SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Girlworks magazine

Discussion started on

MaudeStephany

This is a brand new magazine, and I discovered it in December when I received a flyer in the admail inviting me to suscribe to this magazine. It is a Canadian magazine (which will mean that they will likely just want work by Canadian authors), and put together for girls ages 11-15. It is, by its own description a magazine for smart girls, and is very intelligently written.

As my daughter is only 7 yrs old, I didn't subscribe to this magazine, however, I did contact them and submit a number of different things in December. Yesterday, they let me know that they have accepted a quiz that I wrote and that it will appear in the March/April issue of the magazine. I also pitched some article ideas to them, and am now starting work on producing an article about climbing for them which should appear in the July/August issue.

I emailed the editor today, and have requested an interview with her to better inform other writers about the magazine, their mandate and format etc ... I will report back here as soon as I can as I am certain that she is in the process of putting the March/April issue to bed.

Maude  :frog
#1 - February 10, 2010, 12:03 PM

Very cool. I had wondered about this magazine.
#2 - February 15, 2010, 12:23 PM
ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW HOLLYWOOD MOVIES GET MADE [Cherry Lake/2015]
GHOST LIGHT BURNING [ABDO/2015]
MONSTER HUNTERS [ABDO/2014&2016]

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I tried writing to the email address listed on their website submission guidelines to ask them a question, and my email got bounced.  I tried sending it from both my gmail account and from my juno account and both of them bounced.

Has anybody else had trouble getting emails to go through to that address?
#3 - February 17, 2010, 11:59 AM

MaudeStephany

I'll look into it, EV - I do know that the editor is away on holiday though... maybe her inbox is full????

#4 - February 17, 2010, 12:01 PM

Just got my issue of CW, and Girlworks is featured there in the Marketplace section.  They list the e-mail addy as:  publisher@girlworks.ca

buglady
#5 - February 17, 2010, 12:40 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
That's the one I used, Buglady--it's the same as the one on their website. 
#6 - February 17, 2010, 07:57 PM

I wonder if they've been swamped with submissions since it appeared in CW, and the inbox is full?

The article says they accept queries via mail, too.  Do you have the address, Ev?  If not, pm me and I'll send it to you.

Good luck on your subs!

buglady
#7 - February 18, 2010, 05:41 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hi Ev,

I queried them on 2-12 and my email went through, (that is, it didn't bounce back, so I assume it arrived safely.)

-Ruth
#8 - February 18, 2010, 11:10 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Thanks, buglady.  I pmed you.

In case anybody else knows the answer--are they interested in puzzles, and if so, can they be sent as attachments?
#9 - February 18, 2010, 04:30 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Well, I finally thought of one other thing to try and it appears that my email went through this time.

In case anybody else has trouble sending them an email, if you've listed the URL for your website or blog in your signature, try removing it.  That's what made the difference for me.

Best wishes,
Ev
#10 - February 18, 2010, 07:46 PM

MaudeStephany

The editor is away on holiday right now - but when she returns I will double check what they want/need and will accept. Again, this is a Canadian magazine so they may NOT (depending on how much of their funding is from the Canadian gov't) accept non-Canadian submissions.

EV- I have sold a quiz to them .. will pm later.

#11 - February 19, 2010, 06:58 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I'm bumping this thread up.

Does anybody have any current info on this magazine?  I tried going to their website and couldn't get to it.  Is that just a problem with my computer or has the magazine ceased publication?
#12 - August 28, 2011, 12:12 PM

I'm not able to get in to the site, either.  I hope they're still around, I love this magazine!
#13 - August 29, 2011, 05:50 PM
- Victoria -

Writing Coaching: vlawinning.ca
Blog: victorialynnfry.blogspot.ca
Twitter: twitter.com/victorialfry

Members: