SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Highlights question

Discussion started on

coffeeluvr

Does anyone know if Highlights is still publishing a feature called What a Pro Knows?  It was listed as a current need in the Fall but I haven't seen it in the past two issues.  I also noticed it is no longer listed in the new current needs.  I sent something for What a Pro Knows back in February  and received a Bear Card shortly after.  Haven't heard anything since. Thanks.
#1 - June 11, 2010, 11:22 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I don't think this feature is in every issue, Coffeeluvr, but I see it once in a while. So do bear with them ... I hope they will make a decision soon to accept. Fingers crossed.
Vijaya
#2 - June 11, 2010, 11:28 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

coffeeluvr

Thanks, Vijaya!
#3 - June 11, 2010, 12:18 PM

I'm guessing (hoping) they are--I queried a while ago with A Pro Knows proposal and they asked to see it. I'm just waiting on pics from my pro. It's been over 6 mos ago, though.
Keep us posted and good luck!
#4 - June 11, 2010, 01:12 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
I think the What a Pro Knows feature alternates with Gallant Kids--that's why you don't see it in every issue.

Good luck!
#5 - June 11, 2010, 09:43 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

coffeeluvr

Ah ha! That makes sense, leahmiapia.  Thanks, everyone for your responses! I'll keep you posted.  Good luck mlbrown!
#6 - June 12, 2010, 09:54 AM

I just got a Bear card last week for a What a Pro knows article, so I assume it's still happening... but I was surprised that it wasn't in current needs any longer either, and I think I've only seen one of them actually published.
#7 - June 14, 2010, 11:15 AM

coffeeluvr

Cindoh--my daughter started getting Highlights last Spring.  Since then, I've noticed a handful of the What a Pro Knows features published.  I'm so glad to hear you received a Bear Card for one just last week...so I guess that answers my question.  My fingers are crossed for you!  :goodluck
#8 - June 14, 2010, 07:29 PM

For you too! (This sounds like a long wait after getting a bear card... so I hope you hear something soon.)
#9 - June 14, 2010, 09:10 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I'm at the Highlights Whole Novel workshop and we had a tour of Highlights today.  One of the editors we visited was Debra Hess who mentioned What a Pro Knows.  I didn't catch the whole conversation as I was talking with another editor, but it sounded like this was an area in which they were seeking manuscripts.  It made me think of you as I'd read this question on the board a few days ago.  Good luck!
#10 - June 16, 2010, 01:10 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

Rebecca--You're so lucky! I would have loved to have gone to this HF retreat! When I went a couple of years ago, they didn't have internet or cell reception up there. My crit buddy Lu went, too.

Glad to hear she's still looking for Pro Knows.

Question:  Should I email Debra and let her know that I'm waiting for pics from my pro and am still interested in subbing the interview (which is finished,) or let it ride? I queried her and got a positive response about 6 mos ago. My pro's just been ultra busy.
#11 - June 16, 2010, 03:52 PM

coffeeluvr

Rebecca...that's good to hear about What a Pro Knows.  Debra is the one I sent my ms to.  I agree with mlbrown--you are lucky!

mlbrown...as for your question, I think either is fine.  If you do email her, I would keep it short and sweet.  I know you said your pro is very busy...but I would try to give that person a little nudge...have you been in contact with that person recently? I had a photographer friend take the photos for my piece.   
#12 - June 16, 2010, 05:43 PM

Thanks, Rebecca! That's great to know. Have a wonderful time at the workshop... I did a magazine writing one a couple of years ago that was great.

As for following up on the query with Debra, I wouldn't. I agree that you should nudge your pro and get the photos taken care of, so that you can submit both your interview/article and photos as soon as possible.
#13 - June 16, 2010, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the advice! He's also making a custom craft pattern to go with the piece, which is probably where the delay is happening. But things have been crazy for him personally and professionally, so I understand.

#14 - June 16, 2010, 06:09 PM

Noodler & doodler
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
I'm pleased to know that Highlights is still interested in "What A Pro Knows" articles. I can't seem to find my email from Highlights with all the spec info. Can anyone tell me if we ought to submit a query or entire article?

Thanks,
Edna
#15 - June 28, 2010, 04:34 PM
Forthcoming books:
HONU AND MOA (fall 2018), author/illustrator
THANKU picture book anthology (fall 2019), contributor

kathy5476

You all seem to have so much experience, but I am very new.  I sent Highlights an unsolicited story and have not heard back.   I thought from the specs page that they were accepting unsolicited stuff.  I am interested in seeing their response to my story.  What is a bear card?

Kathy
#16 - June 29, 2010, 07:50 AM

Kathy,

When did you submit? Highlights is very good about getting back to you, even when they pass. I think they give an 8 week response time--you'd have to check their guidelines. And yes, they are all about unsolicited mss. Non-fiction you may query or send the ms., I think.

A "bear" postcard is sometimes sent when they are holding something for consideration. (It has the Bear family on it.) These days I get mostly email responses, or a quick note via snail mail, but it could be because I've sold a couple of stories to them.

Best wishes with your story!

Michelle
#17 - June 29, 2010, 08:06 AM

Highlights will accept queries but prefers full manuscripts.
#18 - June 29, 2010, 09:02 AM
ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW HOLLYWOOD MOVIES GET MADE [Cherry Lake/2015]
GHOST LIGHT BURNING [ABDO/2015]
MONSTER HUNTERS [ABDO/2014&2016]

Noodler & doodler
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
Thanks for answering, Jan!  :thankyou
#19 - June 29, 2010, 12:39 PM
Forthcoming books:
HONU AND MOA (fall 2018), author/illustrator
THANKU picture book anthology (fall 2019), contributor

kathy5476

Thank you Michelle and Jan!  Its been about 4 weeks (but seems like eight!) so I will hang in there.
THANKYOU!
#20 - June 30, 2010, 09:43 AM
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 09:48 AM by kathy5476 »

coffeeluvr

Kathy,

The editors at Highlighs are very good about sending responses.  I've always had an answer from them within two to three months.  But for some reason, this latest submission (sent in Feb.) is taking much longer.  I may have to send a status.  Good luck with your sub!
#21 - June 30, 2010, 10:34 AM

It just occurred to me that the fiction contest and prep for Chautauqua may be slowing things down as far as subs go. This is a very busy time for them, I think.

I just talked with an editor there last week regarding a story coming out in Jan. and she emailed me back in about an hour. So I know they're not all off on vacation ;) That is a long time for them to respond, though, might not hurt to check in.
#22 - June 30, 2010, 10:50 AM

I agree that February's a long time without a response on a Bear card and a SQ might be in order.
However, I did wait 21 months at one point for an acceptance on a science article, so it can definitely take a long time.
I just wonder if they're debating whether to go ahead with this feature and that's why there hasn't been an answer--it hasn't appeared often and I think it's a little odd that it's not listed in either Current Needs or their regular contributor guidelines (while Gallant Kids, for instance, is.) I hope that's the case--I really like the interview/article I did for this and hope the Bear card turns into a contract one of these days.
#23 - July 01, 2010, 09:50 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
I'll jump in here...I've sold two What a Pro Knows articles in recent months; I also recently pitched a couple more ideas to DH, and although she didn't think they'd be a good fit for that feature, she didn't mention anything about not needing any more articles or the feature going away. So...for what that's worth.

:)  Sara
#24 - July 01, 2010, 10:19 AM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Yay! That is great news. Here's hoping for contracts for me, MLBrown and coffeeluver. And before I started worrying, maybe I should have read back to Rebecca's post again to see that the editor's still looking for this feature!
#25 - July 01, 2010, 10:25 AM

Great news, leahmiapia! Congrats to you!

And I have heard that science articles can take a long time to hear back about.

Best wishes, all!
#26 - July 01, 2010, 10:52 AM

coffeeluvr

Yes! Leahmiapia's post is encouraging!Congrats and fingers crossed for the rest of us!
#27 - July 01, 2010, 11:22 AM

coffeeluvr

Update on my What a Pro Knows sub in February:

I sent a status about a week ago.  My submission is still under consideration and it's with the science editor (my article is about a TV meteorologist).  So there's still hope!
#28 - July 13, 2010, 12:42 PM

Members: