I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Yay! Finished the final revisions of text for my Civil War Drummer Boy book and emailed it to my editor today so she will have it on her desk first thing Monday morning.  It's tough trying to write new verses for history that you researched and originally wrote and sold nine years ago! (2001 is when this book sold.) It's especially tough when all your research books are three states away from where you are when your editor needs the new verses written "yesterday!" Thank heavens for the internet! I was able to do the research I needed on line to make sure the new verses I wrote are historically correct....  

Now I just have to wait and see if she likes them or if I have rewrite any of them again. This always happens when an illustrator starts working on one of my books. Some of the text isn't perfectly matched to the illustration ideas... and the books are always MUCH better in the end if I rewrite some of the text to match the amazing illustrations instead of leaving them as originally written.

#151 - July 25, 2010, 11:43 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Hey,
Well done, Verla.  I finished with my furry fiends yesterday over a cappuccino. (what a surprise). 3,710 words in that story.  It was a lot longer than I had imagined.  Now, I have to take my own furry fiend to the vet's for his vaccinations.  What fun.
Onto the next project.  I'll be "Caught in A Pickle" with that one.  That's title of the story, by the way and I know it is probably terrible, but there is a very good reason.  Dread to think how lng that one is.  77 pages, long-hand.  Anyway, I am off to sort the cat who is glaring suspiciously at me.  Not looking forward to this trip.
#152 - July 26, 2010, 02:03 AM

kadje70

Been working in bits and tinkles. Here a little - there a little. Not much, but something.
#153 - July 29, 2010, 07:30 AM

Okay, I took last week off because I was we were camping and visiting with family. This week has been a bit hit and miss because I have been trying to catch up the house after camping, but today I managed to get nearly three hours of work in thanks to food poisoning. I am feeling too sick to do anything but sleep or sit at the computer. :feelbad
#154 - July 29, 2010, 02:12 PM

Tinamarie

WOW - food poisoning enabled you to write?  You are made of hardier stock than I am.

This has been a lost week work-wise for me.  Our house was being used for a film production, I relocated with my one-year-old to a nearby hotel.  Hoping to get my butt in gear by next week.
#155 - July 29, 2010, 09:27 PM

Don't know what's got into me lately.  I finished one piece and went straight onto another.
Michelle, if I was sick, the LAST thing I would want to do is sit at the computer.  Then again, I am a longhander, I hate these things anyway.  Not strictly true, I just can't write on them.
Well done, everyone.  Hopefully I can work this afternoon.
#156 - July 30, 2010, 03:35 AM

I'm not that hardy. I have to be up because the kids are, and the computer keeps me distracted from just lying around thinking how sick I am. It's in the same room where the kids play, so I can plunk away and keep an eye on them at the same time. Of course, I can't vouch for the quality of the writing...
#157 - July 30, 2010, 06:20 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Wow, how did I miss this thread all month? Does it count if the WIP is illustrating? I've been working on my dummy every day. I have two new PB mss I've been working on,too...one is taking a breather so I can come back fresh for revisions, one is all brainstormed and plotted and waiting to be written.

#158 - July 30, 2010, 08:41 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Wow, how did I miss this thread all month? Does it count if the WIP is illustrating? I've been working on my dummy every day. I have two new PB mss I've been working on,too...one is taking a breather so I can come back fresh for revisions, one is all brainstormed and plotted and waiting to be written.

It's work, isn't it?  I imagine so. Looks like you are on fire.  Keep it up.
No work yet, just thinking.  I have to get my cappuccino first.
Just about to making truffles though. That's a W.I.P of sorts.

#159 - July 31, 2010, 03:34 AM
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 08:03 AM by Verla Kay »

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
thanks, Fiona!  :moose
#160 - July 31, 2010, 08:35 AM

@cynmarko

It is amazing what a silly little thing like forgetting your laptop modem can do.  I wrote five hundred and sixty on the compter.  Caffeine may be bad for you, but it works!
#161 - July 31, 2010, 10:58 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Are you saying the internet makes you procrastinate??? You mean, it's not just me?   :chickendance

I should totally get off here and do some work. The baby is actually sleeping. With the heat here and the fact that he's teething, he's been pretty clingy. Poor guy.
#162 - July 31, 2010, 11:18 AM

@cynmarko

I make sure Brittney Spears stays out of movies. So yeah, you're welcome.
Poster Plus
Just wrote 270 words--one page.

This is not much.  BUT, it is the first attempt I've made at a new novel in a year and a half.  It may go nowhere, but it feels good.
#163 - July 31, 2010, 11:29 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
that's awesome, the Brad.  :cheerleader
#164 - July 31, 2010, 12:32 PM

@cynmarko

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I actually wrote an entire picture book text today...! Of course, it will need a couple of years of revisions before it's ready to submit (if it EVER is) but hey! I WROTE. (And that was in between sessions at the conference. :yay )
#165 - July 31, 2010, 10:41 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

I actually wrote an entire picture book text today...! Of course, it will need a couple of years of revisions before it's ready to submit (if it EVER is) but hey! I WROTE. (And that was in between sessions at the conference. :yay )
Verla,
Seething envy is emitting from every pore in my body.  I used to be able to do that. Actually, my only real claim to fame was that I had a whole series of said kind of work printed in a local paper in the 90's and I lost ALL of them.  I think I have the first copy wilting away somewhere.   Anyway, congratulations.
Brad,
That's great.  I am happy when I write anything.  Bet you are too.
Artmesia,
This "internet" is just my excuse for complete laziness.  But I also need activity around me so I'll write this afternoon.  Might leave the modem at home deliberately. It worked yesterday.
Hope your baby's a bit better. Huge virtual hug going his way.
#166 - August 01, 2010, 03:25 AM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I think somewhere I have a WIP... but an infected arm and now antibiotic are making me so brain sluggish I should wear a name tag at all times, even at home so I know who I am.  Antibiotics are one of the worlds greatest discoveries, but my body is very anti anitbiotic.  The list I am allergic to is equal only to the list of pain medications.  The ones I can take make me feel soooo rotten, yet they have cleared up my infection.  All I want to do is sleep and sleep and stare into space. (more than is normal for me. :moose

I opened up my file today does  that count? :faint
#167 - August 01, 2010, 02:15 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
sorry about your arm, lliz, hope you feel better soon.

Congrats on writing a full draft, Verla!!

And thanks for the well wishes for the little one, Fiona.

I only got a little bit done yesterday, as I had unexpected guests in the morning, different unexpected guests in the afternoon and then for dinner and they stayed till 11pm! It was nice, tho. Made homemade butter chicken, YUM!!! Have to go for a bbq at my MIL's today, so I hope to get some work done tonight.
#168 - August 01, 2010, 02:24 PM

@cynmarko

sorry about your arm, lliz, hope you feel better soon.

Congrats on writing a full draft, Verla!!

And thanks for the well wishes for the little one, Fiona.

I only got a little bit done yesterday, as I had unexpected guests in the morning, different unexpected guests in the afternoon and then for dinner and they stayed till 11pm! It was nice, tho. Made homemade butter chicken, YUM!!! Have to go for a bbq at my MIL's today, so I hope to get some work done tonight.
If you found time to write in between all of that, I am giving up.  Myself and my character got into a bit of an argument yesterday so I put him away until I can bare to work with him again.  Hopefully today.
#169 - August 02, 2010, 02:49 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
You got into an argument with your character? LOL I love it! That reminds me of the Chester books, by Melanie Watt, where the cat takes a red marker to the author's work!  :chesirecat

So far today got nothing but housework done, just got 4 kids off to bed, so now I think I'll try to squeeze an hour or two of my WIP in.  :paint
#170 - August 02, 2010, 09:16 PM

@cynmarko

You got into an argument with your character? LOL I love it! That reminds me of the Chester books, by Melanie Watt, where the cat takes a red marker to the author's work!  :chesirecat
That's crazy, but I can envisage it. I was at the stage where only one thought entered my head: if that character was real and hopped out of the page, I'd  :violin him. Or something similar.

So far today got nothing but housework done, just got 4 kids off to bed, so now I think I'll try to squeeze an hour or two of my WIP in.  :paint
Anyone who can work in silence, I take my hat off to you.  I am really trying, but I can't.  Congrats on that housework too.
I have been alone in this dingy flat all morning and all I have heard are the faulty water pipes and my snoring beastie.  He makes so much noise, he put me right off.  So, I will have to leave home and go somewhere with atmosphere.  I WILL work today.  I am determined...in theory.
#171 - August 03, 2010, 03:40 AM
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 06:03 AM by thunderingelephants »

mswatkins

I wrote about 400 words in an hour - not necessarily earth shattering but I'll take it. The great news is that I found my notes for the end of my book. I have been looking for them all summer and now I can move forward and maybe complete my first draft. Oh how I look forward to revisions.

And since drawing sketches of my characters counts as working on my WIP (thanks for the votes!) then I've worked on my WIP quite a lot. 
#172 - August 03, 2010, 05:44 AM
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 05:48 AM by msw »

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I put together an entire book trailer for my "Whatever Happened to the Pony Express?" book in the past two days (except for the music). Does that count?
#173 - August 03, 2010, 06:01 AM
Verla Kay

I've been trying to get in 1200 words a day since I have to finish it by next Tuesday. Well, I don't have to finish it. I entered a WIP into a contest that required the full manuscript if they choose it as a finalist. It became a finalist and I got one more week to finish (BTW, contests are a great motivation to work on your story). I think I can wrap things up in a few more chapters, but it's going to be really fast pace and super abbreviate. :bangcomputer  But I'm learning that it's really hard to sit down and write because you told yourself to write.
#174 - August 03, 2010, 07:08 AM
http://www.samposey.com/
The Last Station Master, Feb. 2013

mswatkins

I put together an entire book trailer for my "Whatever Happened to the Pony Express?" book in the past two days (except for the music). Does that count?

Folks on here said that drawing pictures of characters count, so I think book trailers have to count, too. 
#175 - August 03, 2010, 07:11 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Folks on here said that drawing pictures of characters count, so I think book trailers have to count, too. 

:yay
#176 - August 03, 2010, 07:17 AM
Verla Kay

I worked for about half an hour today. My computer is being sluggish so I think I am going to call it a night. Right now, I'm exploring a slightly different direction than in the rough draft. It's fun to write.
#177 - August 03, 2010, 08:48 PM

I'm giving up.  You guys are seriously making me jealous.
Okay, maybe I won't give up completely but I have the beastie boys here today so I won't get any work done unless I go out.  Even with John and Moggy around it is far too quiet.
I will probably do all of my work this afternoon, as always.
#178 - August 04, 2010, 02:24 AM

I did about another hour if you factor out all the interruptions from the child that won't go to bed. I am completely rewriting whole swathes of my rough draft. Trying to decide if that's a good thing.  :eh2
#179 - August 04, 2010, 08:16 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I've been avoiding reading this thread, all guilt-ridden because I haven't worked on anything but an oped for the paper.  Wow, you guys are busy!  I finally managed to get another 300 into my first-ever novel (MG).  Funny enough, it was one day when all four kids were gone for six hours...I squandered four of them reading!  But it was worth it....I'm hoping to scratch out some more before bed.  Hard to tell if wine will help me or hurt me at this point!
#180 - August 05, 2010, 02:51 PM

Members: