...

My website is
www.dianedawsonhearn.com
#70 - February 02, 2011, 12:19 PM

Sarah C. Pilon
Member.
Poster Plus
I consider myself a writer / illustrator even though I don’t have any published work under my belt yet.
However I am very optimistic about my current projects. Fingers crossed!!
 :alce: :crossedfingers
#71 - February 03, 2011, 05:23 AM

Rock of The Westies
Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Nice to see you check in Diane. Loved looking at your portfolio . . . and accomplishments.

Pilonsc, Welcome. Fingers crossed for your current works too.

:hairdude
#72 - February 03, 2011, 06:18 AM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
Wow- there is like four new post here since the last time I looked- and I checked out the links to your portfolios and wow- nice work! the more illustrator voices on these boards the merrier!!
#73 - February 03, 2011, 07:11 AM

Count me in!  :grouphug2
#74 - February 23, 2011, 07:17 AM
"Maya was Grumpy"
Flashlight Press 
May 2013.
www.pippinmathur.com

Writer/Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I'm here too. I have illustrated a picture book that's bee published and I have several picture book mss in various stages, one with a dummy book. Several have been submitted and received nice rejections. Lately I've been focusing on writing MG and YA and doing separate illustrations more for style play and development. I'm hankering to work on another dummy book though. It is such a time consuming process, but I think I'm going to have to dive in and do one soon. I have a PB character that keeps knocking on my brain. He wants to be seen! Most recently, I updated my website to show my latest illustration work. I'm still working on an color illustration for my header that I'll be putting up next week.

Keep on writing and painting ya'll! And don't forget to enjoy the process. :D
#75 - February 24, 2011, 09:47 AM
The Mermaid's Gift, Pelican, 2015
Cody and Grandpa's Christmas Tradition, Pelican 2016
Rest in Peace RaShawn, Creative Medicine, 2017

Children's Illustrator / Author
Member.
Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hi all, I'm chiming in as a published illustrator/author - so count me in too!    So far I've illustrated one children's book, for grades 5-8, Write Out of the Oven!,  published by Teacher Ideas Press/Greenwood Publishing in 2005 and have one short story published in Chicken Soup for the Child's Soul, titled, Standing Up, published in 2007.   There's more info. and a full portfolio on my website, blog and facebook page, so feel free to check it out.    I'm currently working on a couple of PB's and totally re-vamping my website.   Happy drawing and writing to all!   :paint
#76 - March 10, 2011, 11:56 AM

Nita9

I do both too, and love it. Best of both worlds!

www.anitavalleart.com

Anita
#77 - March 14, 2011, 08:06 PM

Heather Hatch

Putting my name on the list.

Yes, I am.  I majored in children's illustration but moved away from doing both words and pics for a time. My writing was initially stronger than my art. It met with quicker success. But I unintentionally moved away from the work, figuratively and literally by changing my sketching/painting habits, one evening, one early morning, one playground Saturday at a time.

I missed the creative work and challenge.   I'm writing again and plan to slowly phase in new portfolio and illustration projects. Consistency over Quantity right now. Solid baby steps straight forward.

I don't want to illustrate everything I write, myself, though.  Sometimes my book subjects are outside my favorite drawing niches.... like cars. Old cars are ok. New?  A  whole bookful? Boor-ring.There is going to be someone better. But pre-Henry Ford history?  Ahhh. I also like nature and conservation subjects, folktales and doing whole packages for the very young.
#78 - May 29, 2011, 10:42 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Hello - I'm an author/illustrator too. I've just signed with an agent after submitting my first book dummy.

I've worked in editorial and advertising (both illustration) but have spent the last couple of years portfolio building. I never planned to 'write' but stories started to appear in my head whilst I was sketching characters and I recently started writing them down.

In terms of the author/illustrator title, I am an illustrator because I illustrate (not because I'm published) - I would think it was odd to hear an unpublished illustrator call themselves an 'artist'. Illustrators and artists are different roles x
#79 - May 30, 2011, 07:23 AM
Big Whoop! (Pow! Books) July 2014
Sorry, Dad! (Caterpillar Books) May 2014
Pi-Rat! (Caterpillar Books) Aug 2013

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Just found this video - the difference between writer/author - thought it might interest some of you if I posted it :) x

http://www.linkedin.com/news?viewArticle=&articleID=492987584&gid=1851208&type=member&item=51910589&articleURL=http%3A%2F%2Fbit%2Ely%2Fmindset2&urlhash=PDWT
#80 - June 01, 2011, 09:48 AM
Big Whoop! (Pow! Books) July 2014
Sorry, Dad! (Caterpillar Books) May 2014
Pi-Rat! (Caterpillar Books) Aug 2013

ladylind

Welcome Maxi and Nita9!!!

Congratulations on signing with your agent Maxi.  BRAVO!  And cheers to stories appearing in your head, sounds familiar;)
#81 - June 13, 2011, 06:22 AM

T Howell

I'm raising both hands; that's why I named my website studioambidextrous. But occasionally I draw on the wrong side of the brain.

http://www.troyhowellstudio.com/
#82 - June 14, 2011, 12:01 PM

Hand up.

- Eric

#83 - June 14, 2011, 12:16 PM

Writer & illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I'm an author & illustrator! Illustrating a picture book now for Simon & Schuster, working on my own picture books to submit as well as a YA novel.

Debbie
#84 - October 10, 2011, 01:44 PM
DebbieOhi.com - Twitter: @inkyelbows - Instagram: @inkygirl

skate

I'm a writer/illustrator too, but only in the self-published world. Does that count? I haven't actually illustrated my own books because they're for older kids, but I've been doing a few covers lately, including my own.
#85 - November 06, 2011, 06:16 AM

Members: