SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

kadje70

Rewriting the beginning of my finished ms (that's under constant and never-ending revision) yet again. Dare I hope I've nailed it this time? Not far enough into it to know yet.

Beginnings make me  :gaah
#61 - July 06, 2010, 05:39 AM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
 :cloud9  Right before drifting off to sleep last night, I had a major break through in where I was going with my WIP.   :snoopy :snoopy

I love when that happens, you stop and are sort of frustrated because you aren't quite sure where you are headed and BAM, a wonderful plot transformation pops into your head.  I thank God for everyone one of those, because I have no idea where they come from...

This one is soooo good.  I love it. hehehehe

Liz
#62 - July 06, 2010, 11:30 AM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Started a new PB today.  Sometimes a new story comes very quickly.  This is not one of those times. :duh
#63 - July 06, 2010, 11:37 AM

is kooky.
Poster Plus
I was a good little writer today--time for some b00b-tube.  :popcorn
#64 - July 06, 2010, 11:44 AM
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become." ~Buddha   

Blog - http://yarghing.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
I have been writing today, but it's like pulling teeth.  :banghead
#65 - July 06, 2010, 04:26 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Worked on mine, too, but felt like I was revising more than drafting.  Sometimes revising is a form of procrastination -- albeit a good one!  Hoping to do more tonight. . . as long as my husband doesn't wave a Netflix arrival in my face.
#66 - July 06, 2010, 04:28 PM
You're never too old to become younger. - Mae West

Poster Plus
Added a bunch of words yesterday, but fewer today as I hit one of those places where I knew the general idea of what needed to happen, but not the specifics. Felt very unproductive staring at the screen typing and deleting one sentence over and over for two hours this morning. But fortunately I finally did figure out the specifics, and hopefully drafting will go more smoothly tomorrow.

Just trying to remember that every little bit counts, and I just need to keep moving forward!

Good luck everyone else!
#67 - July 06, 2010, 06:56 PM
Circus Galacticus
Fortune's Folly
The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I'm bouncing back and forth between new WIPs and revisionland. I had a new idea strike me today, so I wrote about 250 (very rough) words.
#68 - July 06, 2010, 08:41 PM
DREAM JOBS IN SPORTS PSYCHOLOGY (Rosen 2018)
THE GROSS SCIENCE OF BAD BREATH AND CAVITIES (Rosen 2019)

http://www.authorjessicashaw.com

kadje70

AAARRRGHHHH! and @&%$*@&%$@#!!!

:grrr :grrr :grrr :grrr :grrr

There. Now I'm ready to be all  :flowers2
nothing to do with writing - other stuff.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread....
#69 - July 07, 2010, 06:49 AM

Raynbow

My husband had the day off yesterday for the holiday, so I didn't write for three days in a row. But I wrote today :) 

That's me, back in the saddle ---> :giddyup
#70 - July 07, 2010, 07:08 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
 :snail  Me, today.
#71 - July 07, 2010, 07:27 AM

Poster Plus
Wrote a lot yesterday, but today just can't seem to get into it.  :waiting  I think I'll spend the rest of the day reading someone else's hard worlk. Maybe the desire to write will hit me after the sun goes down.
#72 - July 07, 2010, 10:36 AM
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com

Plotting... plotting... plotting...
This time I'm trying to figure out where this story is going before I start, instead of after I mess it up.  :gaah
#73 - July 07, 2010, 12:21 PM

Poster Plus
Feeling grateful for a good writing day -- almost 3K words, yikes! I hope I still have a brain tomorrow. I feel like I'm starting to dip down the far side of the rollercoaster, about to zoom through to the end on this draft. Whee!

After a ton of days spent staring at the screen, writing and re-writing the same sentence, staring into space trying to fit all my plot pieces together, finally it is all *actually* coming together. I credit this thread for getting me going! Thank you Verla, and everyone else daily-WIPing!
#74 - July 07, 2010, 01:58 PM
Circus Galacticus
Fortune's Folly

Z-cat

2K on a brand new WIP today!

My last baby just went out into the query world yesterday, and has already tallied one good "R" and one sucky "R".
So it's time to work on something else to keep me out of the inbox every 5 minutes.
#75 - July 07, 2010, 02:35 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I've been working on a revision request, so my once polished manuscript turned back into my WIP.  I just finished a huge round of revisions using her suggestions and took the word count from 30,000 to over 48,600.  Now to go through the full a million times and send it out to a few fantastic crit buddies before sending the agent my revision.

It looks like most of you are having a fantastic day so far.  Congrats on the 2k and 3k!  I hope you had a great plotting day, Ruth.  I'm sending lots of good writing vibes to those of you who are more  :snail than  :giddyup at the moment.
#76 - July 07, 2010, 05:41 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Go Mindy!   :cheerleader  I'm somewhere in between  :snail and  :giddyup...maybe something like this :horse  LOL!

Kim
#77 - July 07, 2010, 06:24 PM

Why do I always feel so lazy when I see such high word counts?  The greatest I think I have ever achieved was 3200. Even 5000 seems humongous (I know that's not a word, but I like it!).
I hope to achieve some writing today. :lol2
#78 - July 08, 2010, 05:59 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
I started working full time and I haven't found a balance between work, house duties and writing,  :grrr but I'm determined to finish at least one project this year. Yesterday I worked on one of the projects and today I'm starting the day doing the same. Hopefully I keep it going...  I have been thinking of buying a notebook to write in the odd times that I have off at work. My husband has been doing the research for me since he work in computers. I still write long hand but one of my projects have become so large that I need a place where I can store all the information. :lol2
#79 - July 08, 2010, 06:31 AM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
We're supposed to do housework.  I knew I forgot to do something yesterday.  :snork
I made a list of things to check off and somehow I ended up writing and writing and writing.  Did a couple of things on my list, but it was so hot I didn't even make it to the grocery store.  Me who has an extremely strong addiction to Coke (the cola type) couldn't get the energy to get up and get any.  That is sinking low.

I did do some wash, put a few things away, but mostly I sat and typed dreck. My story is progressing and I need to get it moving so I can remove all the dreck.  >BIG SIGH<

#80 - July 08, 2010, 12:09 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

kadje70

I did get a bit done yesterday as well as some research into men's fashion in the mid eighteenth century.

Still not cruisin along like I'd like to be.  :bangcomputer
#81 - July 09, 2010, 06:02 AM

Poster Plus
Very motivated today, worked a couple of hours and got a new chapter finished then went back and worked on some earlier ones.
#82 - July 09, 2010, 10:25 AM

Me too, for a change.  I did some planning, then actually got off my :mooning wrote something.  Onwards and upwards.  Ahhh...feels so good!
#83 - July 09, 2010, 11:11 AM

So far, I've opened the file and wrote the words "Chapter 16."

Hoping to make a bit more progress than that today, lol!  :snail
#84 - July 09, 2010, 12:41 PM
http://twitter.com/rachelgrinti
CLAWS, Chicken House 2012
JALA'S MASK, Pyr, November 4, 2014

Poster Plus
So far, I've opened the file and wrote the words "Chapter 16."

I'm just starting Chapter 16 too!

After my 3K day I was indeed a bit burned out, and also had to spend time redoing the last 500 since I realized I had backed away from a harder and more emotionally wrenching outcome. But I've been moving along and I think I did a bit over 1K today. I am getting to the "just finish it NOW!" stage of drafting where I want to spend every moment writing. It's probably a good thing I have a day job, a dog and a husband to keep me from overdosing. But it is nice to see the word rack up after my several reboots of the beginning and the days of slog mid-book.

Good luck everyone else! Thank you for helping me stay inspired!
#85 - July 09, 2010, 01:03 PM
Circus Galacticus
Fortune's Folly

Raynbow

I wrote 222 words today. I really miss my 1K days, but they'll come back, right? Right? *sigh* I am working on my wip, so that does make me happy.
#86 - July 10, 2010, 09:00 AM

is kooky.
Poster Plus
I have days where I write 20 pages, and days I can't write 20 words, and I never know what kind of day it's going to be until I sit in my chair. So, one sentence down, and I hope I have a few more to go... :yup
#87 - July 10, 2010, 09:09 AM
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become." ~Buddha   

Blog - http://yarghing.com

Poster Plus
I'm the same way, yesterday and today I've been able to put in some good solid hours of work. Next week?  :crossedfingers I strike while the iron is hot! Then goof off, eat, read, and vegetate in front of the TV.
#88 - July 10, 2010, 10:05 AM

I am so glad chicken is not on the menu tonight or tomorrow.  I am so sick of those feathered fiends!  Still, it kept me occupied whilst I was brooding over my coffee.  Now, onto more important things like cooking dinner...and making truffles! :star2...
Oh, and researching birds
#89 - July 10, 2010, 10:21 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Two good revision sessions today.
#90 - July 10, 2010, 07:27 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie