SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Submission tips to AD and editors for illustrators

Discussion started on

suana

:writing3

Hello everyone!

I am new here. I am an illustrator and designer  and lately I have been wondering what the best approach ito reach publishers, editors and art directors. In the past I always sent them a standard cover letter along with some samples of my work and a link to my website. Do we illustrators have to be more creative in our approach [as writers who give a brief about their new MS or project?]
I'd love to here from you.
You can find more about my work here: http://www.suanaverelst.com

Suana
#1 - March 26, 2010, 07:38 AM

Poster Plus
Hi, Suana, and welcome!  I'll let one of the many illustrators on the board answer your question but I wanted to thank you for posting a link to your website. Absolutely made my morning.  :smile

#2 - March 26, 2010, 09:03 AM

suana

:thanks

I can't seem to open a link to your profile... are you an illlustrator/writer ?
#3 - March 26, 2010, 09:47 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Suana,  there are certain things you can't do on the boards (like look at profiles) until you become a member -- I think that is achieved by making 50 or so posts and then one of the administrators having the time to make you a member.  I was confused about this at first, too, when I started on the BlueBoards! Welcome!
#4 - March 26, 2010, 10:06 AM
FIVE SHORT SECONDS
SAYA AT SPEED
RULES OF THE GAME
TEST CASES
TWISTER RESISTERS
CRASH COURSE
Heinemann, Fall 2013

Poster Plus
eecoburn is right...but to answer your question, I'm not an illustrator (although I love to paint and draw.) There are plenty of 'real' illustrators here, though...maybe one of them will pop by to offer some advice and say hello.

TH
#5 - March 27, 2010, 02:54 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Suana,

Your work is wonderful. I'd suggest researching publishing houses that you think would publish books that fit your style and send your samples to the Art Director. (be sure to follow each publisher's submission guidelines, they are listed on their websites) I don't think there is anything wrong with the approach you have taken so far (cover letter, samples and web link) but if I had a tip it would be to have a site dedicated solely to children's book illustration. An AD may get the impression that you do too many different types of work to be able to commit to a project or that maybe illustration is not your main focus. I'm not saying you can't pursue different fields simultaneously, but an AD might not want to search through everything else on your site to find the children's illustration. Just my humble opinion.

Good luck, hope I was of some help.  :goodluck
#6 - March 27, 2010, 03:38 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

suana

:hang
Thank you so much, Artemesia for your comment and advice!
Great help !!
#7 - March 28, 2010, 07:06 AM

df

Suana, I love your work!

I agree with everything Artemesia said, although you might also include those puppets with the children's illustration - they are really delightful. Also, you don't say how widely you have sent out your samples; it's hard to know who will respond, so I'd suggest sending your work out as widely as possible, to both ADs and editors (if you haven't already). That can get expensive with samples, so it might be easier (and cheaper) to send out a knock-their-socks-off postcard every six months or so. I don't think you need to be more creative than that - your work will speak for itself.

Best of luck to you -
#8 - March 29, 2010, 12:16 PM

DDHearn

Hi Sauna,

Your work is unique and wonderful.  I'm sure that you will find your way in the children's field.  I agree with a lot that has already been said, especially about sending postcards every few months.  I need to do that more myself.  You need to keep your name in front of the editors, because a lot of this business is about being in their minds when the right job comes in.  Postcards will do that for you.

Good luck
Diane
www.dianedawsonhearn.com
#9 - April 09, 2010, 01:00 PM

mattbequiet

I'm really glad to have found this post. It really helps to have someone else ask the questions so I can just sit back and reap the benefits. :) I've been pursuing getting a Rep. I haven't heard back and I'm getting pretty discouraged. I'm gonna try to compile a list of publishers and go the postcard route.

thanks it makes me feel less alone in this process (not to sound dramatic)

www.workingwilsons.com

#10 - May 07, 2010, 04:37 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Your work is amazing, Matt!  Truly is. If you want to specifically get into children's book illustration, I'd have a section JUST with illustrations that would work well for children's books. It's hard for editors to imagine what you might do if you were given a children's book assignment. Best of luck!
#11 - May 07, 2010, 04:57 PM

mattbequiet

SYoon, thanks so much for your reply (and for the kinda words *blush). I'm thinking about building an entire illustration site. At the moment I'm just making due with my current portfolio site. I've been doing more and more stuff geared towards children...I'll make that the main focus soon.

thanks so much!
#12 - May 07, 2010, 05:24 PM

mattbequiet

I mentioned in the last post about building a separate site devoted to my illustration. So I did... http://www.aboyandhisbrain.com

it's my drawing blog.
#13 - June 17, 2010, 01:34 PM

Members: