SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hi other new people to this club! I've been posting here a couple of weeks, and it's definitely helping me stay on track. I only had one day so far when I couldn't get any writing in (but to be fair it was after a 6-hour drive and a family barbecue). Anyway, nice to meet you all, and good writing vibes!

Thunderingelephants, your dad is from Spain?? Awesome! My husband is from Spain, and I love-love-love it there!
#301 - August 20, 2010, 09:02 AM

:yay Thunderingelephants! It feels so good to finish something.  :chesirecat :chesirecat :chesirecat

I spent two hours picking through scenes in my rough draft deciding what to keep and what to discard. The work is slow :snail , but I keep telling myself that in revising it's quality that counts--not quantity.
#302 - August 20, 2010, 10:34 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Congrats thunderingelephants!!  You must be sooo excited!  I can't wait to post when I'm finished!
#303 - August 20, 2010, 11:09 AM
Keep moving foward - Walt Disney

Children's Librarian, Writer

http://twitter.com/m_julian

Thanks guys, I suppose I'll have to book a long stay in Revisionland.
Kiperoo,
My dad's actually Irish, like me. His wife is Basque (don't EVER call her Spanish!) and Dad's lived in San Sebastian for around 25 years.  He is an English teacher but had to learn Basque to teach some of his older and younger students.
I probably got my love of the English language and expressive nature from him, but not the intellect, which according to many is totally different to intelligence.
Hmmm...maybe that's a topic for discussion.
#304 - August 20, 2010, 11:14 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Yay on finishing, thunderingelephants!

I just got an email from my editor today asking for yet MORE changes to my Civil War Drummer Boy manuscript. (The one I sold to her in 2001.) So while I didn't write on my WWII POW story today, I did make the requested verse changes in the drummer boy book and send those to her. So I worked on something besides cleaning and sorting through stuff in our house. (We have it up for sale. http://tours.tourfactory.com/tours/tour.asp?t=651734 )
#305 - August 20, 2010, 11:32 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I found soooo many mistakes! :bangcomputer
#306 - August 20, 2010, 12:21 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I didn't do any actual writing today, but I've been working on the outline, and completing a bit of research for the YA I'm developing. So, I have 4 WIPs I'm currently working on.  :crazy

I think I need to clone myself... :chicken :chicken
#307 - August 20, 2010, 03:10 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Well, I wrote the first 180 words of IF WISHES WERE PONIES today! :)

Probably won't get to do much more writing on it again till next week, but at least I broke the ice! ;)

Rue
#308 - August 20, 2010, 04:32 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Rue, I really like the title you went with!! (saw your title help thread the other day) Congrats on the start!
#309 - August 20, 2010, 04:52 PM

@cynmarko

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Thanks, Artemesia! :)

I didn't used to worry about titles too much, but I've found that having a really good title to start with helps me find my focus. I hope (if/when I find a publisher for it) I won't have to change it, but if I do, I'll be okay with that too.

Rue
#310 - August 20, 2010, 07:26 PM

I didn't do any actual writing today, but I've been working on the outline, and completing a bit of research for the YA I'm developing. So, I have 4 WIPs I'm currently working on.  :crazy

Ouch that sounds painful! In my humble opinion, I don't think having that many projects is crazy.  They say should always have two on the go to prevent  :banghead :writing
On to my next story. but which one?  Hmm...
Won't be writing for now.  The Snoring Beastie is too much of a distraction. :cat
#311 - August 21, 2010, 03:15 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I was going to work on the WIP last night but I took my kids to see Nanny McPhee Returns instead. What a great movie! We loved it as much as the first one! OK, no excuses, I'll get back to it sometime today.  :oncomputer
#312 - August 21, 2010, 09:32 AM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

I can finally post in this thread!!! :yay Wrote about 700 words in a brand new chapter for my WIP's second draft this afternoon. Not a heck of a lot, but it's progress! :chesirecat
#313 - August 21, 2010, 06:33 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Hooray for progress, Joanna! It's a very good feeling....
#314 - August 21, 2010, 10:06 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

:applause
I can finally post in this thread!!! :yay Wrote about 700 words in a brand new chapter for my WIP's second draft this afternoon. Not a heck of a lot, but it's progress! :chesirecat
That's my philosophy every time I write A word, Joanna.  As I have said so many tmes before, youguys who write 1000 word a day are amazing.  I've yet to pen to paper yet today, but it's not even lunchtime in Ireland.  Have to fill the tummy first.  Plus my laptop was invaded the furry beastie boy.  He's a tough guy to move when he wants to be. :
Then again, that's what coffee shops are for.  Progress report later. :typing
#315 - August 22, 2010, 05:01 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Got about 700 words done yesterday before we went out in the boat...hopefully lots more in the next few days as we're about to get all the rain we should have been getting all summer in about three days.
#316 - August 22, 2010, 06:06 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Tinamarie

Good luck with selling your house, Verla!  I don't know how you manage to do everything that you do (gorgeous wedding cakes included)

Congratulations, Joanna!

My gains have been modest.  A few days ago I added all of maybe 100 words to my first-draft WIP.  Tonight I've come up with interview questions for some research I have to do, which is good but also a way of avoiding the painful plodding through the first draft.
--------------------
Postcript:  added a measly 237 words to the WIP.  Better than nuttin'.
#317 - August 22, 2010, 08:40 PM
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 09:33 PM by Tinamarie »

mswatkins

I probably did about 500 words today. I wrote more than that, but did a good bit of editing - aka deleting - today.  I did finish my climax!  Now I have to write the final chapter and wrap it all up.

I don't even want to think about revisions..... Ohhhhh.  :gaah
#318 - August 23, 2010, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the cheers, everyone!! It is SUCH a great feeling to be back at it again! Life is always better with a novel to work on. :smile Today, I finished the scene I started on Saturday, and it turned out to be quite useful in terms of both plot AND characterization, so… bonus!!

Cheers for you all! :cheerleader
#319 - August 23, 2010, 05:44 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
 :cheerleader indeed!!

Only about 200 words so far (still working) but starting chapter five and feeling like I'm starting to get into the complications of the plot.  :ha
#320 - August 23, 2010, 06:24 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Not today, but last night I wrote about 300 more words. Beginnings are usually fairly slow for me.

Rue
#321 - August 24, 2010, 11:33 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Everybody's got some nice steady progress!!  :cheerleader

I haven't gotten to anything today yet, but I worked on my outline a bit more yesterday. It feels like the pieces of the story are falling into place....
#322 - August 24, 2010, 11:41 AM

@cynmarko

:cheerleader indeed!!

Only about 200 words so far (still working) but starting chapter five and feeling like I'm starting to get into the complications of the plot.  :ha
Good for you, Marissa.  I love it when I see posts like this.  200 is a big deal. :yup  Now, if it was 2000, I would probably  :grrr
Lots of planning today and research, but that's all stopped now because the snoring beastie is loud and I can't concentrate.  Bring on tomorrow....
#323 - August 24, 2010, 11:47 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Life is always better with a novel to work on.

Dude! I am totally with you, Joanna! Still chugging along from on the road! Congrats to everyone for keeping this up!
#324 - August 24, 2010, 12:37 PM
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 01:54 PM by Verla Kay »

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Did we say working on it in your head counted?  I am trying to figure out how to do more  :ninja2  chopping and still keep my first sentence. I think I may have it... but I had to do so much thinking I think my head may explode.   :stars :feelbad :gaah

:invisible - look my head is gone.  OH NO.  Now how do I write, oh yeah, I just type, forget the head....
#325 - August 24, 2010, 04:14 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Heads are overrated... :paperbag
#326 - August 24, 2010, 04:49 PM

@cynmarko

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
My WIP is now 10,500 words long, but 4500 words are very rough notes I copied from my brainstorming folder. So the good count is approx 6000 words, including 270 new ones today.
#327 - August 24, 2010, 06:33 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
 :crutches  I am bleeding words.  I cut out all (except for my first sentence) of my first chapter, reworked the second chapter and am still chopping away.  :grrr

Okay, I admit it does sound better.  But it hurts...  :paperbag
#328 - August 25, 2010, 09:00 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Oooh, the PAIN of cutting!  :writing  :wait :crutches

I understand. Really I do. My editor once made me cut my author's note for a book down from 1250 words to 63 words. SIXTY THREE MEASLY WORDS! :faint   I did it. But it was SO painful. Then she relented and allowed me to "up" it to 150 words. I was so thrilled to be able to put back in a wee bit of the flavor that had been in the original author's note!

Take heart. As long as you have kept a copy of them somewhere, those wonderful words in that first chapter might be just the thing for a scene in your NEXT book. They aren't "gone," they are just "on hold" for right now.
#329 - August 25, 2010, 09:29 AM
Verla Kay

I worked on my WIP today--probably longer than I should. Then I received a revision request on a previous manuscript--so I may not be working on it for a while.
#330 - August 25, 2010, 12:54 PM

Members: