Photo question

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Hi,

I'm subbing my first NF article to a magazine.  (The article was requested after I queried.)  I have a question about photos: the subject of the article sent me a disk of photos.  Can I turn around and copy some of those to my own disk to sub with the story, or will that diminish the quality of the photos?

Thanks!

Sara
#1 - October 25, 2009, 05:16 PM
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 05:21 PM by leahmiapia »
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I think it might be best to open the photos in a program such as PhotoShop and check the resolution of them. Are they in 300 dpi or higher? Are they Tiff images or Jpegs? Tiff images don't degrade like jpgs do. Anything 300 and higher will print with good quality.

Other people more knowledgeable than I am in the quality of images for printing might be able to give you more help. This is "all" I know about images.   Hope it helped a wee bit, anyway.
#2 - October 26, 2009, 09:07 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
Photographs only degrade if you open them in a photo program and resave them as jpgs again. Just copying them by looking at the file names or moving them to a computer and burning a new CD will have no effect whatsoever.

There are a lot of factors that determine whether or not an image is high enough quality, but a jpg that is under 1 meg in size probably isn't to begin with, and you'll need something higher quality.
#3 - October 26, 2009, 09:25 AM
Author of iPad apps, MG books, and women's fiction

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
New!
Thanks to both of you.  

I'm still confused if these will work or not for the magazine, but I guess I'll try.  The mag guidelines say at least 300 dpi, and all of the photos are that.  However, the files themselves (all jpegs) are different sizes..anywhere from 724 KB to 1128 KB (which I think is 1 MB?) to 12,000 KB! (which I can't even open except to preview on my computer.)  So does that mean the resolution is okay for all of them, but only when the photo is a certain size?

Any other suggestions, comments, or instruction based on what I've just said is welcome.  I'd like to write and sub more non-fiction, but I'm very much of a novice when it comes to the photo part!

Sara
#4 - October 26, 2009, 12:12 PM
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:51 PM by leahmiapia »
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
The reason the jpg files are all different relates to two factors: the dpi at print size (300 dpi at 4x6 is a lot smaller than 300 dpi at 11x14) and the amount of jpg compression the file has been through.

Just send them. The mag will let you know if they are unworkable, or will run them small if they have to.
#5 - October 26, 2009, 12:41 PM
Author of iPad apps, MG books, and women's fiction

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
New!
Thanks for clarifying this, TexasGirl. I had no clue about what caused degradation of photos. It's always great to learn new things. Now if my feeble mind :old can somehow manage to retain what it just learned.... :dr
#6 - October 26, 2009, 01:25 PM
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 01:27 PM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Members: