SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Subbing again before hearing back?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
A few weeks ago, I submitted two pieces to Ladybug magazine. I've also been working on some shorter stuff for Babybug and feel that a few of these are ready now. Would it be some kind of faux pas to submit my Babybug pieces before hearing back on the other stuff? Should I mention the other submissions in my letter? Also, for future reference, if I had more submissions for the same mag (e.g. Ladybug) that I wanted to send before hearing back on something already submitted, is that generally OK?

Thanks!

Carrie
#1 - September 07, 2009, 05:31 PM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (coming in 2020)

Poster Plus
Carrie,

I have sent pieces to both at the same time. They are two different markets aimed at different age groups, so it's okay. (I have had pieces sent to the one and accepted for the other- they make the ultimate decision as to what they think suits their needs.) However, if I have poems sent to, say, Ladybug, I will not send more poems to them until I hear back on the first sub. It might be suitable to send poems, and then, before you hear back, to send a story, since those don't compete against each other.

Hope that helps.

Cindyb
#2 - September 07, 2009, 06:03 PM

I agree with Cindyb that they are 2 different age groups so no problem submitting to both at the same time. I usually wait to hear back on one submission for a mag before sending them another one. But I have sent nonfiction and fiction within a month of each other to same mag
#3 - September 07, 2009, 07:17 PM
Twitter: @ KarenBlyToo

New!
You've been given good advice here--there's no problem subbing items for different mags near the same time. When it comes to very short subs for Babybug, it is perfectly fine to send more than one together. And multiple poems (whether for the same mag or not) can be subbed together in the same envelope (I'd suggest no more than five.) There's no need to mention previous subs in your cover letter.

:goodluck
#4 - September 08, 2009, 11:49 AM
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 12:11 PM by Lenzi »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Thanks, everyone. That was great advice - really thoughtful, logical explanations.

Christy, yesterday I was at the library in the morning and checked out 3 issues of Highlights magazine, thinking I'd get familiar with it and see if I could work on a few things for them. (My son is still a little young for Highlights so I haven't read it in ages.) One was the June, 2009 issue with your story "The Rune Hunt" in it. So just about the time you were answering my question here, I was eating my lunch and reading your story! (Which I thought was great, by the way.) Kind of a strange coincidence, huh?

Thanks again.

Carrie
#5 - September 09, 2009, 05:17 PM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (coming in 2020)

Ha! How cool! Thanks for telling me that, Carrie--I'm glad you liked it.
#6 - September 10, 2009, 08:59 AM

Members: