SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Big difference in scale, Fiona--you write PBs and I write YA...300 words for a PB is a HUGE deal!
So sorry to hear about John...I know things are tough over there.  :hug
[/quote]
Marissa,
The trouble is, these I don't know what I write anymore.  It used to be PBs but these days, the word count is slightly larger, so is the plotline so I am pretty certain it would be more of an early reader.  I don't think I have written anything much over 3500.  My current one is 4200 and I haven't finished it yet.  It lurked, unfinished in my longhand folder, wilting away until I decided to air it.
Of course, then there is revision but I can't afford the ticket there.  That will have to wait.

Marissa,
Thanks for your thoughts.  John was kind of expecting it so he wasn't completely shocked.  What's crazy is that he was given a week off because he hadn't taken them this summer and then he's being laid off permanently three weeks from yesterday.  The only thing we're apprehensive about is getting under each other's feet.  This place is tiny and eerily quiet which is why I go out to write.
Did well today: 450.

Artemesia,
I am making brownies later and I think there is still custard tart in the fridge.  :chocolate I'll probably be making truffles too during the week. Indulge yourself...
#241 - August 15, 2010, 05:10 AM
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:52 AM by thunderingelephants »

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Oh, there's a very simple fix for that, Artemesia. Put in the code you think "might" be the right one. Click on the Preview button at the bottom of the Post box. Then scroll up to the top of the screen to see what your message will look like when it's posted. If the code shows up or a wrong smiley instead of the correct smiley, you haven't got the right code or the spacing is incorrect on it. You can then change it (and preview again) or delete it before you post your final message.  :yup
#242 - August 15, 2010, 09:21 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
thanks Verla!!! I will try that!  :thankyou
#243 - August 15, 2010, 09:28 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Verla, you manage the Blue board, you write, you bake amazing cakes and you can even ride a bike.  :bow :bow

(You do not want to know what the last layer cake I made looked like - let's just say we ate it off the cake plate with spoons :dr)

I ripped My WIP top pieces, I took out more words than I typed.  :lmao
#244 - August 15, 2010, 01:05 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw

I ripped My WIP to pieces, I took out more words than I typed.  :lmao

Sometimes that's the best kind of progress, though, lizstraw!  :moose
#245 - August 15, 2010, 03:23 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I know, I just dislike having to do all that rethinking.  :p
#246 - August 15, 2010, 04:26 PM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
 :chickendance :chickendance :chickendance :chickendance

I cut my almost 900 word PB to just over 700 words today. It's 721 to be exact. The sub guides say the PB has to be 700 or under. Not sure what else I can cut and have the thing make sense.  :bricks
#247 - August 15, 2010, 05:00 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Is it possible this story might be better suited to a publisher that accepts longer PBs?

I truly believe that if you are losing readability by cutting your ms down too much, that it's not worth cutting those words. And yours does not seem excessive. A lot of places still accept PBs up to 1000 words.

I hope you find a happy solution.  :flowers2

ETA: I have 3 pbs I'm working on right now, one is 610 words, one is 631, and one is exactly 1000. The one with the big word count I hope to still be able to cut a bit, but I don't see it getting under 900, maybe not even under 950. For the type of story, I need that many words to tell it properly. I hope whoever I end up subbing it to will agree.  :crossedfingers
#248 - August 15, 2010, 05:18 PM
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 05:27 PM by Artemesia »

@cynmarko

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I once had to cut an author's note for one of my books from the originally submitted 1250 words... down to 63. Now THAT was a real lesson in cutting! Then my editor graciously allowed me to bring it back up to 125 for the final version. I was so thrilled when I was able to put back some of the fun stuff in that author's note.  

It CAN be done, but it can also take the "heart" right out of some stories. You have to decide if it's worth it or not to cut it that much for that particular market.

One thing I learned was the only way you can sometimes cut a story enough is to take out entire scenes. Sometimes they are some of your favorite scenes! But if a scene doesn't actually move the story forward, no matter how delightful it is, it should be cut from the final story. But don't throw it away. SAVE it. You can often build a new story (that might even be a better one) from that scene.
#249 - August 15, 2010, 10:26 PM
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:29 PM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Verla, you'll be so proud of me! I used your trick in another thread and was able to type the code for a Halloween smiley!! see? :blackcat

And I re-revised my PB today. One critiquer thought the ending was too long, so I cut it down. Then another said the cut down version was too short, and they thought the longer was more satisfying...so I merged them and came up with what I hope is a happy medium.  :bangcomputer
#250 - August 15, 2010, 11:54 PM

@cynmarko

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Hooray, Artemesia! And yes, I AM proud of you! See how smart you are?  :goldstar :mouse :goldstar
#251 - August 16, 2010, 05:19 AM
Verla Kay

mswatkins

I wrote a good bit today, but more importantly I solved a sticky point in my WIP and may have come up with an alternative ending because of it. A conclusion I'm starting to like a whole lot more than the one I have planned. Not only that, I wrote one paragraph that I absolutely love, and the closing sentence made my back tingle. I just looked at it and said, "Whooooaaaaaa..." This has never happened before.
#252 - August 16, 2010, 08:42 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Sweet, msw!! Sounds like a productive day!!

I'm still fighting with my ending, but once I start dummying this one, I always find more things to cut. So, this one might have to wait till I've finished the dummy for the first one. Why aren't there more hours in the day? or maybe less kids in my house?
#253 - August 16, 2010, 08:55 AM

@cynmarko

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Hooray, Artemesia! And yes, I AM proud of you! See how smart you are?  :goldstar :mouse :goldstar

thanks Verla!!!  :moose
#254 - August 16, 2010, 08:57 AM

@cynmarko

I had quite an expansive time in my coffee haunt today, so I took the opportunity and intended to write and revise.  Of course, I did what I always do and logged on here and elsewhere instead. 
However, I did manage to banish my modem to the depth of my pocket and a got a poor 200 written.  Now I am at home and John is clacking away at the pc keyboard, the cat is beside me.   
You would think I would be able to concentrate, considering I usually write in a busy coffee shop, but no, the pair of them are too much of a distraction. I can ignore strangers but not these two.
On the positive side, for once I love my character.  He is completely mad and a bit of a rogue.  That's never happened with me before and it feels weird.
#255 - August 16, 2010, 09:41 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
With some awesome suggestions from my cg, this morning I was able to cut my ms monster down to 963!!  :goldstar
#256 - August 16, 2010, 10:46 AM

@cynmarko

mswatkins

Cutting nearly 40 words from a PB is a big deal.  That takes a bit of work. Well done!  
#257 - August 16, 2010, 11:01 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Cutting nearly 40 words from a PB is a big deal.  That takes a bit of work. Well done!  

Totally! I owe it to my crit group! They are awesome.  :bow
#258 - August 16, 2010, 01:30 PM

@cynmarko

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I think we need to add a giant pair of scissor to the emoticons.  I am still chopping away.  wait, this guy might work. :grrr
#259 - August 16, 2010, 06:15 PM

Poster Plus
 :woo I am awesome. I cut my PB text down to 706 words. Next week I begin on the pencil thumbnails for the dummy.  :snoopy

And CP says the story is more satisfying and has more personality now, to boot!

Thanks Verla, for putting up a thread for us short manuscript writers. :goldstar
#260 - August 16, 2010, 06:20 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
that's awesome, Lyon! And I know for me when I start to dummy, I always see other things that I can cut out of the text because the art makes it redundant...so you may still find a way to come in under 700!
#261 - August 16, 2010, 06:39 PM

@cynmarko

Poster Plus
that's awesome, Lyon! And I know for me when I start to dummy, I always see other things that I can cut out of the text because the art makes it redundant...so you may still find a way to come in under 700!
:neck at only six words shy, I have no doubt it will happen. Thanks!
#262 - August 16, 2010, 06:42 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin

Poster Plus
The thing about cutting is it isn't just striking out words. (At least not for me.) It's more like finding ways to say the same thing with fewer words. No wonder I am tired after cutting over 100 words from my PB text. I think I'll sleep well tonight.
#263 - August 16, 2010, 06:45 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Yup. I had serious brain drain the other night after revising. And for PBs you are absolutely right, it's how to say more with less.  :eh2
#264 - August 16, 2010, 07:30 PM

@cynmarko

I spent Saturday fleshing out a new idea. I love it when a new idea comes. :love
I worked on my WIP today. I managed to merge three chapters into two, and the result is much stronger. The rough draft rambles a lot, so in this first revision I am simply working on pulling out the plot and getting rid of the rest.
#265 - August 16, 2010, 07:51 PM

Okay, I'm trying to post a little earlier, so I don't tempt myself to stay up all night playing on the computer. I did work on my WIP today. I deleted some words and added some words and ended up with roughly the same word count  and in the same chapter as when I started. It's so much easier to track progress when I'm drafting than when I'm revising.

Oh, Verla, awesome cake.  :applause
#266 - August 17, 2010, 09:20 AM
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:28 AM by Michelle DP »

mswatkins

This little thread has helped me so much. I have no idea why it matters to me that I get to post on here when I write, but it makes a difference. Thanks, Verla!

It was a difficult day of writing, but I did move forward.
#267 - August 17, 2010, 10:15 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
:love msw. Now if I could just get this thread to make ME work on MY WIP....  Seems like there's always something else more important. (Like trying to find all the paperwork for 2009 taxes before the extension deadline hits us and getting our big house ready to sell -- it's being listed at 3pm today! EEK!)
#268 - August 17, 2010, 11:27 AM
Verla Kay

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I agree, msw. This is my new favorite thread.  :love

You sure are one busy lady, Verla. I think you need this smiley ---> :juggle more than I do.
#269 - August 17, 2010, 11:59 AM

@cynmarko

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Just checking in...managed to start new PB AGAIN after the first version got lost when borrowed laptop died last week.  Less than 200 words, but as Cyn pointed out, it's near impossible to get anything done with all the kids in the house!  I also wasted much of the morning helping my technology-deficient MIL creat a blog on wordpress -- she lives 5 hours from here, so it was all via email.

Anyway.  I wrote.
#270 - August 17, 2010, 02:24 PM

Members: