SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

You see, this is where I have a ridiculous problem.  In the 1990's I wrote stories about a series of stories who not anthropomorphic, but fruit and my cousins as well as any other child loved them, which is why I dumped them.  I got it into my mind that if children liked them, publishers would not go near them.  They were ALL under 700 words and I have never been able to achieve that since.  Besides, I was always terrified they would be too much like someone else's work.
It makes me want to BLARGH!

#271 - August 17, 2010, 03:08 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I snipped away at the first thirty pages of my WIP again.   :ninja2

I am refusing to look at my word count I do not want to know what it was or how much I cut.  All I know is it is beginning to sound a lot better.  Read a lot better.  Oh heck, you know what I mean.  Do I know what I mean? :crazy
#272 - August 17, 2010, 05:18 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Only a few lines today, but at least there's forward momentum.  :)
#273 - August 17, 2010, 05:27 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Forward momentum is ALWAYS good!  Especially over summer vacation.
#274 - August 17, 2010, 05:34 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I didn't work on my WIP today.  :faint

I critiqued a PB for a crit partner, tho. That should count as work. (for you too, Jen!!)

I guess I should say I didn't work on my WIP today...yet. I still have time!!
#275 - August 17, 2010, 05:35 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

I didn't work yesterday either, because I was entertaining my father who was giving me his annual visit from Spain.  We went to a wildlife reserve but the usual torrent of questions he asked about why I am not published made me want to  :guns him.  He is an English teacher, he should know better.
Today I am visiting my mother who has just returned from spreading my grandmother's ashes so I won't be writing today either.

Oh, and the cat is drinking my coffee again. 
I might get around to scribbling a few lines on the bus out to my mum's house.
I know all of this should be in another thread, but it is all sort of related to my w.i.p. Perhaps you can forgive me and I might work tonight under dim light.
#276 - August 18, 2010, 01:57 AM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
I know this thread is about *gasp* words, but as an author/illustrator I switch between the two creative focuses. So while no words were written yesterday  I did rough out a pencil sketch and send it to an editor for approval. Does that count?

Waiting to hear back from crit partner on PB text before moving into dummy stage. I think I can take out a few more sentences by drawing what they say in the illustration. ;)
#277 - August 18, 2010, 06:56 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
hehe Lyon, I asked the same question and was told it counts!!  :paint So I'm there with you. I have a dummy I'm working hard to finish, and two other mss that I'll be starting to dummy soon.
#278 - August 18, 2010, 09:16 AM

@cynmarko

I did a little more smoothing and the story is really starting to take shape. Tomorrow I plunge ahead into a new chapter. I am so glad to have this thread to report my progress. It just gives me that extra push to make progress.
#279 - August 18, 2010, 09:32 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
awesome, Michelle!  :cheerleader
#280 - August 18, 2010, 09:44 AM

@cynmarko

Hey Everyone,

I'm joining the club :partytime even if I just write a sentence or two I will be happy.  I have way too many excuses, some are legit, others are selfish (my DVR is both my enemy and my friend).  This place is great!
#281 - August 18, 2010, 10:50 AM
Keep moving foward - Walt Disney

Children's Librarian, Writer

http://twitter.com/m_julian

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome, Michelle J.! Every sentence counts...even the ones you edit out. :yup
#282 - August 18, 2010, 10:59 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I have a dummy I'm working hard to finish, and two other mss that I'll be starting to dummy soon.

I know what this means, but it struck me so funny.  All I could think of was I am the dummy in my mss.  :dr :dr :dr
#283 - August 18, 2010, 11:18 AM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I know what this means, but it struck me so funny.  All I could think of was I am the dummy in my mss.  :dr :dr :dr

OMG ME TOO!!  :giggle
#284 - August 18, 2010, 11:22 AM

@cynmarko

Welcome, Michelle J.! Every sentence counts...even the ones you edit out. :yup

I'm so glad to hear that, because I delete a lot!
#285 - August 18, 2010, 12:00 PM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
 :love :hearts :sing :woo :snoopy :grouphug2

We all deserve a big hand, chocolate and your favorite beverage of choice.

I am happy I just sent in the final art for the spot art I was working on. *starts handing out warm brownies*
#286 - August 18, 2010, 04:26 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Five hundred and four words so far today.  Now if I can only retrain myself not to keep checking email, etc. a dozen or more times a day, I might get more like 2500 done.   :feelbad
#287 - August 18, 2010, 04:47 PM
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Oh, I am so there for warm brownies!!!  can we put whipped cream and caramel sauce on top?  :chesirecat

Go Marissa!! and um...ditto about the email, etc... :embarrassed2
#288 - August 18, 2010, 05:55 PM

@cynmarko

Surprisingly I was able to pump out 600 plus words today (a total fluke).  Normally I'm in the same email boat as Marissa and Artemesia.  And don't get me wrong I LOVE this forum but checking the new posts can be a but addictive as well.
#289 - August 18, 2010, 07:09 PM

Tinamarie

Yes, I often struggle to get out 500 words at a time.  But yesterday I did over 800!  But I'm taking forever to finish the dang chapter I'm in (I'm doing the slash-and-burn first draft, so it's not like I'm even fine-tuning AT ALL.  Still just figuring out how the heck to get from A to B to C in each of my scenes.

I put the cart before the horse and treated myself to chocolate already, having not yet written today.  Will now try to be motivated by guilt!
#290 - August 18, 2010, 08:08 PM

Tinamarie

OK - got about 805 words done tonight, finished that chapter.

Hope everyone's having a great writing night!
#291 - August 18, 2010, 09:35 PM

I got a severe dose of insecurity on Tuesday before I turned off the laptop and met my Dad.  I looked at my w.i.p and thought have I really written that carp?  Haven't started yet today, but maybe I will be a little more positive. :fury
Apologies for moaning, I have severe insecurity issues currently.  Unsupprotive family members don't help.

Artemesia,
Thanks for your support.  Always appreciated.  I took my work in with me to my coffee haunt and did some serious work which I was pleased with.  I'm now at home & Moggy is beside me, looking severely jealous of my laptop.  Actually, I have just had to bribe him off my lap with a treat.  That should keep him busy for a while.

Looks like everyone is forging ahead. Well done.
#292 - August 19, 2010, 06:31 AM
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 11:22 AM by thunderingelephants »

MaryWitzl

I'm a new member of this club!  I've waited to post here; I told myself that I'd do this once I'd managed a solid week of working on revising my current WIP. I hope I'll be able to do this regularly over the next month... :crossedfingers
#293 - August 19, 2010, 06:51 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Hey Mary! Nice to see you here!!

Fiona, sorry about the off day.  :hug

Awesome Tinamarie and Michele J!  :cheerleader
#294 - August 19, 2010, 08:53 AM

@cynmarko

Atemesia -  warm brownies with caramel sauce are the best, but I'll probably pass on the whip cream.

I can relate to the feelings of insecurity. Even as I work on my WIP, I ask myself if anyone other than me will want to read it. Part of this is the pacing. The story is slow to develop. I keep wondering how it will fare in today's fast-paced world.

That said, I finished the chapter I wanted to work on today, and it does exactly what it needs to. I rearranged a few scenes and they fell so neatly into place, you'd think I had planned it that way all along. I love it when that happens.
#295 - August 19, 2010, 09:26 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I like my brownies with coffe ice cream.  :)

Hey Mary, good to see you here!
#296 - August 19, 2010, 09:36 AM
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

amykated

The kids are back in school which means I finally have time to write again. Oh, it feels so good to have that time be mine again. Today I got to work for 3 hours uninterrupted! I've been working on this story for a year now and the end is in sight. I can feel it in my bones. I will finish it this fall! Yay!
#297 - August 19, 2010, 12:18 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I revised the ms for the dummy I'm working on. I hadn't read it in entirety in a while since I've been doing the artwork, and I opened it yesterday and decided it needed an ax taken to it.  :grrr I think it's pretty tight now.

awesome, amykated! I'm eagerly awaiting the first day of school, which in Canada isn't until Sept 7th or 8th...gonna throw a party when they go back!!  :yay
#298 - August 19, 2010, 04:01 PM

@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I worked on mine today, on the deck with my laptop. I could barely see the screen which I found to be great because I got so many words down! Of course most are misspelled but it was a productive process.  :typing
#299 - August 19, 2010, 04:55 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Shanny,
You sound quite productive. Furry laptop is annoying me again but in between peeling him off the keyboard and trying to type, I think I have achieved a miserly fifty words.
That will change later.  Plus, I think the end is near. :chickendance

I've finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheerleader
As you can probably gather, I am rather happy about it.
#300 - August 20, 2010, 02:34 AM
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:08 AM by thunderingelephants »

Members: