I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Dude! Reading is never time squandered. It is research, learning, and exercising your brain all at the same time.  :yup

And so cool you are tackling a novel! Good for you! I've been brainstorming/doing a bit of research for a YA novel for a while. Gonna start going hard on it when the dummy is done, and the other two mss are polished up. Thinking maybe when the kiddies are back in school in September would be a good time to go on it. I'll have more time when they are in school. Trying to divide time between illustration, writing, reading, kids and husband is a challenge. I don't even lose sleep anymore over the housework not getting done... well, not much sleep, anyway.
#181 - August 05, 2010, 03:02 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Liz, your first comment made me laugh. "I think somewhere I have a w.i.p" sounds a little dangerous.
Artemesia, I hope you get some "me" time away from hubby, children and even characters.  It is almost the weekend.
I INTEND to do some work this afternoon.
#182 - August 06, 2010, 03:58 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Thanks, Cyn!  I feel better now...and it was a great book!

Maybe today.... :typing
#183 - August 06, 2010, 05:13 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Artemesia, I hope you get some "me" time away from hubby, children and even characters. 

OMG, could such a thing really exist?? I can't remember the last time I had time away from kids...but hubby has 5 days off coming up, and I plan on spending some quality alone time at the library. Squeeee!

Jen, what book did you read??? Get any time in on your WIP?
#184 - August 06, 2010, 09:32 AM

@cynmarko

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Alas, no, Cyn.  It's slow going!  Also, I decided finally clean the basement because I can't walk down there any more to get to the laundry machines!

I read Mamba Point.  Fantastic!
#185 - August 06, 2010, 12:58 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
yeah but now you have no excuse to not do the laundry! didn't think that one through.... :giggle
#186 - August 06, 2010, 01:09 PM

@cynmarko

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Can I join in?  I'm a refugee from the Thousand Words Today thread...it being summer, I feel lucky to get a hundred done.   :bangcomputer
#187 - August 06, 2010, 03:06 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
totally happy to have you, Marissa! Refugees welcome!  :love
#188 - August 06, 2010, 04:14 PM

@cynmarko

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Definitely, Marissa!  In fact, your presence is sorta heartening -- not that I'm happy you are having low numbers or anything.  But it's nice to have you here!

Cyn, yeah, there's that.  What was I thinking??
#189 - August 06, 2010, 05:56 PM

Can I join in?  I'm a refugee from the Thousand Words Today thread...it being summer, I feel lucky to get a hundred done.   :bangcomputer
Marissa,
Now I feel like I should post in that thread again.  I normally only make it to six hundred maximum.  Particularly hard when there is no sound around except for noisy water pipes and a snoring beastie beside.   :cat I go to a coffee shop to get solace.  What does that say? Should be working this afternoon.
#190 - August 07, 2010, 04:12 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Oooh! I want to join! I finally have a WIP I want to work on all the time. If only I had more time ... but working on it every day at least sounds like a good plan.
#191 - August 07, 2010, 05:27 AM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I added a chapter and a half to my WIP last night.  I know I where I am headed, but can't seem to get the motivation going to finish the story.  :gaah
#192 - August 08, 2010, 09:17 AM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

I added a chapter and a half to my WIP last night.  I know I where I am headed, but can't seem to get the motivation going to finish the story.  :gaah
Sounds like you are really forging ahead, Liz.  Well done.  My character is involved in a village fair and participating in contests.  I know this should go into research, but does anyone have an idea what happens at these things?
I did well until I came home to a furnace with a snoring beastie and John hogging the pc.  I don't mind that, but they are both loud!
#193 - August 08, 2010, 10:36 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Cyn, yeah, there's that.  What was I thinking??

Maybe you were thinking that between the kids and the hubby they could handle the laundry so Mommy can write??? Works for me!

Yesterday I got about two thirds of the way through the first draft of the PB I've been needing to write.  :yay  Gonna finish today and then ignore it for a while before doing revisions. It's quite a bit different from what I've done before, which is why I think I've been putting it off. I think it's working, though!!
#194 - August 08, 2010, 12:34 PM

@cynmarko

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
This week ALL I am doing is the wedding cake for my grandson's wedding (on Wed night). And yes, I will be posting photos soon...
#195 - August 08, 2010, 04:37 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Okay so I can post here if I write but don't get to 1,000 words, right? I'll probably be here more often than the other club  :smile
#196 - August 08, 2010, 05:37 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
So, OK, how does this work? I don't want to sound like a goody-goody and post every day, but I am reeeaaally excited about my new project, and have worked on it every day since, um, Tuesday, I think - 3,000 total words so far! Is a once-a-week summary fine for this club?

Kip

PS Why do I never have this kind of motivation/time during nanowrimo? Very inconvenient, my timing ...
#197 - August 08, 2010, 06:07 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Oh, another cake, Verla!! I remember the baby one you posted some time ago! I'm excited to see the wedding cake!!

kiperoo, I think this club is pretty informal. post as often or as infrequently as you wish.  :yup
#198 - August 08, 2010, 06:57 PM

@cynmarko

Okay so I can post here if I write but don't get to 1,000 words, right? I'll probably be here more often than the other club  :smile
Oh, another cake, Verla!! I remember the baby one you posted some time ago! I'm excited to see the wedding cake!!

kiperoo, I think this club is pretty informal. post as often or as infrequently as you wish.  :yup
You two are making me feel like such a cheat.  I post in the 1,000 words thread all the time.  I don't think I have quite managed it.  I did well yesterday, but I have to take the snoring beastie down to the vets this moring and he can sense something is happening.  Writing will happen later.
#199 - August 09, 2010, 02:30 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
NO writing for me until this wedding is over. Today is the first time I've felt like I'm "on top" of the cake. All the cakes (four double layers) are baked, filled, frosted, and in the freezer, ready to be transported to the reception site. (An hour away from us... still nervous about that!) Since they will be frozen when we start out, hopefully the layers won't slide apart or anything before we get there. I have wooden dowels in them to help hold them in place and to support all the layers.  It's going to be a big cake! It ended up with 15 cake mixes in the entire cake.  

All of the decorating of the cake will happen the morning/day of the wedding, after it is placed on the table. That way, nothing will slide off the cake. :weddingcake

Yesterday I made homemade pretzels, so I could get a tree trunk for a palm tree to put on the cake over the ceramic marriage couple cake topper they bought. They are lying in the sand. I tinted clear piping gel a beautiful blue and made a "water" top of the cake for the couple to be in so it looks like they are on an island. (They are going on a cruise to the eastern caribbean for their honeymoon and they wanted a beach-themed cake.) I also made some gum paste palm leaves yesterday that are finishing drying and they are looking pretty good. Later today I have to hot glue the leaves to the trunk and also glue the rocks and shells to the sand (brown sugar) divider that will go between the top two layers of cake. I THINK I have a hot glue gun out in our big room with the scrapbooking stuff.

I bought chocolate and blueberry rocks, and fondant sea shells to put on the cake. I tinted the sea shells pastel colors with edible glitter. They look amazing! It's going to be a fun cake!

I'd planned to spend most of today practicing making the shell borders, stars, and other decorations I'll be putting on the cake. But...

my husband's suit pants are too small for him. I knew they would be, but of course I couldn't get him to try them on until today. So... now we have to go find a new pair of pants that will go with his suit jacket (which fits perfectly) or... if we can't find pants to blend with it that look good, then he'll have to get a whole new suit. Pain in the neck!   Thank heavens I got him to try them on this morning, and he didn't wait until the day of the wedding to discover he couldn't wear them.

So I guess we're going shopping today. Oh, joy. I'd rather be home practicing those shell borders!  Oh, well. At least I have one more day to practice before I have to put the cake together on Wednesday.  I'm taking photos at each step of the way, and will put them together in an on-line album when the cake is done so you can all see what I've been doing. The biggest problem was when I went to put the first of the two 16" square bottom layers of the cake into the oven. The pan I'd bought was 2" too big and the oven door wouldn't close!  So... I had to bake it in three 1/2 sheet pans and cut one of the cakes into thirds and use two of them with the other cakes to make it the right size. It worked. I got a photo of the cake... not fitting in the oven! Good thing I started this project days in advance of the wedding!
#200 - August 09, 2010, 07:28 AM
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:31 AM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

mswatkins

I have worked on WIP and wrote over a 1,000 words in hours and a half... so I get to post again on the 1,000 word thread. It's a great day!!!!

****** Wow, I really need to proof before posting. What a mess! Oh well, I was so excited I didn't even notice.

What I meant was: I have worked on my WIP and wrote over a 1,000 words in an hour and a half.

That's much better.  :duh
#201 - August 09, 2010, 07:46 AM
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 06:11 AM by msw »

I have worked on WIP and wrote over a 1,000 words in hours and a half... so I get to post again on the 1,000 word thread. It's a great day!!!!
I really do get envious when  I read posts like this.

Verla,
It sounds like you are having an eventful time and taking on quite a lot.  I hope it goes well and I love the cake.
I have just realised that I have been living with John fourteen years tomorrow, so writing is on the back-burner then too.  We usually do something rather unusual at such times...like go for a drink.  Me hating beer and all...
I might get around to writing this week.
#202 - August 09, 2010, 09:56 AM
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:51 AM by thunderingelephants »

C. Lee

I will do it. I will do it. I will do it. I promise myself. Yes. Here I go. Right now. That WIP is getting words and scenes are happening and characters are going to get real. Yep. That's just about to start . . . that writing.  :oncomputer
#203 - August 09, 2010, 10:06 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Verla, that sounds amazing!! I can't wait to see pics!! I decorate cakes too, but so far just my kids' birthdays. I haven't taken on anything as ambitious as a wedding cake. Your decorations sound awesome!
#204 - August 09, 2010, 10:52 AM

@cynmarko

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Oh, and I've been WIPping yesterday and today, too.  :whip

Still not finished the first draft, but I'm on the ending. For me that's the hardest part.
#205 - August 09, 2010, 11:01 AM

@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
NO writing for me until this wedding is over. Today is the first time I've felt like I'm "on top" of the cake. All the cakes (four double layers) are baked, filled, frosted, and in the freezer, ready to be transported to the reception site. (An hour away from us... still nervous about that!) Since they will be frozen when we start out, hopefully the layers won't slide apart or anything before we get there. I have wooden dowels in them to help hold them in place and to support all the layers.  It's going to be a big cake! It ended up with 15 cake mixes in the entire cake.  

All of the decorating of the cake will happen the morning/day of the wedding, after it is placed on the table. That way, nothing will slide off the cake. :weddingcake

Yesterday I made homemade pretzels, so I could get a tree trunk for a palm tree to put on the cake over the ceramic marriage couple cake topper they bought. They are lying in the sand. I tinted clear piping gel a beautiful blue and made a "water" top of the cake for the couple to be in so it looks like they are on an island. (They are going on a cruise to the eastern caribbean for their honeymoon and they wanted a beach-themed cake.) I also made some gum paste palm leaves yesterday that are finishing drying and they are looking pretty good. Later today I have to hot glue the leaves to the trunk and also glue the rocks and shells to the sand (brown sugar) divider that will go between the top two layers of cake. I THINK I have a hot glue gun out in our big room with the scrapbooking stuff.

I bought chocolate and blueberry rocks, and fondant sea shells to put on the cake. I tinted the sea shells pastel colors with edible glitter. They look amazing! It's going to be a fun cake!

I'd planned to spend most of today practicing making the shell borders, stars, and other decorations I'll be putting on the cake. But...

my husband's suit pants are too small for him. I knew they would be, but of course I couldn't get him to try them on until today. So... now we have to go find a new pair of pants that will go with his suit jacket (which fits perfectly) or... if we can't find pants to blend with it that look good, then he'll have to get a whole new suit. Pain in the neck!   Thank heavens I got him to try them on this morning, and he didn't wait until the day of the wedding to discover he couldn't wear them.

So I guess we're going shopping today. Oh, joy. I'd rather be home practicing those shell borders!  Oh, well. At least I have one more day to practice before I have to put the cake together on Wednesday.  I'm taking photos at each step of the way, and will put them together in an on-line album when the cake is done so you can all see what I've been doing. The biggest problem was when I went to put the first of the two 16" square bottom layers of the cake into the oven. The pan I'd bought was 2" too big and the oven door wouldn't close!  So... I had to bake it in three 1/2 sheet pans and cut one of the cakes into thirds and use two of them with the other cakes to make it the right size. It worked. I got a photo of the cake... not fitting in the oven! Good thing I started this project days in advance of the wedding!
Verla, I can't wait to see the cake pictures!  I am tired for you, just reading all that you had have to do!
#206 - August 09, 2010, 11:24 AM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

I worked on my WIP today. I cut and I add, and the thing never really gets any smaller. I think I will need to finish smoothing out the plot and then devote one rewrite to simply tightening things up.
#207 - August 09, 2010, 07:41 PM

mswatkins

Thunderingelephants - Don't be envious. I fell very short of that mark today.  :faint
#208 - August 10, 2010, 06:09 AM
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 06:13 AM by msw »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Ooooooh! I have been averaging between 300 and 800 words most days, but I got 1132 today!!!! I am NOT posting in the 1,000 words club, because this is definitely not an everyday occurrence, but  :yay
#209 - August 10, 2010, 06:56 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
awesome kiperoo!!  :onfire You're on fire!!
#210 - August 10, 2010, 06:59 PM

@cynmarko

Members: